News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

New Acquisition: 1977 Coupe deVille; 17,000 miles

Started by Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621, May 25, 2013, 12:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Just acquired a 1977 Coupe deVille with 17,000 miles from the widow of the original owner in Tennessee.

The car is all original right down to the belts, plugs, plug wires and hoses. I've been looking for a minty 1977 Coupe deVille in 3x black w/leather or 2x black w/red leather for 25 years. Very hard to find mint survivor Tri-7s in black, earth tones ruling the day. Car is one of the most untouched I've ever seen. It still had a surplus body shim laying on the passenger side inner fender well, a bolt laying on the intake manifold and two wide strips of black tape affixed to the base of the windshield below each the wiper blades. Unbelievable.

Drove the car right home to PA (600 miles) right with 36 yo hoses and belts on the car. Never missed a beat. It's a Cadillac after all.  ;D

The steering wheel looks as if it were NOS- the most perfect I've ever seen. Car has all kinds of original documentation: I found no less than 3 build sheets inside the car- one under the seat, one under the trunk carpet and one attached inside the right inner fender.

The car was built November 1, 1976 at the Linden NJ plant.

Car is still on the original title dated November 18, 1976. Original bill of sale and even the dealer prep sheet all came with the car.

Carburetor still even has the two black caps over the idle adjustment and fuel mixture screws to prevent tampering. My own mechanic said he hasn't seen those on one of these cars in 35 years.

It's really a treasure and I'm glad to have been able to secure an example in such a state of preservation- in BLACK. Black leather would have been the Holy Grail but red leather is a very close 2nd.

Enjoy.

**Incidentally, I believe this car might just invalidate the "No tape pinstripe from factory" theory. The pinstripe on the car is tape and there is no painted pinstripe underneath however "Crimson" Accent stripe is recorded on the build sheet. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Some more.

Can only post two at a time, unfortunately.

More...

Note extra shim laying in inner fender for 36 years!

Black tape pieces still stuck at base of windshield below wiper blades. On similar Cadillacs I've owned the past, I've seen just a small strip remaining. I've never seen the complete tape before. Perhaps the dealer forgot to remove at prep?

UPDATE: I just received the following message from a gentleman from another site who had worked on Cadillac assembly lines from 1976 until 2008:

I know what that tape is for---- it was the cover the hole in the firewall where the evaperator core and A/C housing so that rain would not get into the car when the bodys were in transit form Fisher Body to the final assembly plant.
Someone just didn't do a good job at removing it prior the the A/C module install.
You are safe to remove it.

Carefully pulled some of the tape stripe back to reveal there was no painted accent stripe underneath. The paint is indeed original and the car was ordered with "Crimson Accent Stripe" according to build sheet.

This car had to have left the factory with tape pinstripe.

J. Skelly

That's a nice acquisition, Eric.  It puts my 7000 mile '77 Biarritz to shame that I bought in 1998.

Jim Skelly
CLC #15958
'68 Eldorado
'77 Biarritz
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

Walter Youshock

It's about time you got another one of this era.  Resist the urge to turn it into a daily driver...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Quote from: J. Skelly on May 25, 2013, 12:58:01 PM
That's a nice acquisition, Eric.  It puts my 7000 mile '77 Biarritz to shame that I bought in 1998.

Jim Skelly
CLC #15958
'68 Eldorado
'77 Biarritz

Thanks Jim. Mind you the car still needs some minor sorting: All the silver trunk-to-bumper filler literally cracked and fell apart like peanut brittle simply by washing the car when I got home. The rear black fender fillers have all turned gummy slime and are also cracking so all the rear filler pieces need replaced. Those danged fillers. Those ABS repros are terrible compared to the originals. I already got an NOS filler that goes in the bumper where the gas door flap lowers down, which is completely soft and pliable. I still need the long piece that spans between the taillamp/ bumper ends. That goes on in 10 minutes so I'm going to wait until I find one NOS.

No choice but to go with ABS on the fender extensions unfortunately.

The little chrome corner pieces that go on the extensions just above the bumper were still on the car but also came off when I was washing it. I still have those. 

Quote from: Walter Youshock on May 25, 2013, 01:31:39 PM
It's about time you got another one of this era.  Resist the urge to turn it into a daily driver...

Not to worry Wally- no way this would ever be a daily driver. Once it's all sorted, it won't even be allowed to get wet.

joecaristo

Lots of luck! the car is beautiful and nicely optioned. Even the plastic wood trim around the horn pad looks perfect and they're always cracked. Bring it to the Boston Grand National for all to see.
Joe
Joe Caristo

pinkcaddy96

C.R. Patton II

Hello Eric

Congratulations on your acquisition! I look forward to seeing the car at our Grand National in Boston.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for all the kind words. Unfortunately Boston won't be happening for me.

Rest assured however, 2014 Lake George is carved in stone- I don't care if it's in a hurricane or I'm in a stretcher, or both.

After living & breathing Cadillacs since 5 and 23 years in CLC it will only be my 1st GN (very embarrassed to say).  :-[  Turning 50 that August- so I'll sure need a pick-me-up.

**Couple more paper goodies: Bill of Sale, Pre - Delivery Inspection Procedure sheet.

76eldo

Wow, nice car.  To me, nothing is nicer than a red leather interior.  Gleaming black paint, chrome, red leather, man that's the deal right there.  You cannot beat these low mileage original cars. 

Enjoy!

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Davidinhartford

Congrats Eric!

You are a mad man for driving that far with original hoses.  LOL

I bought a low mileage 1980 St Regis a few years ago with original everything.     The upper radiator hose blew on the freeway on the way to take it to my mechanic for an inspection.   What a mess it made.

Beautiful 77 CDV.   Love love love that red interior!    :D

CaddyShackPA

Congratulations, Eric! What a great find - it's just beautiful. Count me as much preferring the red interior to black. Enjoy...
J. Papciak   #23864     
'59 Coupe DeVille
'69 Eldorado  
'72 Coupe DeVille  
'77 Seville
‘81 Fleetwood Brougham  
‘89 Brougham 
'92 Sedan DeVille  
‘95 Fleetwood  
'02 STS   '10 CTS-V   ‘17 CTS

Louis Smith

Quote from: David Smith on May 25, 2013, 09:00:40 PM
Congrats Eric!

You are a mad man for driving that far with original hoses.  LOL

I bought a low mileage 1980 St Regis a few years ago with original everything.     The upper radiator hose blew on the freeway on the way to take it to my mechanic for an inspection.   What a mess it made.

Beautiful 77 CDV.   Love love love that red interior!    :D

Thats why everyone should carry duct tape in their emergency repair kits.  Don't leave home without it.  Also panty hose for quick belt fixes.

DeVille68

Wow. These are the most valuable cars in my opinion, since you can see how the factory did it. They can give a guideline for restorations and accurate informations. But they may have some individual touches.

Regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)