News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

37 LaSalle rear main leak

Started by CadDad, January 11, 2019, 02:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CadDad

Hello,
   I am currently fighting a pretty bad rear main leak on my 37 LaSalle engine. Had the engine rebuilt last summer and got it back in this fall. I have tried about everything to stop the leak. I've tried all the tricks mentioned on this forum. Vacuum passages all clear. Drilled extra hole in bearing, cut drain tube up to no avail. The crank was turned down many years ago on a rebuild, but had it built back up to original. Looks like there is a bit of a gap between the crank and rear main from what I can see with the oil pan dropped. Wondering if I should pull tranny back and bell housing and try to pack a rope seal in. Don't really know what else to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Paul
1955 Series 62 2dr. hardtop
1959 Buick LeSabre 2dr. with  Manual transmission
1949 International Harvester KB-1
1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
1941 Buick Century Sedanet
1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe
1937 LaSalle Opera Coupe
1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe

Joe G 12138

In addition to drilling a drain hole in the rear main bearing, I hope you also drilled a comparable or larger hole in the rear main bearing cap also. Very important, and holes must line up. Also, as long as you are thinking of pulling inspection covers or even bell housing or transmission, look closely before going too deep. Is your oil leakage on the engine side of the clutch or the transmission side? Both drip out of the same hole.  "37 transmissions need a special gasket different than the '38-'53 that everyone sells. And a sealed front bearing helps too, but the gasket is important. There's old threads on both issues. Is it engine oil for sure?      Joe Gibeault

CadDad

We drilled a larger hole in the rear main that the bearing hole feeds into. All line up fine. Almost positive it is oil dripping. We have followed several past posts to get our ideas on the repair. Particularly the 37 vs 38 322 rear main seal post. One recommendation is to pull the crank and re mill it for a seal, but we really don't want to pull the engine and tear it back down. I never ran the car before we pulled the engine and rebuilt it because of the antifreeze in the oil at the time. We just pulled it and rebuilt it. Sure would like to know what is so different now from when it was new. The engine builder has overhauled engines for years, but admits he never rebuilt a Cadillac LaSalle flat head. Just don't know what we might have missed.
1937 LaSalle Opera Coupe
1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe

jackworstell

Sounds like you have done everything the "Bill Harper"  article recommends.

Jack Worstell

PS  we also installed the lower half of a rope seal....even though a 1937 is not designed for this
….not easy to do because the slinger and the rope seal use the same space.....have to tighten
down the bearing cap a number of times to get the rope seal in.    We ended
up getting the rear bearing oil leak down to a drop every once in a while.

CadDad

Monday morning I am meeting with my mechanic to figure out what to try next. We are running out of ideas so anything you all have we will take into serious consideration. Thanks!
1937 LaSalle Opera Coupe
1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe

CadDad

Well I think we might be on to something. Our crank may have been altered a bit. The oil slinger that everyone says impedes installing a rope seal may have been cut down by the previous owner to maybe accept a rear main seal. I took a picture looking up at the bottom of the rear main and there is about 3/16" between the slinger diameter on the crank and the upper bearing groove. I will upload the picture this afternoon when someone more computer literate than I can do it. Is the slinger supposed to be almost the same diameter as the groove on the bearing?
1937 LaSalle Opera Coupe
1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe