News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1969 Cadillac A/C problem

Started by Ronn, June 12, 2015, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronn

Hello All!

I purchased a 1969 Coupe De Ville last fall and really like the car.
My problem, the previous owner installed an Edelbrock intake, Edelbrock carb and a factory HEI on the car.
Of course the factory a/c was removed and will not work with the intake manifold.  I have since purchased an Vintage Air a/c mounting bracket made for this setup and an aftermarket Sanden type compressor.
I can't come up with the correct belt to use or radiator hose.  Do I need a different hose mount?  I am concerned with hood clearance and routing of the radiator hose.  I don't want to start the project until I can find some answers.

If anyone has had experience with this setup, I could really use some help.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ronn
1979 Coupe DeVille

Scot Minesinger

Send us some under hood and compressor with bracket pictures so we can see what you have.  This is a spatial relations puzzle. 

It might be easier to go back to the factory intake and carb.  That is one reason not too many members go this way of special intake manifold and all, they want the a/c.  After all this 5,000lb car will never be a racer.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Scott,
We have one on a different forum that just ran over 200 MPH.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

200 mph??   Bet they are vlad they have disc brakes!!!
I agree with Scot ( and it isn't because he gave me a compliment on another thread). This is probably a good time to decide what you want the car to be. If you go with aftermarket stuff, you may be chasing this same type of problem forever. Maybe stock is the way to go. Your call of course, but just pointing it out. Best to decide now before you spend more money.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Ronn,
All other issues aside, I believe you asked this question before.  Either on this or another forum.  If it was not you then the situation was exactly the same.  The result of that discussion was that the Vintage air bracket was not in fact correct for a Cadillac.  MTS offers a bracket for Cadillac using a Sanden compressor, and an alternative would be to use the stock set up for a 81 368 motor which uses an R-4 Compressor. You use the standard 81 belt and you can use the 69 top radiator hose.  I have attached a photo showing what this would look like.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille

Scot Minesinger

A 200 mph Cadillac with a 472 and standard frame/chassis plus a/c, well that is the ultimate!  Sorry cannot help much further, as I am not experienced with this much performance in a 69 or 70 Cadillac.

Note the hoses are missing in the picture and there is another thing to deal with, as hose connections on different compressor will likely not be same as A6.  You will need custom hoses too.

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Standard hoses Scott, They just haven't been installed yet. I think he turned the AC off for the run.
This is the 69 I mentioned http://www.cadillacpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7625&start=980
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
CLC #15364
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille