News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

76 eldorado 500 CID injected - california car - need ecu with #1608340

Started by 240cpa, September 24, 2015, 04:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

240cpa

I know this has been asked before but can someone point me to a source for a reman ECU or an honest rebuilder? 

Thank you.

Dan LeBlanc

Look up Bruce Roe on this forum. By far, hands down he's the best guy to tackle this.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

bcroe

Quote from: 240cpaI know this has been asked before but can someone point me to a
source for a reman ECU or an honest rebuilder? 

Someone said GM still lists them, around $400, but I don't know if they are actually in stock.  If
you send me an email, I can send you a list of ECUs that will work for you.  bcroe@juno.com 
And some other stuff.  Although you have a CA car, a 1608339 49 state ECU would work just fine. 
In any case yours can be repaired for a lot less than the above here.  Read about 70s Cad EFI
on my PHOTOBUCKET, first album. 
     http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/L71/bcroe/

click on an Album
  click on a picture to enlarge + description

BRUCE ROE                                  bcroe@juno.com
5719 EAST SKINNER ROAD,
STILLMAN VLY, IL    61084-9215

Phone  815 234-8039

bill06447

This number is available through Standard Motor Products but according to their website is on a 4-8 week back order.

Bill

bcroe

Quote from: bill06447 on September 26, 2015, 10:15:18 PM
This number is available through Standard Motor Products but according to their website is on a 4-8 week back order.
Bill   

Somebody should order it and see if anything happens in 8 weeks.  Being out of production for
nearly 4 decades, I would expect shipment either from stock, or never.  Bruce Roe

TJ Hopland

If they were readily available and worked well I don't think Bruce would be so busy.    Even with how many Bruce apparently deals with in a year I can't see a big company bothering to deal with these things. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bill06447

I'm just passing along information from Rock Auto, I'm neither endorsing or trashing any one's product. there are five oe numbers in stock ACDelco reman $364 with exchange unfortunately his California one isn't on the list so it looks like your best bet is to send it off to someone to get it rebuilt.  They aren't complicated; if it were mine I'd open it up, spend some time with a multimeter and fix whatever went bad in it myself. That's pretty much what you get with a rebuilt anyway. The external fuel pump relay modification looks to me to be a must-do regardless of what you decide.

Bill

bcroe

Quote from: bill06447I'm just passing along information from Rock Auto, I'm neither endorsing or trashing any one's product. there are five oe numbers in stock ACDelco reman $364 with exchange unfortunately his California one isn't on the list so it looks like your best bet is to send it off to someone to get it rebuilt.  They aren't complicated; if it were mine I'd open it up, spend some time with a multimeter and fix whatever went bad in it myself. That's pretty much what you get with a rebuilt anyway.  Bill 

As I said there are a few different number ECUs that will interchange, essentially any 76 for the
500 engine.  I would say they aren't hard to fix IF you have a drawing of what the circuit is and a
good understanding of analog computing circuits and an engine simulator to control or read out
every pin to simulate operation.  A multimeter won't do it; you had better have a good storage
oscilloscope.  Without those you are looking at a circuit with no part identification numbers and 5
totally custom ICs not documented anywhere, along with some high failure parts no longer available. 

Fortunately the circuit is available now; 76 ECU is the second album on my PHOTOBUCKET above. 
The engine simulator is pretty simple, only 3 pulse generators and a couple pots.  The custom ICs
are still mysterious, the General made all but one go away for 77.  Replacing a MAP with a 9.5V
supply and 7.3V output can be managed.  Bruce Roe