News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe (relist) SOLD

Started by Cadillac Jack 82, October 02, 2019, 09:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cadillac Jack 82

**I'm relisting this again due to a non-paying buyer**

For your consideration is my beautiful 1957 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe.  This Cadillac is body #638 out  of 26,000 Series 62 coupes that were made for 1957.  It was made October 26th of 1956 and sold to a gentleman out in Pomona California in the fall of 1956.  This gentleman and his family owned the car for the next 45 years or so.  Around 1999 the car was inherited by the daughter who then sold it to a collector in southern Idaho in the mid 2000s.  I bought the car from this collector roughly 5 years ago.  I have all of the paperwork for this car going back to at least 1959.  This car has won quite a few awards over the years which will be provided with the car when it is sold.  This car is 100% factory correct for its year/make/model. 

Options include power steering, power brakes, power windows, 6-way power seat, power antenna, wonderbar radio, heater, EZ Eye glass, gold grille, fog lights, Autronic Eye (headlight dimmer).  This is a fully loaded Series 62 less Air Conditioning.

The body on this car is amazing.  The paint is new within the last 6 years and its a quality paint job.  Color is the factory correct Orion Blue over Tahoe Blue.  The paint does not have any runs, streaks, or any other imperfections.  The body does not have any dents, dings, rust, or decay.  You can tell that this car came from a dry climate and I've personally kept this car in a garage since I've owned it.  The bright work is in very good condition along with the chrome.  The stainless/chrome is 63 years old however its still presentable in its current condition.  The front hood crest was replaced but the rear one is still original to the car.  The lenses are clean and clear without fading.  All the glass is original to the car and it displays the E-Z Eye logo in the corners of the glass.  The door and A pillar seals were replaced roughly 5 years ago when I bought the car.

The interior is mostly original however the front seats were redone with upholstery from SMS Fabrics in Oregon.  There are no rips, tears or anything that distracts from the appearance of the interior.  The headliner was redone by the previous owner and he also installed a dash cap over the padded dash.  All of the gauges work as they should.  The Wonderbar radio works however its hard to get an AM signal these days which is worth listening to.  The clock is currently not working however its easy to get these either replaced or repaired.  All the power accessories also work which include the seats and the windows.

The engine is the 365 cubic inch 300 HP V8 with the Hydromatic automatic transmission.  Both the engine and transmission are in excellent working order.  Mileage is currently at 96,600 miles and it has not turned over.  The bottom end of the engine was fully rebuild with a new crank, bearings, pistons, and connecting rods.  The top end has been serviced and all of the valves/springs/rocket arms look clean.  A new factory correct exhaust was installed recently.  The Hydromatic has also been serviced and its shifting/working the way it should.  The car will cruise effortlessly and quietly at 80 mph and get you to where you need to go without any issues.  I have taken this car on journeys up to 350 miles away without issue.  I also have receipts for all mechanical work done with this car over the last 40 years or so.

Here's whats new on the car:

Factory correct paint (2014)
Exhaust (new as of July 2019)
Fan blade assembly
Water pump (replaced at 91k)
Generator
Battery
Power steering lines
Tires (Coker radials)
Dash cap
Headliner
Front seat upholstery
Door seals
Trunk seal
Complete bottom end rebuild (at 92,000 miles)
Entire brake system refurbishment (including rebuilt master cylinder)
Vacuum regulator, lines, wiper motor
Windshield washer bottle
Transmission bushing and service
U-joints
Fluids for both engine, trans and rear end have been replaced per the service manual

I am asking 26,250 or best offer.  Any bidder/buyer should ask questions before committing to buying.  A non-refundable deposit of 1000 dollars needs to be made within 48 hours.  The final payment is due no later than 7 days from the end of the auction.  Payment can be in form of cashiers check (from an established bank or credit union), bank wire, cash, or PayPal provided the buyer covers the fees for using that service.  Buyer is also responsible for transportation costs however I wouldn't hesitate to take this and drive it across country.  This car is being sold "as is" without any warranty or return policy.  This is a turn key classic ready to provide you with years of enjoyment.

Here are some videos of the car driving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJfHEi_icuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-4vejFi9iA

Buyer will also receive many extra parts which include:

New 1957 Rochester 4GC carburetor
Transmission gears
Generator
Stainless trim
Hood pad (original is in the car and in ok shape)
Voltage regulator (extra)
Shop manual
3 sets of keys
All the original paperwork including receipts for all mechanical work spanning the life of the car

Car is located in Thornburg, Virginia.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Big Fins

Pretty car.  :)  Unless I missed it, the ad is great, just no location or price.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Cadillac Jack 82

26,250 or best offer.  Car is located in Thornburg, VA.  I've updated my original listing.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Dan LeBlanc

Bloody heck, Tim, you just can't catch a break on this one.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Cadillac Jack 82

Second buyer turned out just to be a broker buying it for a client.  When I asked where the payment was they canceled.  3rd ones a charm?
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Sounds like a normal day at the car lot.... ::)
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Cadillac Jack 82

First guy canceled after 3 days because he had "a family emergency".  Second canceled because he was a broker and claimed that his buyer had sent him funds...but strung me along for 2 weeks.  When I asked the 2nd buyer if he had any intention of completing the purchase he said he didn't and that he was sorry.  Oh well their loss.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Bobby B

Quote from: 55 CDV Fan 82 on October 03, 2019, 09:41:59 AM
First guy canceled after 3 days because he had "a family emergency".  Second canceled because he was a broker and claimed that his buyer had sent him funds...but strung me along for 2 weeks.  When I asked the 2nd buyer if he had any intention of completing the purchase he said he didn't and that he was sorry.

You need a Degree in Psychology to figure out why people do s**t like this. It pisses me off to no end why they would waste your time. It's like going to a new car dealer and test driving cars with no intention to buy. I guess some people just have a lot of free time and disregard for others who don't. Sorry to hear about this nonsense......
                    Bobby
1947 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible Coupe
1968 Mustang Convertible
1973 Mustang Convertible
1969 Jaguar E-Type Roadster
1971 Datsun 240Z
1979 H-D FLH

Rockfish39

To some degree eBay has been ruinous to the hobby. The INTERNET has changed the playing field in a billion different ways. So many of them BAD! Specifically , the rise of dreamers and keyboard warriors. In the old days the monthly Hemmings was the real go-to source for the hobbyist. It was a publication that one either subscribed to, or purchased at the newsstands.  Either way, you had to PAY to get it, and not everyone had it.
The internet is basically free and offers instant visual access to your wildest fantasies and offers safe anonymity for it's consumers at the same time. Who couldnt write a book on that subject?

Mecum is the only way to go these days. All the dreamers and time wasters are immediately excluded when your car goes across that block and people start bidding on it with real money. www.mecum.com

For the dollars that you are seeking?  You live in Thornburg? Consign your '57 with Mecum, Take the car to Lorton have it auto trained to Sanford, FL and then take it across the block in Kissimmee this next January.

FWIW    Rock 8)

I don't know about that. I've sold quite a few of vehicles on eBay over the years and the platform has consistently provided excellent results. I've never had much luck with Hemmings Motor News in the past. Getting "jerked around" is all part of the course of dealing cars, regardless of venue. If it was so easy, everybody would be doing it.

Cadillac Jack 82

I've sold plenty of cars on Ebay without having any issues.  I've sold my 1937 Lasalle, 1940 Chevy, 1954 Buick, and 1966 Mercury through Ebay.  Those transactions went very smoothly and without issue.  For some reason I keep getting deadbeats with my 57.  I'm either getting individuals who commit to buying but fail to pony up the $ or I get tire kickers offering me insanely low prices on the car.  Just had somebody try to offer 15k for it.  15k?  Good luck trying to find a good running example for that price...
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Caddy Wizard

Tim,

I am sorry to see that you are having trouble with ebay buyers.  I've bought and sold vintage Cadillacs on ebay and generally had good experiences.  I've bought and sold through private transactions and had more trouble with those than with ebay transactions.  Between purchases and sales, I probably have somewhere north of 35 transactions, so the sample size is not small.

Worst problem I have had is with folks changing their mind about selling a car for a stated price after we had agreed or after I had flown across the country to look at it.  Changing the price after we had agreed on price has been another problem.  I have only had a couple of instances where someone overstated the condition of the car and I was badly disappointed after the car arrived or after I flew or drove to look at it.  I think I have had one buyer back out.

Auctions are not without issues either.  I was in discussions with a guy to buy a 55 FW a few years ago.  I wanted the car very much and he seemed to want to sell it to me.  But I could only pay mid-20s and he refused to sell it to me for less than 30.  It being a very unusual factory color, the market for the car was thin.  Eventually he ran it through a reputable auction at no reserve.  The car sold for 19.  After paying to transport the car to the auction and the commission fee, he netted less than 17.  Both of us greatly regret that he didn't sell the car to me in a direct, private sale.

IMO, all ways of selling a car have some drawbacks and risks.  Best of luck -- your car looks great.
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

In the "SOLD" listings, there's a similar '57 CdV (except all Tahoe Blue - not two tone) with crap vinyl interior that is listed as sold for $28K so your price seems well in line. This sale point can, indeed should, be used to your advantage in correspondence with interested parties - especially considering the cost involved in returning to correct. 

It's a process. Just have to be patient and stick to your guns. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Cadillac-DeVille-/153553401220?hash=item23c07ef584%3Ag%3AFFMAAOSw%7EodcNRfA&nma=true&si=NnHJyvIOxr2QRdruRsTJ07gTM7Q%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

chrisntam

With car auctions, how does a buyer determine the condition of the engine, transmission, brakes & suspension without driving it?

Seems like only getting to look at it is half the battle....
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Rockfish39

Art, you're right. It's true enough that the big auctions have their drawbacks also, BUT there is one advantage that it does have over eBay.

eBay buyer's remorse is always met with failure to pay. This is not so at the big auctions. IF, and I do acknowledge the IF in that statement, two or more fish start biting and car becomes a bidding contest? The winner pays. If within ten seconds the high bidder has regret?? Too bad, so sad...
On the flip side of your 55 Fleetwood example, I saw a '58 eldo go across the Mecum block at $168,000.
I looked at that car carefully before it went across the block. It was OK, but wasn't worth anywhere near that much money. Not when the doors and trunk cannot close properly among a myriad of other issues. 

I wish success to you Tim on your sale, I really do
Rock 

Cadillac Jack 82

Reduced to 25,250.  If this doesn't sell by the beginning of November I'm taking it off the market for a while.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Cadillac Jack 82

After 4 attempts on Ebay (yes 4 individuals committed to buying the car but all 4 failed to complete the transaction) this vehicle is still for sale.  Price has been reduced to 24,000 or best offer.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Caddy Wizard

Wow.  So sorry to hear of your troubles selling the car.  Nice car...
Art Gardner

1955 S60 Fleetwood sedan (now under resto -- has been in paint shop since June 2022!)
1955 S62 Coupe (future show car? 2/3 done)
1958 Eldo Seville (2/3 done)

cadillac ken

Very nice car and a fair price. And a very popular year to boot.

I guess a lot of backlash I got for saying the market is soft in another thread was justified (?)

Cadillac Jack 82

Ken:

I had plenty of offers but they were too low or people were offering trades for other vehicles I had no interest in.  Out of the 4 that selected "Buy it now" only one actually left a deposit.  He pulled out when his buyer failed to send him the full amount (he had sold the car to an international buyer).  I have a little flexibility in my current price but not by much.  If it doesn't sell I'll just keep it and continue to enjoy it.
Tim

CLC Member #30850

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper