News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Autronic Eye

Started by Coupe Deville, August 14, 2013, 05:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello i have a 1959 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible. It has a autronic eye but i have never touched it. I would like to start using it. It would be cool if it works. I have no idea how to use it and operate it. I don't know if the relay is good, wires? Amplifier? Any input on how to use it and test it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

curly

X2, same here on my 59. It doesn't work, never has since I had the car. I'd like to get it working again.  I wonder if any electrical gurus have figured out how to use transistors instead of tubes for the amplifier?

T Lewis

Jeff Wilk

It is pretty neat when it works.  I have one working in my '59 but not my 1975 (still no headlights on that one since the drive at night in Boston at the GN).  Best part was recently when someone in the family was bragging about the new invention they have on their new car that dims the headlights when a car is approaching........should have seen the look on their face when I told them about Cadillac having this since the 1950's!!!!!!  These truly were cars way ahead of their time....... 8)
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Matt Innocenzi

Hello fellas,

I have a '58 and '62 with this feature and I was in the same boat.  There were some major changes between 1958 and 1960 with this feature, including its operating voltage and name change from Autronic Eye to Guidematic.  I managed to get mine working again, so I can give some tips.  Bear in mine my '58 may be slightly different from the '59, but hopefully this will help. 

First thing I did in my '58 was replace the old vibrator with a solid state one.  In 1958, these units operated on high voltage, so a vibrator was needed to convert the DC current to AC within the "brain" (amplifier) of the unit.  The other thing I would recommend is replace all the paper capacitors with the new ceramic ones.  Antique Electronic supply makes solid state vibrator replacements and new capacitors.  On the back of the amplifier are two rheostats for "hold" and "dim".  I would replace those as well, particularly if yours no longer rotate. 

I would also recommend a thorough cleaning or replacement of the power relay.  The contacts within it can get dirty and not make contact.

The eye itself usually does not need replacement.  The amplifier or power relay are the usual suspects. 

I did all the above on my '58.  The system worked and I tried to adjust it.  When I did, I got a nice 200 volt surprise touching something wrong on the amplifier.  After I nearly went number 1 in my pants, I figured I would leave well enough alone.

Bear in mind these old systems are very primitive and not very reliable.  They kick your high beams off and on with the flicker from a street sign or reflection which can get irritating very fast.  On the other end of the spectrum, the high beams stay on all the time which is not very nice to the guy coming towards you at night.  At the end of the day, after I was so proud of mine working, I actually disconnected it because of these issues.  Moral of the story:  be careful what you wish for, you may just get it.

In any event, hopefully my experience with the '58 system will be close enough to help you with the '59.  As a last resort, there is a nice gentleman in Illinois or Indiana named John Oldenburg (sp?) that fixes and restores these units.  If you are not up for the challenge, I can dig up his name and he can rebuild it for you.

Good luck,
Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

eldo59

Mauro Bonfitto

Coupe Deville

I have been told the amplifier on a 59 is located in the drivers side kick panel. Is that correct? Thanks for the quick responses.
-Gavin
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Walter Youshock

I believe the amp is on the kick panel on the '59.  '59 was a unique setup in that it was the last Autronic Eye and the only one with the adjustable phototube.  Don't forget the contacts on the foot switch.  Sometimes they corrode or get loose contacts.

I have AE on the '57 and never had to touch it.  It works perfectly.  As soon as I feel it won't dim, I'll move my foot to the switch and it'll dim itself.  A couple other things to check are headlight aiming and the level of the phototube on the dash.  If the phototube is aiming up or down, it will affect the light coming into the eye. 
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupe Deville

I pulled the amp out. Turns out it wasnt even plugged in. There is a grey 3 slot conector that fits in one hole of the amp and then there is a plug that has three wires. Tan, blue and red. That fits in the amp. So the grey wire fits in the amp. But the other wire harness one end goes to the amp and then there are various connecters. It might work i just dont know were these connectors. 

J. Gomez

Gavin,

Check this drawing it may help you with the hookups.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/radios/1959/59cra66.html

Although it is for a Chevrolet the wiring were similar.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Matt Innocenzi

Gavin,

The amplifier goes in between the light switch and the wiring harness for the headlights.  In the second photo you listed, those connectors go into the foot switch.  The amplifier basically interrupts the circuit between the switch and the headlights so you can override it with the foot switch when you do not want it in automatic mode.

Hope this helps,
Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

Coupe Deville

How do i gain accsess to the foot switch. It seems to be stuck in place. Underneath the car?

Walter Youshock

The switch should be screwed into the floor under the carpeting.  Odd that the amp was unplugged.  Either a previous owner got tired of it or there's another issue, like it goes crazy and flashes the lights incessantly.  My aunt and uncle had a '76 Town Car that was so touchy, the moon would set off the auto dim.  And forget driving past road signs at night.  That would trigger a seizure on the lights.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Coupe Deville

I removed the dimmer switch from the floor. It's seems as if there are too many connectors
On the autronic eye wiring harness then on the dimmer switch. You can see there is only one free connector on the dimmer switch. Any idea?

Jeff Wilk

There is a special dimmer switch for cars with the autotronic eye i believe. Looks like your system was modified for some reason. Double the fun as i like to say as now you have to figure out how to get back to the original system config And then still troubleshoot and fix it!  We really are detectives at heart too.....

Do you have a shop manual for the car?  It will show you the system and its parts.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Coupe Deville

No, not currently. I have been meaning to get one. Once i finish the brakes it will be at the top of the list.

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. I have the wiring all sorted except for the wires going to the relay. There is about 4 or 5 terminals on the relay and there is only a L shaped conecter with two wires. It fits in the relay but I feel I'm missing some wires because there are still terminals on the relay. Anyone know what terminal is what on the relay? Also witch wires are the High Voltage wires? Just want to know so I can stay away.

Thanks

-Gavin

35-709

1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2