News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Bill Hirsch vs Seymour Cadillac Blue Engine Paint

Started by Jason Edge, September 07, 2013, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Edge

There was discussion on another forum thread about the Bill Hirsch vs Seymour Cadillac Blue and I ordered 3 cans of the Seymour paint and did a side by side paint test today in nice sunny, low humidity, no wind weather using both paints.

Either I ordered the wrong paint or in my eyes the Seymour paint is way off as it is quite a bit lighter and more blue-blue than the original paint.

For the test I used two primed engine valley covers. The one on the left was painted with Bill Hirsch 1949-1976 Cadillac Blue and the one on the right was painted with the Seymour 98-53 Cadillac Blue paint.

Looking at the example original piece (the extended compressor arm of the cylinder head outlet pipe that usually runs considerable cooler than the core block) below the first side by side comparison picture, the original color was darker and had a tinge of teal (blue green) in the color.  The Seymour paint also seems much thinner and believe it would definitely run easier if painting valve covers or other parts with vertical sections.

For those that think the Seymour is close that's your prerogative but I feel I've just wasted $40 on 3 cans of this stuff.  For anyone that wants a deal on the Seymour paint email me at jasonedge@nc.rr.com and will sell all 3 cans  including 2 new ones and one only used enough to apply 2 coats to valley cover for $15 + s/h.  The cleaned, primed and painted 1949 to 1967 top engine valley covers are also for sale for $35.   Your color Choice! LOL

Here are the pictures.

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Looks like no contest.

BH is the clear winner in this Pepsi challenge.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jason Edge

When I sprayed it I was seriously thinking I ordered the wrong paint but went back to the site and double checked and it is the only Cadillac Blue they offer. I think I now know why I might see some restored Cadillacs with a blue pushing toward the Ford Blue but not quite that light.  The Seymour is a very pretty color....but is not a close match from my experience of pulling in thousands of parts for the last 16 years.

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Jeff Wilk

Thought i heard at some point that BH bought the rights to the color code for the engine enamel when GM discontinued it and as such is the only source for the correct blue
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: Jeff Wilk on September 07, 2013, 01:36:25 PM
Thought i heard at some point that BH bought the rights to the color code for the engine enamel when GM discontinued it and as such is the only source for the correct blue

I doubt anyone can claim ownership "rights" to any color; however the right to label it "Cadillac" blue is probably an entirely different matter.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I fully agree with the previous posters.  Looking at the valve covers side by side,
the Bill Hirsch blue is the clear winner.  As already stated, the Seymour blue is
too "blue" and the wrong shade.  No contest.

I've used it on several cars and was very pleased.  It also doesn't run easily (levels
out nicely) if you use proper spray techniques.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Dan LeBlanc

It's not just me then.  My results were the same.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Walter Youshock

YIKES!  Now THAT'S a color difference!  They're not even close!  I think Ford blue would be closer.

Eastwood also makes a Cadillac blue:  http://www.eastwood.com/ceramic-engine-paint-qt-cadillac-dk-blue-1949-76.html.  I might have bought a can of it years ago.  I'll have to look...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Chris Conklin

Hirsch being the correct color aside; I've used it with a brush and a rattle can and the paint application is amazing. Fantastic stuff to use. If house paint went on as well as Hirsch's paint I'd paint my house a different color every year.  ;D
Chris Conklin

Walter Youshock

I've always been impressed by BH coverage.  One of the nicest spray paints I've ever used.  BUT, I did get a can once that went bad.  The paint dissolved something in the valve in the can and it wouldn't stop spraying.  It was like a bug bomb.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Belgium1958owner

Hi,

What's the reference of the correct Cadillac blue, for the engine ?
for 1958 ?

Thanks.
1958 Eldorado Seville, body 481
1956 Eldorado Seville, body 1968
1958 Eldorado Seville, body 612 (parts car)
Member of : 1958 Cadillac Owner Association
CLC # 29119
1956 Packard Four Hundred Coupe, body 3002
1956 Packard Caribbean hardtop, body 81

Bill Young

I believe the Bill Hirsch Blue to be about as close as anyone can come. I have a quart can of it and I would swear by it. On other forums it has been compared to what is called " Death Car Blue " this reference being to the engine color of a 1959 Cadillac SeVille coupe that a gangster was aparently killed in when the Car was new and the authorities held in storage for decades as evidence. People who have access to this Car use it for authenticity verification.
Sincerely , Bill Young

55 cadi

I have heard of color "rights" as one questioned.  They are trade marked
There are companies not related to automobiles that have rights to colors to prevent copy cats or counterfeiting, so I'm sure a big auto industry can as well..it's all in the amounts of the mixture of colors that make up a specific color,  to come close companies will be a minuet amount of mix off to not be liable but still have a very close color.   
1955 Cadillac sedan series 62
1966 mustang convertible w/pony PAC, now in Sweden
2005 Cadillac deville

JoeKarasinski

I'll be ordering paint for my 60 pretty soon so I'm wondering should I get spray cans or 1 or 2 quarts. I have a spray gun. Is a quart enough or should I get 2?

Bobby B

Joe,
  Hi…. Nothing but Hirsch for over 30 years. Quart can, spray it non-thinned, epoxy primer below. Will last you a REAL long time. One quart is not enough to do it right, especially if you're also painting the trans. Get it all shipped at once so you don't pay double and have to paint "scared".  Good to have some extra on the shelf anyway for touch-ups and accidents.  :o     Post some pics when done. Good Luck!
                                                         Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

35-709

Quote from: Belgium1958owner on January 31, 2015, 12:50:42 PM
Hi,

What's the reference of the correct Cadillac blue, for the engine ?
for 1958 ?

Thanks.
Cadillac Engine Blue is the same for all years 1949 through 1976.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Belgium1958owner

Thanks.

I have find the paint # ... it is 243212, by BASF
1958 Eldorado Seville, body 481
1956 Eldorado Seville, body 1968
1958 Eldorado Seville, body 612 (parts car)
Member of : 1958 Cadillac Owner Association
CLC # 29119
1956 Packard Four Hundred Coupe, body 3002
1956 Packard Caribbean hardtop, body 81

Dan LeBlanc

I'd be very interested to see what it looks like once applied. 

I've used Hirsch with good results, but the colour is still slightly off.  The blue on the underside of my 61 is still nicely intact, so I may buy some, try it, and compare.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car