News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac Seville 1982 (Iran) 1976-1979 body style, Interesting trivia

Started by Eric S. Maypother #15104, October 07, 2010, 11:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Eric :)
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Davidinhartford

The Tassie Devil(le)

Maybe that the engine didn't have sufficient power to perform a burnout, or the driver didn't have the skill to perform a proper burnout?

One of the other video's there showed a Jeep trying to drive over a Brougham, but couldn't get any further than putting one wheel up on the side of it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eric S. Maypother #15104

I was trying to show that it shows in the comments that these Sevilles with the 1976-79 body style were made in Iran by Cadillac Iran till 1987. I don't know if they produced that same body till 1987. This Seville is titled as a 1982, was wondering if this is factual. I guess I could have added that in first post.

In the second video this guy has, which may be staged it shows the Seville with minor front end damage and a completely crumbled Peugeot it was supposed to of hit.

From Wikipedia;

"The Seville Cadillac was manufactured in Iran under the brand name of "Cadillac Iran" from 1978 to 1987 by Pars Khodro, which was known as "Iran General Motors" before the Islamic Revolution. A total of 2653 Cadillacs were made in Iran during this period. This made Iran the only country assembling Cadillacs outside the US until 1997 when Cadillac Catera was based on Opel Omega and built in Germany for US market."
1990 Cadillac Brougham

Davidinhartford

Actually only 800-1000 Sevilles were built in Iran.    I have a book on Sevilles that documents the event.  GM set up a plant in Iran and sent over 6 Cadillac employees to oversee the operation.

The first car was built on March 1st,  1977.   The first 70-80 cars were painted gold and went to the Iranian government.  About 800-1000 Sevilles were assembled by late 78 when production ceased due to political turmoil.   A total of 2100 CKD kits were sent to Iran for assembly.  So only half were built.    Each crate had only one type of part, so anyone who wanted to assemble one car had to find all the crates!

GM of Iran was bought out after the revolution.  An enquiry to the new company in August of 1983 brought the reply that only 37 Sevilles had been assembled since the revolution, and that nothing was known of the missing crates.  

The book may still be available.  The ISBN number is:   0-85045-551-0

Title:  Cadillac Seville; Rear & Front drive: Diesel: 1975 on.

By Thomas Falconer

Eric S. Maypother #15104

Thanks for info David, that's interesting, I know Wikipedia isn't always 100 percent accurate.

Makes you wonder what happened to the rest of the parts, some parts would fit other cars but some would fit Seville only so unless they smuggled them out of the country they wouldn't have much of a customer base.
1990 Cadillac Brougham

TJ Hopland

What did they use for engines?  Were they the same EFI olds?  Or did they send em a bunch of diesels?  Or was it some other motor they made elsewhere?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Davidinhartford

According to the book. the Sevilles were fitted with a non-emission, special high output engine which gave at least 20 bhp more than the domestic engine. 

TJ Hopland

I wonder if they were EFI's, my guess would be no.   Ya never know what engines or parts GM may have had laying around and I bet without the emissions to worry about they could slap just about anything in there.   Since our stuff was loosing 20 hp per year maybe they just had a pile of last years carbs or cams laying around. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

Davidinhartford

It is surprizing that none of the original gold Sevilles have turned up in some Saudi collection.  I'd guess they used a carb'd version of the Olds 350 so it would drop right in to the Sevilles motor mounts.

TJ Hopland

That is what I was thinking, they had a bunch of say 77 (or earlier) carbs left that wouldnt meet 78 emissions here.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV