News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

anyone know what this part is called?

Started by johnnymoon, May 20, 2015, 10:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnymoon

anyone know what this part is called and where I could get a new one? Its from a 68 Deville

Thanks!
J Mooney

Jon S

It's a ported vacuum delay valve - used for emissions. 
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

35-709

Depending on who is describing it, it may be called a Thermal Vacuum Switch (GM's description in the '73 shop manual), or a Ported Vacuum Switch (Rock Auto's terminology).  Should be able to get one at NAPA, Carquest, maybe even Advance Auto Parts, or any good independent auto supply store.  Rock Auto lists them for about $41.00 but the one they picture has 4 ports whereas yours has 3, but that may just be a generic picture.  I have removed them on both of my 472s and plugged the hole with a brass plug.

Sounds like you could use a '68 Cadillac shop manual for your car.  Readily available on eBay and an absolute must-have in my opinion.  Here is one I would jump on if I had a '68 Cadillac ---
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Cadillac-Shop-Manual-Fleetwood-Calais-De-Ville-Eldorado-Original-/261884464538?hash=item3cf987cd9a&vxp=mtr
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

DeVille68

Since this photo is taken near the ignition system I suppose it is the thermo vacuum switch.
There should be a threaded hole behind the distributor on the engine block where the switch is screwed in. It switches the vacuum used for advancing the timing from carburetor vacuum to manifold vacuum if the engine temperature is above 230° Fahrenheit.

USA Parts supply sells the correct switch with three connections.

I just bought one a week ago and also tested it. Switches ports right at 230°.
I added a picture showing its location on the engine. And added a page from the manual describing the functionality.

According to the parts catalog a vacuum hose of size 6/32 should fit right. (probably also 5/32)

Hope this helps
Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)

Glen

Johnny, the one you have is broken, the rest of it is probably still in the front of the head. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I believe the technical term in Ex-pen-sive.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

johnnymoon

Thanks to everyone for the advice!!! This is a huge help!
J Mooney

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Johnny,
I found the one that came off my 72 Eldo. If you are interested in an excellent used one pm me.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

here is the switch.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

johnnymoon

Quote from: Jon S on May 20, 2015, 10:56:33 AM
It's a ported vacuum delay valve - used for emissions. 
Quote from: 35-709 on May 20, 2015, 01:56:20 PM
Depending on who is describing it, it may be called a Thermal Vacuum Switch (GM's description in the '73 shop manual), or a Ported Vacuum Switch (Rock Auto's terminology).  Should be able to get one at NAPA, Carquest, maybe even Advance Auto Parts, or any good independent auto supply store.  Rock Auto lists them for about $41.00 but the one they picture has 4 ports whereas yours has 3, but that may just be a generic picture.  I have removed them on both of my 472s and plugged the hole with a brass plug.
Sounds like you could use a '68 Cadillac shop manual for your car.  Readily available on eBay and an absolute must-have in my opinion.  Here is one I would jump on if I had a '68 Cadillac ---
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Cadillac-Shop-Manual-Fleetwood-Calais-De-Ville-Eldorado-Original-/261884464538?hash=item3cf987cd9a&vxp=mtr

What's the advantage to removing the switch?? I might just do that, it would be cheaper... any advice on removing the switch and plugging? Thanks!
J Mooney

35-709

Sorry I brought that up. 
I would suggest you keep the system stock, as the factory designed it.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

DeVille68

Quote from: johnnymoon on May 26, 2015, 12:07:56 PM
What's the advantage to removing the switch?? I might just do that, it would be cheaper... any advice on removing the switch and plugging? Thanks!

The previous owner of my car "removed" the switch. Cars runs perfect. You can just run the vacuum hose from the carburator vacuum port directly to the distributor vacuum diaphragm.

You could read about how the switch functions in the pdf page I attached to my posting above. In short: you can disable the switch if you never experienced high heat or high engine temperature where more spark advance would be welcome to help cool the engine.

I would keep the system original though. It's about 50 dollars and you have an original system.
It is only original once!  ;)

Best regards,
Nicolas
1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible (silver pine green)