News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

quiet six volt fuel system

Started by yachtflame, March 04, 2014, 06:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yachtflame

Does any one know of a quiet six volt fuel system....] I'd type fuel #um# but it seems my commuter won't type the letter after o without spell check, so bare with me.] The unit I have on my '31 is louder then the engine! I've mounted the unit with rubber mounts, tried attaching the rubber mounts to a late and using rubber feet to attach to the frame. It's still way too loud.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks,
Wayne Elsworth
Wayne Elsworth
CLC #17075

bcroe

If you have one of those reciprocating piston pumps, replace it with a rotary vane type. 
Another plan is get an in tank pump; not sure what the options are for 6V.  Bruce Roe

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Wayne,

I have used the Carter rotary vane pumps and they make noise, plus the hang vertically which is a pain to install so it is does not show, plus  they don't seem to last that long.

I like the following which is a horizontal mounting pump:

Airtex 6 Volt is E8011, this is a nice pump.

jw
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

Richardonly

When I bought my car, it was under the hood and noisy.  I had it relocated and the fools put it right under the drivers seat, when I specifically told them back near the fuel tank.

It is now as far back (near the tank) and can only be heard when priming the carb with the engine off.  Once on the road, it is silent.

Oddly, disconnected from the frame and dangling, (when it was still under the seat) it was so quiet, I had to put my ear to it to see if it was running.  (Makes you think of just strapping it in place with velcro.)
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle