News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

57 Cadillac vacuum diagram

Started by gary griffin, February 05, 2018, 04:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary griffin

I posted earlier about a gizmo in my car and found out from those of you on the forum that it was a vacuum powered upper cylinder lubricator.  You folks are always a great resource!!

Below is the picture of the Gizmo I received information on from this forum. Thanks everyone!

I am looking for a vacuum diagram as to what my now compromised vacuum system should be?  Manual is not clear about the system, just various components ??

Car is in remote shop awaiting upholstery work so I  can not investigate properly.  57 is a one year brake system and I have newly rebuilt booster but it is not working and tough to drive the car now.  I was amazed to find no vacuum reservoir so added one but not sure if it is helping or hurting me or just insignificant as it probably is, having since learned that 57 did not have one!

Even a hand sketched diagram would help. I am not knowledgeable about this generation of Cadillacs. Could there be other vacuum accessories than just brakes and spark advance?? If not I have  a leak somewhere or  my rebuilt master cylinder is faulty??
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Gary,

There’s no central vacuum canister on a ’57. The wipers and window washer are driven by vacuum from the oil pump and is attached to a manifold on the passenger side of the firewall. The power brakes draw vacuum from a dedicated port on the intake manifold. The line has an in line one way valve that should be checked for directional orientation â€" air flows toward the manifold. The vacuum line connects to the bottom front of the brake booster on the firewall.

HTH
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

fishnjim

I have this one for a '58 someone sent from this forum that doesn't show the reservoir.   The location is a bit different on the car but the schematic is similar.   Most of this is in the '57 service manual but you have to look for it by system.
There's vacuum distributor for the WW pump, wipers, and maybe throttle dampener, if equipped, from the vacuum pump.   
There's two sources, the vacuum pump driven off the oil pump has a 1/4" tube coming from the engine block with check valve at base for the accessories and the manifold vacuum, which is located different for different carb setups.   The vacuum advance is usually separate from a small 1/16" metal tube off a carb base.   
Big manifold hose should go as mentioned to booster w/ check valve.   

gary griffin

Thanks for the help and diagram.  I have been told that the 57 does not have vacuum reservoir master cylinder is a one year item. I do not know about the 58? This diagram is for Tri Power so I am assuming some differences in plumbing on a single 4 barrel carb?
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Roger Zimmermann

Basically it's the same. Just remove that tri-power plumbing and you have your diagram...
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

David King (kz78hy)

Vic Brincat created the diagram and it came from the Eldorado Brougham site.

David
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: David King  (kz78hy) on February 14, 2018, 07:56:49 PM
Vic Brincat created the diagram and it came from the Eldorado Brougham site.

David
This is the explanation of the Auto start on that diagram!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101