News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bleeding Brakes on my 57 Series 62

Started by Dan Koser, January 23, 2012, 12:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Koser

I've replaced the wheel cylinders and rebuilt the master cylinder; I've not touched the power brake unit....it worked before I started the restoration, and I'm hoping it will work now. I've followed the shop manual and tightened the star wheel, then backed it off 14 clicks. Following that, I bled the power unit at the two locations, then proceeded to each wheel cylinder (RR, LR, RF, LF). At the end of all that, I have minimal bubbles....and yet have virtually no pedal to show for it. Of course I have to go back through and check everything, but am I missing something here? All this was done with the engine off. Any advice would be appreciated. Regards,   Dan

TJ Hopland

I dont know about the booster but in general make sure who ever is pushing on the pedal is pushing it all the way down and holding it there.  I have had a few assistants that just were not pushing hard enough or didnt have long enough legs to get all the way down. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

walt chomosh #23510

Dan,
The master cylinder should(must) be bled,generally before any other bleeding is done....walt...tulsa,ok

Walter Youshock

Bleed the entire system starting with the master cylinder fitting (lower one on the booster), then the upper one on the booster then: left front; right front; left rear and right rear cylinders in that order.

The hydro-vac is weird.  The whole booster is "wet" in that the master pushes the fluid into the booster where it is expelled under pressure to the cylinders.  One bubble anywhere and you'll notice it.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Dan Koser

Quote from: Walter Youshock on January 23, 2012, 02:48:13 PM
Bleed the entire system starting with the master cylinder fitting (lower one on the booster), then the upper one on the booster then: left front; right front; left rear and right rear cylinders in that order.

The hydro-vac is weird.  The whole booster is "wet" in that the master pushes the fluid into the booster where it is expelled under pressure to the cylinders.  One bubble anywhere and you'll notice it.
I bled the lower fitting first, then the upper one, but the wheel cylinder order you've outlined I've never heard of before. You're saying do the shortest runs first, and I was taught just the opposite. I'll give this a try though, because I've got pretty much nothing doing it my way.  Regards,   Dan

Dan Koser

Quote from: TJ Hopland on January 23, 2012, 08:27:26 AM
I dont know about the booster but in general make sure who ever is pushing on the pedal is pushing it all the way down and holding it there.  I have had a few assistants that just were not pushing hard enough or didnt have long enough legs to get all the way down.
Understood TJ, and my assistant is "vertically challenged"...however, she's been helping me for 42 years now and this is the first time I've run into this problem. I'll try Walter's wheel cylinder order of bleeding and see where that gets me.  Regards,    Dan

Walter Youshock

Yes--start at the cylinder closest to the master and work outward.  I've always done it that way on my '57.

Do you have the Shop Manual?
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

David King (kz78hy)

I always go the farthest away and work to the smallest.  Doing the booster fittings in the correct order 1st is important.  That is in the manual.

A lesson learned the hard way is to make sure the brake pedal is returned ALL THE WAY.  Otherwise the master cylinder does not get a full refill.  So now I stick my toe under the pedal and make sure it is all the way back when bleeding brakes.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Walter Youshock

I just looked at the manual and it doesn't specify which cylinder order to go in.  I swear I read it someplace.  Could have been on this Board.

Maybe I've been doing it backwards all these years!  I'll try it the opposite this Spring.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

The Tassie Devil(le)

Yes, always bleed the farthest away from the M/C first, then progressively end up at the closest one.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Coupe

I was having a difficult time getting a hard pedal on my '57 when I rebuilt the brake system. I finally called Ed Strain, the person that rebuilt the master and booster for me, and was told the following:

1.) disconnect and plug the line from the booster and then bleed the booster.
2.) reconnect the line from the booster start with the farthest wheel ( right rear) then left rear, right front and finally left front.

It took a while to get all the air out compounded by the fact I was using DOT 5.

1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Walter Youshock

Thanks for the info!  Looks like I'll be rebleeding the system.  I usually do it every year or two anyway.  I had a wheel cylinder freeze up on me because of rust and the car almost burned up after a 90-mile drive down the PA Turnpike so I religiously change the brake fluid now.

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Renato

Always starting the farest cylinder. Brake must work without booster brake. Evry cílinder pump 3 4 times and hold the brake pedal. Sy slowly open the air screw (I do not know the english name :)). Important to close before the brake pedal ht the floor.
R. Bognar

Dan Koser

Quote from: Coupe on January 27, 2012, 10:13:01 AM
I was having a difficult time getting a hard pedal on my '57 when I rebuilt the brake system. I finally called Ed Strain, the person that rebuilt the master and booster for me, and was told the following:

1.) disconnect and plug the line from the booster and then bleed the booster.
2.) reconnect the line from the booster start with the farthest wheel ( right rear) then left rear, right front and finally left front.

It took a while to get all the air out compounded by the fact I was using DOT 5.

Coupe....can you clarify? There are two lines tied to the booster: one leads to the master cylinder and the other feeds the rest of the brake lines. Which line do I disconnect before bleeding the booster? Both? Any help would be appreciated.  Regards,   Dan

Roger Zimmermann

Dan, just a little bit imagination: if you disconnect the line coming from the master cylinder, how could you bleed the booster?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Dan Koser

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on February 02, 2012, 03:52:07 AM
Dan, just a little bit imagination: if you disconnect the line coming from the master cylinder, how could you bleed the booster?
Apparently your imagination is better than mine.

Coupe

Dan, disconnect the line going to the wheels not the the line from the master. The master cylinder is essentially a slave cylinder that operates the booster.
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2