News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 engine color

Started by Walter, March 08, 2010, 02:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter

Hi:
I'm cleaning up the engine compartment of my 1937 series 75 sedan and will need to paint the engine.  What color was used in 1937?  I've seen some of the engines painted gray, some green, and some black.  The porcelain on the manifolds will need to be reapplied as well.  What color was used in 1937 and any advise on who to use to refire it?  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Paul Tesone

Walter - I had  similar questions .Search under "1937 engine block color". I didn't get any specific answers but I did list some quotes from the authenticity manual which may be helpful to you . Also look under " general discussion" and click on the response I just left under the title " 1937 cadillac front shocks/ porcelain manifolds" . Good luck - hope this helps . Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Classic

I got my '37 engine paint from Bill Hirsch and have been delighted with it.  I've also heard the story about a slight difference in color for the flathead years.  If true, I suspect it would be hard to tell the difference unless you had both cars side-by-side.  I've had my car judged several times and the only comments I've had are about how great the engine looks.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

Walter

Thanks for the tips, guys.  I want to be as accurate as possible. 

Walter

tozerco

Walter,

If you want to be as accurate as possible for the '37 then you will need to find a source for a "Chrome Green" which is not the Bill Hirsch colour (though Bill's is close). I haven't found a source anywhere and I believe the "Chrome Green" was changed in either '38 or '39 when the colour that Bill Hirsch does provide a very accurate copy for was used. My "new original" '37 75 series block had the "original" Chrome Green colour and it is certainly different to Bill Hirsch's. Unfortunately, any other supplier that claims to have a "Chrome Green" doesn't supply the colour (even if it is the same as in 1937) in engine paint.

Regards,

John Tozer
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

Walter

I'd love to see a photo of your engine.  You'd think somebody would reproduce this color.  Thank you for your time and reply.

Mark Lowery

Quote from: tozerco on March 09, 2010, 11:10:35 PM
Walter,

If you want to be as accurate as possible for the '37 then you will need to find a source for a "Chrome Green" which is not the Bill Hirsch colour (though Bill's is close). I haven't found a source anywhere and I believe the "Chrome Green" was changed in either '38 or '39 when the colour that Bill Hirsch does provide a very accurate copy for was used. My "new original" '37 75 series block had the "original" Chrome Green colour and it is certainly different to Bill Hirsch's. Unfortunately, any other supplier that claims to have a "Chrome Green" doesn't supply the colour (even if it is the same as in 1937) in engine paint.

Regards,

John Tozer

John,
Well this is a very interesting observation to me as I too own a 37, albeit the more humble LaSalle 5019.  Is it your understanding that Cadillac used the "Chrome Green" on all series in 1937? 

In general terms, how would you say that Chrome Green differs from what Bill Hirsch is supplying and/or Bell-Tel green?  In other words, to your eye, does it appear to be more yellow, more blue, brighter etc.  Have you ever tried to track down a polyester Powder coating color that would match what you are seeing on your 37?  I'm assuming that the same suppliers common to the USA also supply powder coaters Down Under.

Mark Lowery

tozerco

Mark,

I don't have the '37 75 series Authenticity Manual at hand right now - I will check it tonight - but I seem to recall reading in it that the colour of the '37 block was originally "Chrome Green" and that this was discontinued either half-way through '37 or later when "Chrome Green", which is a mineral powder that had other, strategic (?military?) uses around that time, became unavailable or just too expensive. This is certainly confirmed by an inspection of my "original" 75 series block sitting next to my Bill Hirsch green sprayed block - there is a distinctly more yellow tint to the original colour, not that I ever swear that something 73 years old that has been taken apart at least once and probably twice can be truly descriobed as original.

It happened like this for me:

I re-built my "tank" engine, bought the Bill Hirsch paint when you could still ship that stuff and re-sprayed the re-built engine block.

I then came into possession of the "new" block and noticed a distinct difference in the yellow tint to the paint, even in locations that had been hidden to light and UV for years. I recalled reading something in the Authenticity Manual about this and the comparison side-by-side of the two paint products confirmed what I had read.

Perhaps someone who was involved with the comments in the Manual can throw some more light on it.

Won't help solve the problem of sourcing the correct paint colour much I guess but we might sleep a bit easier at night....

Regards,

John Tozer
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

John Tozer #7946

Walter,

From the Class 7 and 9 Authenticity Manual:

"While there is strong evidence that chrome green is correct for 1936 through 1938, the correct color has to be treated as theory. It is known that the government "War Resources Board" greatly restricted the use of chrome and the dull green is probably correct starting 1939."

This is certainly consistent with the checks I have made on my '37 75 series, '38 LaSalle and '41 "tank" engines. The '37 and '38 blocks are definitely different (more yellow green) than the '41 (the "dull" - Bill Hirsch - green).

John Tozer