News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Any source for 1952 steering box gasket kit ?

Started by Philippe M. Ruel, August 05, 2013, 08:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe M. Ruel

The manual steering box on my '52 works well with minimum play, but it's leaking, and what comes out looks like honey...  guess I'll have to open it, clean everything and replace all gaskets.

I can't find any supplier for a gasket/oil seal kit, any address ?
USA P**** S***** offers complete rebuild for $500 plus shipping - forth and back from France may easily double the bill, no thanks.
1952 60 Special in France.

Jeff Maltby 4194

41-51 rebuild kits here http://www.cadillacpartsltd.com/19camastgebo.html

I won't bother to re-gasket it like I did on my 49 as it still leaked with 90 w. I bought a bottle of No Smoke engine oil treatment from Auto Zone, which took care of the problem.

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Raymond919

Do a search on this. I believe Jay Friedman offers some advice on what he did. I think it was a product called Penrite he used. He drained out the fluid from the box and substituted the Penrite. Do the search because I'm not sure about the name.

Jay Friedman

Right on, Ray.  I bought Penrite Manual Steering Box Lube from Restoration Supplies in Escondido, Calif.  I needed 2 bottles.  It slowed down the leak considerably but did not eliminate it. 

Some people install a grease fitting in place of the filler plug on the steering box and fill it with chassis grease.  I don't know anything about whether that is a good thing to do or not.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: Philippe M. Ruel on August 05, 2013, 08:56:11 AM

USA P**** S***** offers complete rebuild for $500 plus shipping - forth and back from France may easily double the bill, no thanks.
I would not do that either! You may get a nice steering box back, but the inside could be in the same condition as before...
Many years ago, I let restore a brake system by a company in Florida. When the booster/master cylinder came back, it was very nice. I filled it up with brake fluid; unfortunately, no fluid came out so I had to open it. What I saw inside was not nice at all.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Classic

Gene Menne
CLC #474

Jeff Maltby 4194

Frank Decou cut his eye teeth on 49's back then when new. He said they leaked when new so they drilled the filler cap for a grease fitting and pumped in the grease.
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

R Sotardi #11719

Be wary of using grease. It produces a tunneling effect as the gears turn through the grease and leave a void. Penrite works about as good as any thing. The issue is the pressed - in pitman seal that tends to seep a bit as the shaft turns. This is a flaw in the Saginaw recirculating ball non power systems.

Philippe M. Ruel

Thanks for your inputs :)

Quote from: Jeff Maltby 4194 on August 05, 2013, 09:49:06 AM41-51 rebuild kits here http://www.cadillacpartsltd.com/19camastgebo.html
I sent them an email asking whether it may fit a '52 manual box. No answer so far, but why would they write "41-51" if it worked on '52s as well ?

I couldn't find older--than-'59 products at Lares'

Quote from: Jeff Maltby 4194 on August 05, 2013, 09:49:06 AMI won't bother to re-gasket it like I did on my 49 as it still leaked with 90 w.
The one on my car had not leaked in the past 20 years - since I own the car.
This must be the only place on this car with no leaks, as the whole underneath has been rustproofed by a heavy, solid coat of mixed engine, transmission and axle oil.

If I can't find a kit I will give the Penrite stuff a try. Ordering it from the US is not possible (hazardous product) but I found out they sell it at fair prices in the UK too.

Classic

Gene Menne
CLC #474

Jay Friedman

Phillippe,

Penrite Steeering Lube is an Australian product also sold in the US and the UK and possibly elsewhere too.

Jay
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Philippe M. Ruel

Quote from: Classic on August 09, 2013, 07:47:46 AMDid you see page 170 in the Lares catalog?
I did after your clue, and found out that Lares offers rebuild only, which I can't afford because of shipping cost.

No reply from Jeff's link (Cadillac Parts, Ltd) after about 2 weeks, either they don't read messages or their kit won't fit.