News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 Blow-by??

Started by Bill Caddyshack, November 16, 2014, 11:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Caddyshack

I have some blow-by through the breather/oil filler on my 1958. Oil consumption is about 1 qt every 1,200 miles. Some from small leak. No oil smoke from the exhaust. It would seem that if I was burning oil that there would be smoke. I expect that most of my loss is from the leak which I don't see the point in fixing unless it gets worse. Looks like a rear seal and a quart of oil is cheaper than a fix.

However, with winter coming and the windows up, it is getting smelly!

It would seem that the breather is supposed to breath in and the downtube is supposed to breath out. Could the downtube somehow get clogged or restricted? If so, is there some way of cleaning it?

James Landi

I had a '56 with the same issue... even with the ac vents mounted on the rear of the car, the noxious fumes entered the cabin at stop lights and traffic... so here's what I, Mr. Shadetree mechanic did (that will likely infuriate some of our brother and sister members).... I drilled a hole in the oil fill cap, found a plug I could pull out of the manifold, and substituted a 1/8 inch barb--- stuck on a rubber hose and fed it into the oil cap--- VOILA--- smell goes away, and all kinds of moisture accumulated on the hose.   Do we lose some vacuum--- yes-- although, as I recall, my re-engineering did not seem to effect vacuum advance... but even if I lost mph, at least I was not toxifiying myself and passengers.

quadfins

The road draft tube really only draws when the car is moving. At a stop, blow-by gasses will be forced out equally through the draft tube or the oil filler cap, with the difference that the cap has a lititle more resistance due to the mesh filter.

My solution was to install a factory-style PCV system. I wrote an article on this some years ago, for the Self-Starter, and can send you a copy if you like. the main difficulty that you might have is in obtaining a correct fitting carb spacer with the vacuum outlet fitting. But if you are clever, you can find some way to improvise.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

James Landi

Jim did the elegant fix... I was did the quick and dirty one... I think the results are about the same, you're removing the blow by and you're evacuating it through the intake manifold. 

Ken Perry

When you run the PCV system,there will be less sludge in your engine. On 59s and 60s that I drive a lot,I always go with the PCV system,but the ones that only get driven a little I don't bother. I have taken apart a lot of Cad engines and the oil rings are always wore out,(BAD),down to the devider and in to it !Also most have about 3/4 inch or more of sludge in the pan. That is why they have a floating oil pick up! Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

David Greenburg

I installed the fix that Jim describes on my '59 several years ago.  It was not difficult, and worked well.  I'm not sure if the same is true for a '58, but for a '59, you can use a spacer from a '63-'66 car, which will have the nipple.  I have not does this on my '60, which would be more complicated since it has the tri-power.  But the engine in the '60 is in better shape and has better "breath" so I'm not as concerned.     
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Bill Caddyshack

In order not to have concern about the loss of vacuum, could I run a hose from the breather into the air cleaner on the inside of the filter - where the fumes would not go through the filter, but directly into the carb??

James Landi

Certainly worthy of a try... On my boat engines, there are no PVC valves, rather, there are pick-up tubes at the top of each valve covers, and blow-by enters the air cleaner on each side.  I suspect the marine engine approach assumes that the noxious fumes rise with the heat and collects under the valve covers-- and there is not much blow by--- of course this approach (experiment) requires a lot of holes.... the intake vacuum is much higher in the manifold...not so in the air cleaner. 

Bill Caddyshack

I have never given much thought to PCV valves. But this seems like the answer. Kudos to those who mentioned it earlier. Several possibilities here just need to locate a vacuum source. Not difficult and engineer one of these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crankcase_ventilation_system

dplotkin

Keep in mind that by plumbing your crankcase to your carb or intake you are masking a problem, not solving one. Excessive blow by sufficient to emit noxious fumes is caused by badly worn rings. Letting the engine ingest the excessive fumes will eventually fowl the plugs. Cars with PCV systems and excessive blow-by would become oil pumpers. Your blow by will get worse and gum up your carb. If it is bad enough to smell in the car it is probably making your oil pretty dark too. You should consider a ring job. Think of all the power you will get back.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker

Bill Caddyshack

Quote from: dplotkin on November 17, 2014, 03:16:50 PM
Keep in mind that by plumbing your crankcase to your carb or intake you are masking a problem, not solving one. Excessive blow by sufficient to emit noxious fumes is caused by badly worn rings. Letting the engine ingest the excessive fumes will eventually fowl the plugs. Cars with PCV systems and excessive blow-by would become oil pumpers. Your blow by will get worse and gum up your carb. If it is bad enough to smell in the car it is probably making your oil pretty dark too. You should consider a ring job. Think of all the power you will get back.

Dan

Dan, if the problem was really serious, wouldn't I be getting blue oil smoke from the exhaust? This is just a little smelly. Also a quart of oil every thousand miles and a few drips that probably accounts for most of it on the floor seems like no big deal to me. But I will run a compression check.

And I see no problem upgrading to a PVC. Pretty popular item. 

wbdeford

Not necessarily--I had a totally worn out engine with all rings broken on one cylinder.  No blue smoke at all.  Was a '69 Dodge 318.
1958 Sedan de Ville

Past:
1956 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1957 Fleetwood 60 Special
1958 Miller-Meteor Futura Landau Duplex
1960 Coupe de Ville
1966 De Ville Convertible
1970 De Ville Convertible
1971 Eldorado Convertible
1979 Sedan de Ville
1980 Seville

dplotkin

Bill, in and of itself adapting PCV is an upgrade that reduces air pollution and beyond elimination of a draft tube does nothing good or bad for the engine, unless it's a tired engine.

By the time an engine burns oil you can see, it is using a lot of oil. A quart in 300 or less miles. Now an engine can use oil and still show decent compression if its oil control rings are stuck, broken or tired. Some smokers still run good and that's why, usually.

But blow by is a different story.  Blow by is by definition combustion gasses getting past the rings into the crank case instead of pushing down on the piston to provide power. A Cadillac or any other OHV V8 in good health will show some faint vapor at idle from the draft tube and the breathers on the engine may waft a tad, especially at hot shutdown.

PCV is fine, and it may be enough to solve your problem for years to come. If you are going to PCV, do it right. Eliminate the draft tube and install a PCV valve and hose with fittings you may have to install.

Myself, I'm a purist. I like 'em just the way they were made, warts and all.

Dan
56 Fleetwood Sixty Special (Starlight silver over Dawn Grey)
60 Buick Electra six window
60 Chrysler 300 F Coupe
61 Plymouth Savoy Ram Inducted 413 Superstock
62 Pontiac Bonneville Vista
63 Chevy Impala convertable
63 Ford Galaxie XL fastback
65 Corvette convertable 396
68 Chrysler New Yorker