News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Using Front Fender Chevrons For Turn Signals on '37 LaSalle

Started by carlhungness, May 27, 2019, 12:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

After studying the front end of my '37 Coupe it occurs to me the possibility exists that if I raise the three chevrons on each fender by a few thousands (with a washer under the studs) and build a custom box socked full of LED's that fit directly behind the chevrons, enough light would emit to use as a turn signal. There are three holes for each chevron, the center one being oval and the others oversize. There is enough room in between the chevrons to drill more holes, round or oval. Since I am making new chevrons out of highly polished stainless it is my thought I can polish the backside as well to assist in light reflection.
      Thus I cloned the interior shapes of the fender vertically and horizontally with my "wire contour" devices and built a box to suit. The box is .063" aluminum and it is lined with chrome tape. The back of the box is drilled to fit the center studs on each chevron. So I'll make the center studs longer, to pass through the back of the box thereby holding it in place. More than likely I'll have to oval the center holes so I
can get even spacing when I install the chevrons. I did take an accurate template of the holes using a clear plastic bag and a Sharpie, so the holes shouldn't need much ovaling to get the chevrons spaced properly.
        I built the boxes, lined them with chrome tape and installed waterproof LED's on edge, rather than flat. If I had put each row flat I would have had to solder each
leading to the next, and the wires are so thin I didn't want to risk the 90 degree bends. Plus, I think I have enough LED's and reflection to pop some light out from under the chevrons. As soon as I figure out how to counter bore the stainless chevrons so they'll accept a flat-head 8-32 screw I'll polish, bend and install them. I am having a hard time keeping the chevrons from chattering when I try to it them with a carbide end mill to "spot" the counter-bore. Here's a stock chevron next to my stainless copy. I have 24 of them so might be able to supply a few to others who need replacements.
         It'll be interesting to see how much light comes "through" the chevrons.
         In the photos you can see my template for the box, its back and then the LED's installed in the on and off position.

Mike Baillargeon #15848

wow Carl.....This looks and sounds good.....

Here I'm just worried that my stripes will fall off and I'll run them over.

That's going to be really cool looking.....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

John Barry [CLC17027]

This, I want to see: preferably as a video. To be sure, that constitutes a modification but it's a creative and very tasteful way to accomplish a safety objective. I for one say go to it and more power to you for this elegant solution.
John Barry (CLC 17027)
Now-retired editor/Publisher of the Valley Forge Region newsletter, The Goddess
1940 La Salle series 50 four door sedan

G Pennington

Good idea.  You might want to mockup the front of the fender out of scrap sheet metal,  paint it the same color as your LaSalle, mount everything, and power it up.  That way you can get an idea of what it'll look like in various lighting conditions.  I would be concerned about how well it would show up in direct sunlight.
Gary Pennington
   1953 6267X Convertible
   1941 6267D Convertible (2 door)

carlhungness

I am going to run some tests to see how the turn signals work and possibly spray the chevron area with Admiral Blue before final paint. I am going to drill holes in between the studs, and maybe oval them so the whole area will be swiss-cheesed to allow light to emit around the chevrons themselves. Polishing the back side of the  stainless chevrons should help reflect light.
    I am also toying with the idea of running a single LED strip along the vertical run of the grille on both sides to add to the plot. Thus I may have yellow light coming from the stripes and a long bar-light flashing from the far left-far right side of the  grille (lights installed behind the grille of course). Legally the grille lights are probably too close to one another, but breaking the law in this case will make for a safer vehicle, especially if you turn in front of a motorcycle. I want the bike rider to see me.
     I'm now working on a method to partially ring the rear windows with LED's installed inside. The LED strips are quite narrow and I may be able to snake them in
in such a fashion they can't be seen from the outside when turned off. Our stock tail-lights are painfully low and we're used to seeing RED brake lights above eye level on new vehicles.
     If the rear window treatment works, what color would you use, red, yellow or blue? Hiding them on the inside as well as outside presents the challenge, but I may be able to make another partial molding that goes over a section of the original, and even a trained eye may pass over it without ever seeing the modification. That's the theory anyway.
      I hid the turn signals on my Vincent Black Shadow so well that veteran riders say, "You don't have any turn signals." The Vincent has a single bar going across the bike, just in front of and under the gas tank, never seen another bike with a bar such as this. It was a Britax accessory. I milled a quarter inch slot in the bar, filled it with LED's and most all observers look at the forks for turn signals. Some look at the ends of the handlebars, but literally no one notices the slot in the crash bar until I flick the switch and they see the flashing light. I get a smile every time I'm told I don't have turn signals. I want to accomplish the same with the LaSalle.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Have you thought about milling a slot in the Chevrons, between the mounting lugs, and inserting the LEDs in this slot.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

carlhungness

That's a pretty good idea an I'll consider doing it. Mounting the LED's on the stainless is a consideration and I wonder if I could find some epoxy that might work.
I may have room for four LED's per chevron, or more if you don't use the center one which isn't totally necessary. I want to mount the ones I have first and test them. I can always plug the extra holes in the super thick fenders.
    The LED strips I have can only be cut in specific lengths, but at least the germ of the idea is bearing some fruit.
     Meanwhile I'm planning the air-conditioner in the trunk trick so I can keep the cockpit stock, except for the 5 speed gear shift stick that will be a dead give-a-way.

carlhungness

I was intrigued by the suggestion of milling a slot in the chevrons and installing the LED's there, but upon inspection it can't be done because the LED's are the same width and height as the chevrons, there just isn't enough meat to sink the LED's into the chevrons and as noted the width is the same. It was a good suggestion though.
      The LED's are on a strip and only an eighth of an inch thick so I don't think they make anything any smaller.

The Tassie Devil(le)

What about individual LED's.   Or Pea size incandescent lights?   I have seen those, and all that would be required is to drill small holes in the Chevron, and possibly the fender behind them for depth.

These are what I am referring to:
https://www.ledsales.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=148_150
and
https://www.ledsales.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=148_150_308&zenid=a9g3v8clackduht0ad8gnskv43

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

carlhungness

Looking at the small LED's you recommend, and my first thought is how to attach them to the chevrons if they are raised a few thou above the fenders. The LED's would flash (against the painted fender and polished back side of the chevron). That may work, but when I see the tiny wires coming from the LED's connected to the bulb I envision, not much. If I drilled half way, or more thru the back of the LED, tapered or
flat bottom hole I'm having a hard time imagining a mounting process for the lights themselves. How to physically attach them to the backside?
       Conversely, the LED's could be mounted in the fenders and their light would flash against the backside of the chevrons. That procedure might work too. Again, I'd have to make a holder for the LED's up against the fender.
   The chevrons are .120 thickness.
    My boxes are 1 1/2" deep and could be a half inch thinner to get the lights closer to the fenders.
     I should be able to run a test in a few days with a non painted fender just to see
how much light emits by raising some (stock, not polished chevrons). I have four good ones and they should give me an idea of how the idea will work.
    I don't have any finished stainless LED's yet, having trouble putting a flat bottom hole in them with my carbide end mill, it is chattering when I touch the stainless, so am working on what speed to run it. Plus, I'm using a drill press and a vise, I need a mill with a proper vise.