News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Considering purchasing an XTS... any thoughts?

Started by gnabedian, March 30, 2014, 01:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnabedian

I'm considering purchasing either a new or executive demo XTS - does anyone have anything positive or negative to say about this model? Consumer reports, Edmonds etc. don't speak too highly about it and I'm worried about trading my Lexus for a potential headache.

Gary J. Nabedian
Bedford, MA.
CLC #12291
Gary J. Nabedian
CLC #12291

colinlikens

Hi Gary,

I have a 2010 LaCrosse.  It uses the same engine and basically the same platform as the XTS.  They are great for Buick.  But some might say that using the same equipment for a Cadillac us unworthy of the marque.  And I guess that's a fair criticism although Toyota & Lexus share much more than they care to admit unless you're talking about the LS-series. 

I think the LaCrosse is a pretty terrific car.  I had a Park Avenue Ultra (with the very fast and sturdy supercharged 3.8 V6) before this.  The Park Avenue was true to traditional big American car values more than the LaCrosse.  But the LaCrosse is REMARKABLY refined, smooth and unflappable.  It's very roomy and the build quality is excellent.  The XTS's I've seen at new-car auto shows seem nicer still, although I've never driven one.  (Critics do repeatedly pan the CUE digital control interface.  But again, I've never used one to comment on it myself.)

My parents have a Lexus RX350 and I don't like it nearly as well.  No matter how nice they get, there's something about Japanese cars that feel like joyless Stepford wives to me.  But I will concede that the two Japanese cars I've had over the years (one small Honda convertible & one big Acura) have both been extraordinarily reliable.

I don't know if any of that helps.  Good luck!

Colin

1973 Eldorado Convertible
2008 DTS
1978 Buick Estate Wagon

Rich S

The XTS is a fine riding car and extremely spacious inside. I am presently renting one from Enterprise while visiting South Florida for two weeks and it is the front wheel drive model. The trunk is cavernous! The rear seat is extremely spacious. The CUE system is acceptable to me although it probably requires some getting used to but most controls that I adjust while driving can be done from the steering wheel. The Platinum editions are extremely plush inside--even a nicer grade of leather is used! The XTS I'm renting has 6,500+ miles and it probably has been treated roughly but there is not one squeak in it and the steering has that great Cadillac ease while being precise. I've developed much more respect for this car since driving it--the ride is superb--but my main criticism would be the awkward proportions of the exterior design (short front end with large rear overhang).
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Davidinhartford

The service writer at my local Cadillac dealer told me to hold off on a new XTS until they work the bugs out of the software issues.   When people were coming in for their first oil change, the service department was doing 12-13 updates to the various computer systems.      He said to wait a while and get one when it comes off lease.   Or wait a year and get one that has updates already.   But with most new cars today, you don't want to own them when they go out of warranty.   

I waited until the 2007s to buy a DTS and avoid the head gasket issues of the older ones.   But sadly nobody told me that the motors all develop expensive oil leaks around 70,000 miles.   Just proof that GM still builds cars for new buyers, not used buyers.     I traded the DTS for a Chrysler 300.  Let's hope it fairs better.    I am planning on looking at an XTS4 in 3 years when these new ones come off lease.   Time will tell I guess if they will be headaches or not.

Bill Ingler #7799

I purchased a new 2013 XTS and have 14,000 miles on the car.  I enjoy the car other than what I see has been a problem from day one with the car. My complaint, it has been well documented from the beginning by all the reviews on the car, the CUE system. The CUE could be improved by incorporating more of the CUE controls in the steering wheel as well as using voice control. A new feature which is a great addition to the car is the projection of the speed of the car, plus the speed limit, on the windshield just below your line of sight. Another great feature is avoidance control. If you are pulling out of a parking spot and can`t get a look at traffic left or right, then if there is traffic coming say from your left, the left half of your car seat will vibrate warning you to stop. If you are backing and get too close to an object, the whole seat will vibrate. Lots of good features on the XTS. I enjoy the car and would enjoy it more if they would come up with a better CUE system which required less time with your eyes off the road trying to operate the digital controls of the CUE.   Bill

Matt CLC#18621

Service provided an XTS while ATS was being repaired. XTS CUE was a problem as was mine, took three/four software patches to fix.

ATS Turbo RWD has 20,000 miles and handles great, much nicer than XTS with sloppy FWD.
regards,
matt