News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wheel balance weights for 72 Eldorado

Started by abriddell, November 20, 2011, 03:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abriddell

I am the new owner a 72 Eldorado convertible that belonged to my uncle before he passed away; also new to the forum.  I'm looking for wheel balance weights totaling 2.5 oz that will accommodate the wheel covers.  Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks much, Andrew Briddell.
Andrew Briddell
1972 Eldorado Convertible

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I don't remember the technical name for these weights.  They have an extra
long shank that accomodates the wheel cover so that it snaps on tightly.  My
'73 Eldo needs them so I've had to look for them as well.

Most large tire stores still stock them.  My local Firestone dealer does.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

TJ Hopland

I believe they are called CAX.    I was told that they are no longer made due to the low demand and the switch to non lead materials but they still seem to be around.   One shop I went to told be that I would have to order (and pay for) a 'set' which I think was 10 pieces of a larger weight and they would just cut them down as needed rather than guess and order several sets.   I ended up finding another shop that had some in stock.  Sadly it did not help my vibration issue. 

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

Andrew:

Congratulations on your acquisition.  If you are not a member of the Cadillac &  La Salle Club you should consider joining.  The cost of a membership is minor compared to the benefits, not the least of which is the award winning club magazine entitled the "Self Starter".

Now, an answer to your question.  The wheel weights are known as CAX weights and can be ordered from All Tire Supply.  Please see the below link. 
http://www.alltiresupply.com/c-Wheel_Weights.html   You should note that they will not ship to all states because of the lead content.  You will also see them for sale on Ebay and at swap meets from time to time.

Another possibility may be to use regular weights on the back side of the wheel.

Bill Hedge

62droptop

a solution is to have the tires static balanced, which means have weights installed only on  one side of the rim, the inside
not quite as nice as regular balancing,but for most all instances close enough to get the job done
i static balance all my tires on my alloy wheels of my non cadillacs as i do not want a weight hammered on the polished alloy

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Andrew,

Welcome to the lovely world of Cadillac ownership, especially the '72 Eldorado model, as I also have one.

I have these CAX wheel weights in stock, but the postage from way down here would be more than they are worth.

I purchased mine from All Tyre Supplies, Sorry, All Tire Supply, but had to purchase them in bulk, so have excess to my own requirements.

If you can't find any new, try scrounging the wrecking yards and look for these Cadillacs and look to see if any of the wheels have the CAX Weights attached.   Then, approach the yard owner and see if he will let you take some.   That is how I got my initial supply.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

I have found a few online sources fore these but they only have the larger sizes (which you can in theory cut down) and come in boxes of 25 or more.  Net price each looked to be around $1 each without shipping or other extras.  I found a local shop that had some and was willing to balance my tires and sell me some of what they had which included some of the smaller ones.   I imagined I was going to offer him about $0.25 each and was going to end up with a few hundred that I could then separate into kits I could sell to other members here.  Turns out he wanted $2.50 each.  I thought again about ordering the bigger ones online but decided I might as well just get myself a small assortment there in person where I could see they were the correct part rather than order something online from a vendor I never heard of.

Before I found this shop I was going to have them try using the tape weights they use on fancy aluminum wheels.   All the techs looked at the wheels and did not see any reason they would not work.  The placement would be about in the same spot as it goes on the aluminum ones.       
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Viator Trudeau

RE: wheel wt.s for 72 Eldorado, I have had 100% good results balancing alloy wheels using the stick on wt.s on the out side edge,of the flat portion under the rim (for the out side of the wheel) no interference W/ hub cap and
the regular wt.s on the inside of the rim. 
This method also worked well on my 68 ELDO.   Be sure the rims are true, no wobble or hop.

Viator Trudeau  #8697

R Schroeder

66 Eldo

Ditto on the sticky weights for the outside.