News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Mecum, Dallas: Only "known" Argyle Blue 1959 Eldorado Biarritz?

Started by Jon Riley #13576, October 01, 2016, 11:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon Riley #13576

https://www.mecum.com/lots/DA1116-256443/1959-cadillac-eldorado-biarritz-convertible/

Can that be true? 

They are also claiming it is one of 99 with buckets which has been disproved.   Many more than 99 had buckets.

Steve Passmore

I own a car that passed through Mecum auctions in Dallas in 2013 and in this country they would have been sued for misrepresentation.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Scot Minesinger

The pictures are nice.  That does not look like a wow shade of blue, so would not be surprising if it were rare.  Noticed the belt is off the a/c compressor and the exhaust pipes are not installed correctly.  Might be a good idea to really get info on this car besides pictures before you bid to be sure it is good to go.  I'm sure others will have further insights before you bid.

The best opportunities for classic cars to me come from the owners that have enjoyed them and thoroughly maintained them.  From what I see on TV, read and e-bay to me it appears that you should be very careful if buying form a company that sells used classic cars.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

76eldo

If you look closer there's probably a lot more incorrect.
AC lines run incorrectly, cooling tubing for the generator missing, and more.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Scot Minesinger

The auctions have got to be popular with sellers of unauthentic but presentable classics because little investigation prior to purchase is possible.  I notice that the buyers often are either shrewd resellers who spot a bargain, people with money who like cars but are not into the authenticity, or otherwise.  Doubt I could participate as a buyer, but you never know.  Classic car auctions seem to be on the rise so they must be doing something right.

You never know what the buyer is going to do with the car, drive and enjoy it, trailer and show only, keep in a private collection never to be driven or etc.  For many an unsorted Eldorado like this might be perfect.  No point in me owning a car if it cannot be driven and enjoyed.

Steve Passmore

[quote
  No point in me owning a car if it cannot be driven and enjoyed.
[/quote]

Second that!
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

There is so much wrong with that car I would not know where to start.

I know of at least one other Argyle Blue '59 EBZ so the claim of 1 extant is nonsense, and who knows whether the paint color is even matches the DP.  The interior is sure doesn't. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

D.Smith

It looks nice to me.   But I'm not an expert on 59s.   

Jon Riley #13576

I have always liked this add, and wanted an Eldo of this color, which I think is Argyle Blue.  Though, I would prefer blue on blue as in the add. 

Whole slew of Argyle Blue '59 EBZ (some may be of the same car admittedly) in Google images.

Tagline should have read, "the only one with an [incorrect] white dash pad..."   ::)

Quentin Hall

I have had the displeasure of driving a 59 conv with an incorrect white dash pad and can only liken the experience to being snow blinded. The vast expanse of horizontal reflects directly onto the windshield. Horrendous reflections. No 59s ever had white dash pads.
I remember a triple blue bucket seat Biarritz in Dallas. I got Dave Holls to sign a copy of that "new car of your dreams" brochure.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

chrisntam

Quote from: Jon Riley #13576 on October 02, 2016, 04:37:10 PM
I have always liked this ad, and wanted an Eldo of this color, which I think is Argyle Blue.  Though, I would prefer blue on blue as in the ad.

That gal's hair ain't gonna look like that for long once he gets rollin'.

;)
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Scot Minesinger

Chris,

When my wife and go out on a special occasion where we would dress maybe close to like that, you pull over just before arriving when the speed limit is 25mph and put the top down.  Then you finish the drive arriving, and then departing like in the picture.  When I'm alone top is down the entire drive.

chrisntam

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

White dash pads were never factory offered and dealers were specifically instructed to deter customers from special ordering it using almost any means possible - the factory went so far as to offer suggestions on how to best dissuade the most insistent customer.

The angle of the windshield and the high gloss of the material used on the 1959 Cadillac dash pad can be a blinding experience under the right lighting conditions as it is in any of the standard colors; I would not want to begin to imagine a white dash under the same lighting conditions.

Rmperry

So, in other words, it is possible that a car was ordered with a factory white dash. With that in mind, it is possible for a white dash to be correct. Good to know.
Richard Perry

In theory, yes - but it wouldn't look like the dash in that car. 

To appear authentic, the color would have been off-white (similar to ivory) and the grain should be the type used in a '59 dash pad.

The dash pad in the car looks like an overlay which never fit right. In any case it's sticking out further than it should. Also the color is not the right white at all- it's generic bright white. Sorry to say but that dash would never pass for factory issue to someone who knows what they're looking at.

Just Dashes in CA restores '59 Cadillac dash pads so well they would just about pass for factory. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

http://www.justdashes.com/about-us/

BTW: Here's an example of a Special Order interior in a '59 EBZ in White leather with Green trim (instead of the grey trim that came with the white leather in a 6467) with white lower dash.

This is how I would have done the car (upper pad blue, lower white) were I looking to slightly personalize an interior of an Argyle Blue '59 EBZ. Definitely an improvement over the stock gray trim that came with the standard #10 code interior combination, IMO.

Rmperry

Mr. DeVirgilis, I will cut you a little bit of slack here because different shades of color can look different due to lighting and other factors in a picture. The picture will not always represent the color as it looks in person.

As a matter of fact, this dashboard was done by Just Dashes, it is the proper factory grain and it is more of an ivory color when you see it in person. It is not an overlay, it is installed correctly and so it's everything you just said it should be to have come from the factory. It is NOT a bright white.

So, you admitted that it is possible to have ordered a white dash and the dash in the car matches the description of what you gave in your explanation. I'd say that is point, set and match on the discussion as to whether or not there is truly an issue with getting this dash from the factory.

You have proven me to be correct about this and I thank you for providing the evidence to show that this dash can in fact be correct for the car. Have a wonderful day. Of course all of this assumes that you are correct in what you have been saying. I for one, believe that you are familiar with how these could be ordered.
Richard Perry

Rmperry

As a side note regarding the white dash, I googled "1959 Cadillac interior" and found 2 "59 Caddies with white dashes and 1 "60 with a white dash. A least that proves there are a few 1959 Cadillacs out there with a white dash.
Richard Perry