News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

What is a Biarritz?

Started by Tpicks55, May 11, 2017, 05:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Richard Sills - CLC #936 on May 15, 2017, 01:17:23 PM
As Jason noted, there is a lot of confusion over the proper series designation of the non-Eldorado convertible, which was a "Series 62" in 1963 and earlier years, and a "deVille" from 1964 through 1970.  I have a theory as to why the series name of the convertible was changed in 1964. 

In 1964, Cadillac introduced Turbo-Hydramatic transmission for the deVille, the Fleetwood Sixty Special, and the Fleetwood Eldorado.  The Series 62 and the Series 75 continued to use the older version of the Hydramatic transmission, with the "P-N-D-L-R" transmission quadrant.  It would not have been appropriate for the convertible to use the older transmission, while the Coupe deVille and Sedan deVille got the new Turbo-Hydramatic.  Hence, the convertible had to be brought into the deVille series.  (This is just a guess on my part, but it makes sense.)

During all the years when Cadillac offered both a deVille and a Series 62 or Calais, I am not aware of any other instance when the two series used different mechanical components.

I think the introduction of Climate Control had more to do with moving the convertible to the DeVille line. That and adding the Calais name to the Series 62.

As far as the transmissions go, they were probably using up stocks of the older version. Similar to the holdover of the Series 75 in 1965 which kept the old chassis and upper body style of earlier models.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Jason Edge

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on July 23, 2019, 06:50:46 PM
I think the introduction of Climate Control had more to do with moving the convertible to the DeVille line. That and adding the Calais name to the Series 62.

As far as the transmissions go, they were probably using up stocks of the older version. Similar to the holdover of the Series 75 in 1965 which kept the old chassis and upper body style of earlier models.

In 1964 Comfort Control (i.e. AC) was an option for all body styles, however you would find them on a larger % of cars as you went from Series 62 to deVille to Fleetwood body series so I see no connection with the Comfort Control as a deciding or even influencing factor in moving the 6267 into the de Ville body series in 1964. The fact that the 1963 6267 already had the "deVille" interior trim, indicates they had already made steps to move the 6267 into the deVille series.

As far as transmissions in 1964, there were 39,143 cars produced with the older Hydra-Matic transmission, out of a total production of 165,959 for the year. These included all Series 62, 75 Series and Commercial Chassis body styles.  Cadillac produced roughly 160K cars for 1962 model year and 163K cars for 1963 model year and I doubt they had almost 40,000 transmissions sitting around and someone said lets put them in the Series 62/75/CC cars.

The big factor in what transmissions were used in 1964, or introduced in this case, was the fact Buick was introducing the new Super Turbine 400 transmission (the 1st in the Turbo 400 transmission family), and Cadillac was not going to let Buick get a leg up!  So...  the 1964 Turbo Hydra-Matic used in the de Villes and Fleetwoods was a Buick borrowed transmission, which was adapted to mount to the back of the Cadillac transmission via an adapter ring.  Cadillacs would get it's own "Turbo 400" for the 1965 model year that would bolt right up to the back of the 429 engine ... and some upgrades to go along with it. This and more details can be found on the 1963/64 Cadillac Website engines and transmissions help age at www.engines.6364cadillac.com
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

cadillacmike68

Quote from: 30326 on May 11, 2017, 06:16:36 PM
Well Eric. This below is a copy straight from my original 1964 Shop Manual.

In 1966 Shop Manual its written Fleetwood Eldorado Convertible, style 68467 starting with VIN E610001.

I don't know where that came from but in addition to what eric states, the non-ElDorado convertible in 1964 was moved to the DeVille series, no more series 62 convertible.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

D.Smith

With the demise of the hardtop Eldorado after 1960, it was no longer necessary to have the Biarritz vs Seville distinction.

The 63 Eldorados with their smooth sides, lower side trim and wreath and crest rear quarter ornamentation really made them look like Fleetwoods.   So it was no surprise to me that the Biarritz name was quietly dropped and the cars renamed "Fleetwood Eldorados"

Don't pull your hair out over series number identification.  That was more of a chassis identifier not a sales identifier.   

jdemerson

Quote from: Jason Edge on May 12, 2017, 08:46:17 AM
The 1964 Eldorado information is off the main topic, but I hate seeing this misinformation continued to be propagated and will make one more stab at this. Here is some of the key documentation you need to be looking at, in addition to the reputable reference material such as Roy A. Schneider's Cadillacs of the Sixties (see page 100, there is a full page on the 1964 Fleetwood Eldorado).

Sales Brochures: The 1963 regular and prestige brochures refers to and illustrates the 1963 Eldorado as the Eldorado Biarritz. The 1964 regular and prestige brochures refers to and illustrates the 1964 Eldorado as a Fleetwood Eldorado, and goes on to explain that it is part of the Fleetwood body series.

Owners Manuals: The 1963 Owners manual refers to the to the 1963 Eldorado as the Eldorado Biarritz (page 47). The 1964 Owners manual refers to the 1964 Eldorado as simply the Eldorado (page 46), with the word Biarritz dropped.

Specification Manual: The 1963 Specifications Manual refers to the to the 1963 Eldorado as the Eldorado Biarritz (pages 3 and 120, 121a, 121). The 1964 Specifications Manual refers to the 1964 Eldorado as the Fleetwood Eldorado (page 1, 57, 57a, 58).

Dealer Data Books: As previously mentioned the 1963 Dealer Data book refers to the Eldorado Biarriz (page 26, 44, 44a, 45, 94, 95 and elsewhere), and the 1964 Dealer Data Book refers to the Fleetwood Eldorado Convertible (page 26, 27, 42, 42a, 43, 90, 91 and elsewhere)

The brochures and owners manuals were not introduced mid production year. Cars were delivered with owners manuals, dealerships would have received their dealer data books, brochures at the beginning of the model year, not mid-year; there was no mistake in dropping the name Biarritz in all of the 1964 literature; and there was no mistake in brochures and Dealer Data Books indicating that the Eldorado was moved to the Fleetwood body series.

I could go on and on, but you have to do your homework instead of relying on what Wikipedia says (I believe they are the source that says the new Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission was a mid year change for the 1964 Cadillacs..... WRONG!!), or "other references".

So as you move from the 1963 to 1964 model year, and everyone is familiar with saying the Eldorado Biarritz ... kinda rolls off the tongue doesn't it... people without knowing the details advertise it, copy literature over from the prior year by mistake (e.g. the one instance in the 1964 shop manual), but the fact is Day 1, when the very first 1964 Eldorado rolled off the assembly line, it was a Fleetwood Eldorado, not an Eldorado Biarritz.

I just reviewed the very interesting postings in this long thread that extends over a couple of years.The confusion, especially about the 1964 Convertible models, is fascinating. Thanks to Jason, Eric, and others for sorting it out, and I'm sure they do have it right.

Still, the confusion would seem to originate with Cadillac Division itself -- both the 1964 Shop Manual AND the 1964 Cadillac Data Book referred (incorrectly) to a Biarritz convertible. From 1964 Data Book, page 367:

Body Style                            Code                       Style No.

Eldorado Biarritz Convertible      E                          6367

Fascinating that Cadillac had it wrong, in at least one place, in each of two prominent publications -- Shop Manual and Data Book.  As Jason noted, other places had it right.  And here we are, 45 years later...

John Emerson
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn