News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Power Window Master Control

Started by SamuelWilson, June 26, 2013, 03:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamuelWilson

Hi everyone,

My name is Samuel Wilson and this is my first time on Cadillac Forums. Im working on a 1956 Cadillac de Ville Sedan.

I was hoping to get some reference and advice in regards to fixing the power window control switch on the drivers side.

A week ago, the master control switch could raise and lower both front windows and the rear left, but not the rear right.

The individual control switches on the doors all worked, except for the rear right window.

Today I tried the master switch and none of the windows would respond.

The individual front right and rear left window controls work on those windows, but the driver side control switch doesnt work.

I think I need to remove some of the trim on the door to access the control unit on the drivers side.

Has anyone done this kind of work on a 56? If so, could you offer some suggestions?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you,

Samuel

J. Gomez

Samuel,

If you have the Service Manual on Section 14-73 you will find an electrical diagram for the windows and the 2-way seat.

If the individual switches still control the window functions this indicates you have power from the main circuit breaker. If your rear right is not working you may have a brake on the main 12V source (red wire).

The right window hardness runs from the left side channel across to the right side parallel the front edge of the front seat. The 12V is spliced on the right channel for the front and rear switches. You will need to remove the carpet sill panels and the covers plates to gain access to the wiring.

You may need to removed the master control switch and disconnect it from the connector, the switch just clips on the door panel via a metal frame. There should enough slack on the wire hardness to pull the connector about an inch or two from the door panel. 

Inspect the contacts at the connector.

Verify you have a +12V on the red wire at the connector.

Check continuity on all the switches up/down positions from the main 12v feed (long brass bar). You may need to disassemble the switch to clean, adjust and lubricate (dielectric grease) the contacts.

These should give you a head start on your problems.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

SamuelWilson

Thanks a lot sir, it certainly gives me a good start.

I'll keep you posted!

Samuel

carguyblack

Samuel,
If you need a hand repairing your master switch, give me a call to walk you through it. Jose is correct in what he told you but it may be a little frustrating your first time through!
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

SamuelWilson

Thank you Chuck that would be much appreciated!