News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Rubber fuel line to fuel pump 76 deVille

Started by Jeff Moffo, November 23, 2014, 04:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moffo

Anyone know the procedure to replace this rubber hose from my fuel line to the fuel pump?  Mine sprang a pinhole leak today and once the car starts fuel is spraying all over the garage!
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

TJ Hopland

That diagram does not quite look correct for any of the cars on your list but must be for a later 70's since it mentions EFI.  Also does not fit your description.   The line you point to is most likely the suction line since the diagram does not show a return.  The 70's cars up front had the steel line come off the frame and then a chunk of rubber hose between there and the fuel pump.   Both the main fuel suction line and the return (if AC equipped) were this way.    The main line would leak worse when it was not running because when running its under suction which would also tend to close up minor leaks.    The return line is the smaller of the two and that one is under slight pressure so that would be more likely to leak while running.    The 3rd line off the fuel pumps in that era was the line up to the carburetor and that was always steel all the way.   It is common to have the fittings on that steel line rust up so when the pump (or filter which was in the pump in many cases in that era) has to be changed the only way to do it is cut the steel line so it can be unscrewed as an assembly.   To get running again you just re connect the 2 ends with a section of hose.     

All that stuff is regular fuel hose that you can get by the foot at any parts store.   The main lines both suction and feed to the carb are 3/8".  The return line is 1/4".  If your car has the vapor canister that one is 5/16".    If the steel line to the carb has indeed been cut and they cut the U bend out you have to be sure to use a fairly long length of line so it does not kink or something like marine line that has a much thicker wall and resists kinking among other things. 

If those lines went it may also be time to check the ones back at the tank. Its a similar arrangement back there, steel out of the top of the tank then a section of hose to connect to the steel lines along the frame.   Same 3 sizes.  On most of the 70's cars you can replace these without having to drop the tank.  It ain't the easiest thing because the rear axle is kinda in the way but its not that bad. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Jeff Moffo

TJ,
Thanks for that perfect explanation.  The diagram is from my 76 Service Manual for my 76 DeVille.  I can see that line when I stick my head under the car although I did not know there was also a return.  It comes from the metal line that runs along the edge of the frame - from the fuel tank. There is a pinhole leak in the RUBBER one...not the metal one that runs up to the carb.  It is a short section of line marked 3/8 inch and leaks ONLY when the car is running - not when it's off.  Only noticed it today as I was working on some carburetor things.
I was wondering when I remove the clamps, what will happen with the gas feeding that rubber hose? In other words, can I just take the old one off and replace with a new length and new clamps without having to worry about fuel dumping all over my garage?  I noticed it today just in time and was able to turn off the car before I spilled half a tank of 93 octane all over the floor!
Jeff M
North Jersey

Scot Minesinger

Jeff,

There are two rubber fuel lines connected to the fuel pump.  These are connected with steel spring clamps that are removed with pliers.  Need to buy a length of 3/16" and 1/4" (might be 1/4" and 5/16"-confirm before you buy, or buy all three sizes) fuel line from any Auto parts store.  There are also two in the rear of the car.  You should replace all four (each one is like a foot long, so buy 4' of each size).  This is under car work, so jack it up and put the stands under it.  Remove both rear ones first-leave off and replace front rubber lines.  The reason is if you do not and start in front, you will have a syphon.  The fuel lines on back may need a knife to remove they will really be stuck on there.   After front are replaced, install the rear ones.

Be sure and buy fuel line, not vacuum.

This is a very easy job.  Disconnect battery first, and be sure there is no source of ignition.

You will need a vessel to collect some gas as it drains out of fuel pump. 

You will not need prime carb after, just start it.  Check for leaks after you have completed the work.

BTW everything original rubber should be replaced plus timing chain and a few other things.

Enjoy your Cadillac!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Jeff Moffo

Scot,
Thanks. So it's not possible to replace just the one temporarily?!  I'd like to do all 4 but I don't have stands so I thought I'd do the front two and have my mechanic do the rear when I can get it to them. Was going to shoot over to them Friday but I hear snow predicted for NJ and my girl never gets out in the rain... And forget the snow!
Jeff M
North Jersey

Scot Minesinger

Yes:

1.  Remove a rubber hose from fuel pump and with other end of rubber still connected to fuel line to tank, use compressed air and drive the gas into the tank eliminating a syphon.  Repeat with other hose.

2.  Replace both hoses.

3.  No need to prime or anything, just start the car, and then check for leaks.

The ones in the rear are just as weak as the ones in front.

BTW buy a set of jack stands, put them on your Christmas list if people want to know what to buy you.  Also, recommend buying a good floor jack if you do not have one.  Floor jack, and or jack stands should be "SUV" type. 

Jeff Moffo

Funny. My list always is "stuff" for the car!!

As I'm doing more myself, it would be great to have the stands. Oh yeah, and a floor jack to start.

Thanks again for your clear explanations.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Jeff M
North Jersey

The Tassie Devil(le)

Jacking the car up high enough at the front will allow you to replace the hoses without losing fuel, as the open end of the pipe will be higher than the fuel in the tank.

But, use Jack Stands whilst under the car.

Plus, whilst under there, it might be a good time to replace the filter in the bottom of the fuel pump.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Gene Beaird

Jeff,

If you can reach that leaking hose from above, then you can certainly replace just that leaking hose in order to get the car running so you can take it to your mechanic.  As others have mentioned, though, it's not that difficult a job, and if you can get the vehicle raised some and safely-secured on jack stands, then you can do the other hose(s), too.  Investing in a set of heavy-duty ramps, jack stands and a jack will pay for itself quickly, with just simple repair jobs.  I'd highly recommend you get a set. 

But always, ALWAYS support a vehicle on jack stands that you have jacked up with a floor jack.  I've seen perfectly-working floor jacks just fail all of a sudden.  It's not something you want to have happen when you're under the car.  You can get nicely-priced floor jack/jack stand sets for not too much. 

For the repair, if you have no compressed air supply to blow the fuel back into the fuel tank, you may have a little fuel drain out while you have the hoses off.  I'd get a clean coffee can (or similar-sized metal container) to catch any spilled fuel into.  You'll probably get only about a cup or two, depending on how long it takes you to change the hose.  If the can is clean, you can just pour the gas back into the gas tank when you're done. 

Good luck!

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

Scot Minesinger

On 76 Caddys the fuel filter is at the carb (just changed one), not the pump like a 1970 Cadillac.

You will have to raise the car fairly high to have those hoses not lower than source of syphon at bottom of tank.

Even a $50 HD air compressor that can be used to conveniently inflate tires will work.

Like everyone writes, never get under the car without jack stand support.

Really this rubber fuel line repair is easy.

Jeff Moffo

Lots of great suggestions from everyone.  Thanks so much. 

And yes, filter is at the carb where fuel line comes into the carb.  On the '76, the fuel like to the carb is at a 90* angle - nudged behind the AC compressor.  Really fun to replace.   >:(  Mine was replaced in the spring and has about 50 miles on it!

I am a high school math teacher and only tinker with the car at night or weekends or between working part time and beings at kids' soccer games.  With it so dark in the evenings already, I usually save the work for weekends now, but weather is beginning to get bad already, so I have to bide my time and get to it when I am free and weather cooperates. And on top of things, a big snowfall is expected for Wed night into Thursday - quite unusual for where I live in NJ this time of year.

Jeff M
North Jersey

Scot Minesinger

Jeff,

Thanks for this post as I am working on a 76 low mileage Fleetwood, and I checked those rubber fuel lines and one was leaking.  Yesterday I replaced all six.  From the concept that you are just replacing pieces of tubing, with three different sizes (so cannot mix  them up) it is easy.  From the getting under the car, reaching in awkward places, grease all over it is like most car repairs.  One of the front three rubber fuel hoses was replaced some time ago and crappy spring clamps were used.  One the outer two little tabs broke and it was very difficult to remove.  Entire job took 3 hours.  I blew out the metal fuel lines with compressed air.  After Christmas during break, weather permitting, you can knock it out.  Be sure to check for fuel leaks after completion.  Supplies:  3' - 3/8", 5' -5/16" & 3' - 1/4" rubber fuel hose (not fuel injection, which is like $10/ft) plus four spring clamp of each size.  I was generous on lengths, for my job bought 6' of each to be safe (do not need that much), but these lengths will be fine.

Enjoy December!

Scot

Jeff Moffo

Scott,

Took the front hoses apart this weekend.  The supply line (3/8 ") was the one that was leaking.  It was actually damp on the outside and you can smell gas in the garage, but when the car was started, it was spraying all over.  Once I popped the rubber line off the steal line, I capped it with a vacuum line plug so barely any gas got out!  I also took off and replaced the line that I believe returns to the fuel tank.  It was not leaking, but I figured, it would eventually after almost 40 years, so hey, why not!?  That one was a real PAIN because it was almost impossible to reach the connection at the fuel pump.

Got under the fuel tank after I was done to take a look at the rear three.  Car was never driven in snow/on salted roads, so not in bad condition, so I will wait a bit and get those done, too. If weather holds out at the end of the month, it will keep me busy for a day during my Christmas break.

Thanks for all your feedback....it's good to get work done and see positive results.

Jeff
Jeff M
North Jersey