News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 - disassebling side mirrors

Started by 57CaddyBiarritz, April 26, 2014, 11:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

57CaddyBiarritz

Hi there, please take a look at the attached pics.  I'm trying to remove the bottom part of the side mirror arm, but there is this pesky round clip and spring holding it in place.  Does anyone know if there is a specific tool needed to remove this clip without damaging it?

INTMD8

I used a small pick and carefully pried each tang out of the groove until I could slide the retaining clip off.  Before re-assembly I tapped the tangs back down so it would be tight. Went back together with no problems.

Walter Youshock

That's how it's done.  As for removing the mirror head from the chrome bracket--gentle heating with a heat gun or even a torch so as to not damage the chrome.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

57flw

As the others have said just pick away and tap the ring back in shape before reassembly.
Here is a couple of pictures that I hope will help.
Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood

Renato

If you can not do it (pictures are really good) write me a PM and I will send you some pictures by mail.
R. Bognar