News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1942 Convertible

Started by Fairchild, February 28, 2017, 07:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairchild

Hi, I am from Bolivia and I own a 1942 Cadillac Convertible Coupe.
I will appreciate your help with information about this car and with the providing of some parts and accesories.
N.Q.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Sir,
To do this car correctly, you need PLENTY of time patience & MONEY!! I suggest:
Join the CLC. Get in touch with other 42 owners.  Get the following books.
#1 owners manual
#2 shop manual
#3 Fisher body manual
#4 Master chassis list
#5 Master body list.
#6 serviceman bulletins.
Post a pic of the data plate.
Is the car a stick or automatic?
Make SURE you have the correct VIN # from the frame & motor. They should match.
Most of the parts on that car are 62 series ONLY.
This should get you started.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Fairchild

Dear Bob, thanks for your answer.
Since I don't know where the Vin number frame is located, I will appreciate if you send me an example photo to start looking for.
Regards.
NQ
N.Q.

Dear Nelson,
I think you got a very good info above. Start with number #2. Buy a Shop Manual for the year.

Good luck

Steve Passmore

Chassis number is on the top, right hand side frame rail, just behind engine mount. Engine number is on a flat casting above the water pump in front of right hand block.
As Bob said, get ready for a long search for body parts if its not complete.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

TMoore - NTCLC

Hi Nelson -

You have a very rare car.  In addition to finding the engine number, and the frame number, you can also find the data tag - open the hood, and on the driver's side cowl, visible from standing on the driver's side of the car, near the hood hinge you will find the data tag.  That will provide the information such as body color, interior color, top color, Accessories,  etc - if you can provide the info from the data tag, we can get some additional information about the car.

As mentioned, you have a very large project ahead of you, but I have seen much rougher cars restored as long as you have the patience.

'42 are extremely beautiful cars. What is that convertible next to it (in the third picture)?
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

gary griffin

Hi Nelson,   I am sorry but I have had no luck with finding the fog lamp parts you need.  You have the attention of two 1942 owners with years of experience in restoring 1942,s. Tod Moore and I are on the same path with very rare 1942  67 series cars under restoration.  There are many more who have the knowledge and experience also.

So few 42's were produced and so few survive.  Even small items like the chrome spear on the rear fenders are one year only due to the differences in rear bumpers. The fog lamp assembly's were one year only and since they are subjected to the hazards of the road.   I am not fully recovered from surgery having had both knees replaced last fall, and am not ready to spend hours in the shop prowling through   my stock of spare parts. I had a parts car but it was form the rust belt and I doubt I was able to save the fog lamp assemblies. I did remove everything I could think of prior to sending it to the next owner. 

My suggestion is to first analyze all of your parts needs and make a full list of all you can think of.  Club members will be able to tell you which parts are 1942 only and which are more common.  A parts car would be great also, and maybe there is one still hidden in someones barn??

Beware that the parts being rare will also be costly and many will need restoration.  I personally try to give parts to other 1942 owners or just my shipping and original costs but dealers charge  prices based on rarity. Fog lamp lens are for sale for $200 each for example and that is one small item.   Listing the parts you need and assigning approximate costs  will give you some idea of total costs to expect.    Possibly you could find a 3-d printer and some  of us could have our parts reproduced for you?? 

Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver