News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Air Intake Cleaning and Crossover

Started by jaxops, August 22, 2018, 06:59:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaxops

My intake area was getting over-hot compared to the radiator which was running at 185-190F.  We removed the air intake and with the crossovers, found a lot of exhaust debris in the air intake.  No wonder the engine was getting hot (>250 degrees). After a good cleaning, we blocked the crossovers with exhaust gasket material and put new air intake gaskets in.  The result was dramatic.  The engine runs about 150 degrees when warmed up and the cooling is about 185 degrees, both within specs. 

I guess you are never really done restoring and repairing.  I was so glad to have resolved this issue as it was getting progressively worse as the soot, etc. built up in the intake.
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Scot Minesinger

Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

J. Gomez

8)

The ’56 intake x-over (possible other years with same intake layout) for the exhaust is a big problem IMO which creates a multiple points for failures related to heat issues.   :(

You have the carburetor, the ignition coil seating next to it and the fuel pump/filter just above all within a close or above the proximity of the heat from the x-over.

Blocking the passages at both end do help in keeping the intake at a relative low temp, and it also help keeping the above item from exposure and possible failures.

I’m also planning on placing a metal plate at the head(s) ports and make my own intake gasket with these ports covered as well.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

jaxops

Sorry- it was the 1956.  I had a lot of advice from this and other forums to block the channels.  I am amazed it hadn't occurred to me before.  I was so wrapped up in the heat riser (which was already removed when the new exhaust was installed).  We're installing a fan shroud now as well to focus the airflow coming through the radiator.
1979 Lincoln Continental

cadman59

If I'm correct, blocking the cross-over will leave the thermostatic choke inoperative. How did you solve that?
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

J. Gomez

Quote from: cadman59 on August 22, 2018, 03:56:20 PM
If I'm correct, blocking the cross-over will leave the thermostatic choke inoperative. How did you solve that?

The 1956-1958 the heat pickup tube for the thermostatic choke was place at the RH exhaust manifold, I believe later years it got moved to the intake manifold at the x-over side.
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

cadman59

Ah, didn't know that. At my '59 the heat pickup tube is in the cross-over indeed. Have thought about blocking also, but want to keep the thermostatic choke stock; that's why I asked.
Feiko Kuiper - Netherlands (Europe)

1959 Cadillac Series SixtyTwo 6-Window Sedan
https://instagram.com/feikokuiper

Jay Friedman

On my '49 I blocked the intake manifold exhaust gas crossover with intake manifold gaskets purchased from Olson's without those holes.   I also removed the heat riser assembly and replaced it with a spacer. 
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

jaxops

Quote from: cadman59 on August 22, 2018, 05:21:05 PM
Ah, didn't know that. At my '59 the heat pickup tube is in the cross-over indeed. Have thought about blocking also, but want to keep the thermostatic choke stock; that's why I asked.
Wow- dodged a bullet on that one!  Thanks Mr. Gomez!
1979 Lincoln Continental