News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

airconditioning condensation runoff 59 Cad

Started by MY 59, January 15, 2014, 04:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MY 59

Hi all,
just had the aircon hoses in my 1959 Caddy replaced and the entire system recharged as one or 2 of the hoses leaked.
now the aircon is nice and cold, however I notice the condensation that gathers where the metal tubes enter the evaporator drips right down and collects where the front guard bolts to the car just forward of the front door.
Surely there is something missing from my car, some kind of drip collector/diverter??
please let me know if this is normal, all aircons produce this in humidity, but surely dripping into the guard space is not a good idea

thanks
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

Jeff Wilk

Dave, that evaporator should have a hose attached to the large lower drainage port on its bottom front. That hose lines up directly with the quarter sized drain hole in the sheetmetal area that you refer to as the guard.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

MY 59

Thanks for the PM 59 in pieces, here is a pic of the area the drip is from, just at the rear where the 2 bolts are (yes you can see my drip tray for the damn transmission!!!)
Jeff, when I took the guard/fender off there was no such hose to speak of? I was thinking of just making something to do the job, but would love to see what should be there,

thanks again,
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

Glen

I assume you are talking about the metal tubing in the engine compartment where it goes into the evaporator housing. 

It is possible the pipes originally had some insulation on them.  That would prevent the condensation and the resultant drip.  But after a couple of decades the insulation is now gone. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104