News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

2001 Seville : fuel lines availability ?

Started by Philippe M. Ruel, March 22, 2015, 05:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe M. Ruel

Hi :)

A friend of mine owns a 2001 Seville. The fuel lines are badly rusted at a place (see pic) and he wonders how he can repair or replace them.

I guess the fuel pump is a high pressure device inside the tank,. So cutting the rotten parts of the tubes and replacing them with rubber hoses held by band clamps doesn't sound such a good idea.

Are brand new lines available at dealerships in the US ? Or at some other places ? Do they sell them in two/three pieces ? Original ones are single tubes from tank to engine, shipping them to Europe would involve HUGE shipping cost for such non-standard dimensions.

Do you know whether fittings are standard ones, or another of these post-1990s one-brand, specific-tooling devices ?
1952 60 Special in France.

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Philippe,

Rusted tubing can be replaced, and not necessary to replace the whole line, if you cannot get the replacement.

Not sure if they are available in your area, but I have used double-flared joints as in the below picture.

The top fitting is for 3/16" Bundy tubing, and the lower one for low pressure fuel line using rosettes.

A good machinist could make you up some to fit the tubing, using the Double Flaring.   You would need at least two for each repair if it was not possible to replace either end.

All you would need to do is cut the tube back to an area where you could perform the double flare, and even a single flare would most probably suffice, as there isn't the pressure that there is with brakes.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Scot Minesinger

Agree,

steel tubing on other makes in your area also rusts or suffers damage and there are mechanics at almost every decent shop that can bend up custom sections of tubing to make the section that has failed.  Double flare connections can be installed to connect repaired section to original good section.  These tubing sizes may be SAE (i.e. 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, or 3/8 inch), and most everything in Europe is metric.  You can buy tubing roles and double flare fittings without costly shipping fees, or they may have the material in Europe.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dave Shepherd

:I have used Napa special high pressure fuel line and spliced rusted sections using their special stainless clamps, works fine..

TJ Hopland

Parts stores also have repair kits that have a section of hard line and fittings to splice in.   I have not specifically looked for one that just goes in line but I have used them that have some sort of fitting on one end like for going into a fuel filter.   

Is that back by the tank?  So there is a bend and hose just past the rust? 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Philippe M. Ruel

Thanks everyone for these replies. I forwarded them to my friend, who decided to joint this forum he hadn't heard of before :) .
1952 60 Special in France.