News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

edelbrock manifold, does it fit under the bonnet?

Started by Thule, April 24, 2014, 07:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thule

i've bin thinking about purchasing a edelbrock performer intake manifold for my 73 eldo, 

does anyone here know if a edelbrock carb/manifold combo would fit under the hood? or wont i be able to close it :)
Ivar Markusson.  icelandic cadillac club (part of CLC)
73 Eldorado coupe.

chrisntam

I don't think it will.  You will also not be able to use the factory air conditioning compressor either.  These folks are experts, contact them, they will know.  They sell a modified factory intake that may be what you need.  That's the route that I went.

http://www.500cid.com/index.htm
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

I just installed a modified factory intake manifold from MTS (same as web site in link), and hope to finish up the work tonight and start it.  There is no way a judge could ever tell you did this.  They even paint it Cadillac blue for you.  Will keep you posted on how it runs. 

I had to fix a lifter noise, which turned out to be a bad rocker and valve stem, so original manifold had to come off anyway.  The price was very reasonable.  This is on my 1970 RWD 472 engine.  Plus all the factory stuff that bolts to manifold such as a/c compressor, coil and etc all fit perfectly.

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Thule

thank you.

after i posted this i found the answers on the 500cid forum,  what i've bin thinking about is getting ther #10 cam,  and yes the ported stock  seems to be what i would purchase,

73 Eldorado coupe.

chrisntam

I just had MTS build me a 500 using the #10 cam, ported intake, mildly ported heads (they call them "street sweeper heads", forged pistons/rods with true 10 to 1 compression.  I hope to put it back in the car this weekend and will get it up and running over the next week or two.  I'll report back on how it runs.  Its going in a '70 convertible.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Thule

thank you for that.  that is a really similar set up as i would like to have. so that will be interesting, are you in norway?

i think i would pass on the ported heads and bigger valves, . not that i dont see the need, but i think the other things will do enough, this would be in my 73 eldo fwd, a car that is just cruised on sunny days, i just think its a little to slow, i kinda expected more, and this mild cam, with ported intake i think would do the diffirence.

if i had a RWD car, that would be another story :D
73 Eldorado coupe.

chrisntam

Quote from: Thule on April 25, 2014, 08:51:12 AM
Are you in norway?

No, but I lived in Oslo for about a year back in the '70s.  Been back once or twice to vacation.  Beautiful country.

8)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Thule

73 Eldorado coupe.

TJ Hopland

Its been a while since I had the numbers fresh in my head but I think on a 71-78 Eldo there is only something like 7" from the carb pad to the hood.   I think the Edel raises the pad something like 3".    I think most carbs are close to 4" base to air cleaner base.   I could be a little off but there was a reason they used that inverted intake and the short kinda inverted air cleaner housing. 

Have you checked to make sure your mechanical and vacuum advance are working properly in your distributor?  With those stuck and or not working you will have very flat performance.   Not sure about yours but some years and versions had various do dads in the vacuum lines that would change the vacuum signal based on coolant temps.  IF that is stuck or not working that could make things less than optimum.  IF that thing is there it is usually kinda at the base of the distributor facing forward out the front of the block.  If you are still running 'points' be sure those are set properly with a dwell meter and as you rev the motor that dwell reading stays steady, if it jumps around the distributor could be worn which can flatten performance.   Also check the carb closely, there are lots of small little cams and linkage things related to the choke. IT does not take much crud or abuse to prevent all that stuff from working properly so you could be staying partially choked which becides not doing the performance any good could be locking out the secondary throttle (the 4bbl part) which you need working to give you that feel that you are going fast. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

Just started up my 1970 DeVille with 472 RWD and the MTS performance intake manifold.  Car does seem to have a little more thrust and it idles smoother.  I only drove it 5 miles last night, so will keep you posted.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Ivar,
I would second all the things that TJ mentioned.  Check all the vacuum lines and devices for leaks, and if you have the option I would suggest re-configuring the ignition and carbueration system back to a "non-smog" motor (if the law allows in your local).  Thjere was a quantum leap decrease in performance between 1972 and 1973 and all that changed was the emission controls.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Scot Minesinger

Yes, the last thing I ever complained about was the power from a 472/500 engine running stock from the factory.  In consideration of the weight of the car, it is never going to be a racer (except maybe Greg's 73 Cadillac).  Once you are sure that there are no vacuum leaks and all other checks the engine performance should be nice.  The only reason I installed the enhanced TMS ported intake manifold is that I had to remove mine anyway and one of the female threads that holds down a/c compressor was stripped(yes Helicoil, spelling?).  The power is very respectable in a 472/500 engine and it can keep pace with modern traffic with authority.

If the intake manifold was ever off before, a common sealing error is not seal all parts of the manifold besides just the 8 rectangle ports.  The bottom of the carb communicates vacuum with rocker cover via PCV valve.  the inside of rocker communicates vacuum with valley pan area via pushrod holes in head.  The corners were rubber meets head and block need to be sealed real well with RTV besides just the rubber pieces that come with the gasket.

The 500 cu in engine parts sellers say that even though the 1970 was rated at 400 hp and the 1976 is rated at less than 200hp, the power difference on dyno at the wheels is only about 10%.  The low hp rating on 1976 is also at a lower rpm, not peak of hp rpm.  This was understood to be a political move.  I drove a 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood with carb this summer and did not lack for power.  1976 Cadillacs are popular, and power is one of the reasons why.  Plus I think the 73 had a hotter cam which brought back some power.

Thule

thanks for the answers guys,

i believe you are right about the carb, it probably needs a rebuild and tuning, the car does not idle that well, and spits water/fuel out of the exhaust, both when its cold and hot,,
another thing that i could believe i'll have to check is the timing gear.

yes that is how i would describe it, the power courve seems flat, it pulls well but is feels flat, and yes i would think that it should be a little more powerfull,
the advanced timing is something i have to check also, i was looking over the engine room a bit few days ago and it seems to me everything is original, id does not have a HEI ignition cap.
73 Eldorado coupe.