News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

'01 DHS leaks questions

Started by Gene Beaird, May 08, 2013, 09:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Beaird

I have a friend who recently picked up a 2001 DHS.  Nice car.  White pearl with tan leather interior.  The interior needs some cleaning, as does the engine compartment, but the car shows nicely.  It has right at 100K miles on it.

Anyway, he was looking the car over, and noted a couple of leaks under the hood.  One is a coolant leak on the passenger side.  It seems to be a slow leak, with coolant pooling in the recesses of the lower control arm. 

The other appears to be transmission fluid, and it's on the driver's side.  There's no pooling, but the left side of the engine/transmission around the coolant lines that run around the periphery of the engine/transmission are damp with oil.  The fluid doesn't have the usual ATF smell, although it is red colored. 

The engine compartment is PACKED.  There's 50# of stuff in that 25# bag!  He's been all over the engine compartment but has yet to track down the source of the leaks.  He had the driver's front wheel off the car when I was at his place, trying to find the ATF leak.  I was unable to discover anything, either. 

Are there any common places these cars leak?  If so, where? 

Additionally, he pulled the engine cover off, and the rubber tubing on the PCV valve and the vent line on the other bank were damp with oil.  He figured that would be a quick hose replacement.  I suggested he also replace the PCV valve, because it may not be functioning properly, hence the oil on the hoses.  Is that a good diagnosis, or are there other potential issues? 

He's hoping he hasn't picked up a money pit, and is prepared to dump and run if these are serious issues.  He's just wanting a nice DD.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873