News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

My hat is off to this Cadillac Guy

Started by Joe V, March 30, 2015, 09:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe V

If this gentleman is on the forum, my hat is off and I'm saluting.  My guess is that his Cadillac runs like a swiss watch.

https://youtu.be/WhMbaMf-L58

James Landi

Joe,   thank you for sharing this piece of engineering brilliance and remarkable creativity.  I am thoroughly impressed...gratefully, James

Dr. John T. Welch

There is no substitute for dedicated tooling.
John T. Welch
CLC   24277

Bobby B

Joe,
  I also Thank You for sharing this. Slight bit of Engineering Genius created by Thinkers of an era gone by. Yes…..nothing else to do back then but use your brain to come up with simple but useful ideas before computers and cellphones changed our lives. I'd love to sit down over a cup of coffee and listen to his stories. Seems like a real gentlemen. America was built by people like this. Really Great find…
                                                                                                Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

chrisntam

Couple of things.  First, he's retired and has time to do that.  And it is impressive!  Second, does he keep it in the trunk in case he has a flat?   

Wouldn't a couple of strikes in the center of that cap from a dead blow hammer do the same thing?

Calm down, just kidding!
;D
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Steve Passmore

Thats fantastic but a classic case of too much time on his hands. Hope I never reach that stage ;D
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Smedly

that works much smoother than sitting on the floor with one foot against on side of the cap and stomping the other side with my other foot.
When a Doctor "saves a Life" it does not necessarily mean that that life will ever be the same as it was, but he still saved it. My 46 may not be as it was but it is still alive.
Sheldon Hay

Jay Friedman

Putting on a "Sombrero" wheel cover can be difficult for a senior citizen, since you have to line it up exactly without being able to actually see the prongs on the wheel as you do it and hit it hard in just the right spot.  Believe me I know, as I have a '49 with sombreros and I'll never see 70 again.  I bought one of Mr. Fackler's "Sombrero Snappers" and it makes the job a lot easier.  He's a mechanical engineer and that's what they do: design machines and devices to do just that.  And it's guys like him who designed and built our Cadillacs.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

gary griffin

C. Jessen,

I would imagine he leaves it home and if he has a flat he changes the tire and brings the hubcap home in the trunk and installs it in the comfort of his garage. It may be difficult to align it on rough terrain alongside the road.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

James Landi

How many Cadillacs have you purchased where some "tire changer" has beaten an expensive wheel cover into submission, and then returned your car with unrepairable dents on the rims of the cover(s).  Then there are the stories of 80's locking style wheel covers....has he created a marketable item?

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

If someone could only make a handy-dandy jig that changed Northstar head gaskets that easily.

Can you imagine??? :o
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

35-709

When I take the '35 or '73 to the tire shop for alignment or tire work, I take the caps/wheel covers off first and leave them home.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jay Friedman

I also leave my sombreros home when taking my '49 to a shop if the wheels must come off.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Glen

Quote from: 35-709 on March 31, 2015, 07:17:37 PM
When I take the '35 or '73 to the tire shop for alignment or tire work, I take the caps/wheel covers off first and leave them home.

I leave the whole car at home and take only the tires/wheels in since they dented the fender getting the car off the alignment rack. 

Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

59-in-pieces

Joe,
Thanks for the link.
Necessity is the mother of invention.
And, sour grapes are the fruit of nit-picking.
Bless those with a drive to keep on, and their ingenuity to make things and life better.
Time marches on; and, lucky are those who have a AAA card.
Yes, I was wrapped around the axle, until I read past the gap - to just kidding.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

DennisK

Awesome video and piece of engineering! It beats lining it up and hitting it in the right spot.
When all is said and done, more is said then done.

jaxops

Quote from: Glen on April 01, 2015, 01:16:29 AM
I leave the whole car at home and take only the tires/wheels in since they dented the fender getting the car off the alignment rack.
...as well as the fender skirts!  No one seems to know how to safely remove them!

That fellow was great.  What an ingenious device!  Bravo Zulu!!!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

J. Skelly

To remove fender skirts on my '71 Eldorado without the risk of scratching the paint with the locking mechanism, I put a piece of clear vinyl tubing over the tip of the locking mechanism.  It allowed me to properly position the skirts without the worry.  The tubing will last for years.
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)