News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Does a 1931 oil pump fit a ‘32?

Started by yachtflame, December 18, 2019, 12:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yachtflame

I’m trying to help out a member with an oil pump. My books don’t show any info for the oil pump in a 355B. Does any one know FOR SURE if they both use the same oil pump?

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne Elsworth
CLC #17075

Johan Boltendal #158

The MPL doesn't show complete oil pumps, housing, cover and gears are mentioned, these are the same for 303 314 328 340 340 345 353 and 355 engines.
That indicates that parts ordered were supplied as fit for all engines mentioned. That should answer your question some how. I cannot say this is fact because I never
changed one to another. I would be assured to give it a try. regards Johan

yachtflame

I have the same book and came to the same conclusion...the 1927-1931 Cadillac and LaSalle oil pumps are the same. It doesn’t mention 355B oil pumps which is why I was asking the group if a any one has actual knowledge of their interchangeability.
The donor engine is in a 50’ trailer, it’s 15 degrees out and I can’t get an engine hoist to the trailer. I’ll have to roll the engine over and remove the oil pan to get to the pump making a mess in the trailer. I’d like to know for sure if they are the same before I start!
  Does any one here know for sure??
Wayne Elsworth
CLC #17075

DaveZ

Hi Wayne,
  From my experience if the MPL has the same PN and lists the series then the part is the same. If it helps I have a 32 pump out already. I can measure and take pics, or I can send it to ya. Maybe then you don't have to mess with the trailer?
Dave
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

yachtflame

Hi Dave,
   Thanks to you and all for the help. I finally broke down and did the deed. I waited for a warm day last week and since I couldn’t get a hoist to the trailer, I took lots of wood blocks and a long 4x4 to mimic the pharaohs. I was able to remove the oil pump on two 1927/28 LaSalle engines which turned out to be the same as the 1932. Also took out tubes, level floats and screens while there.
SO, the answer is YES, they didn’t change the oil pump design till sometime after 1932.
  If any one is in need of oil tubes, screens or floats you know where to go!
                            HAPPY NEW YEARS TO ALL!
Wayne Elsworth
CLC #17075

DaveZ

Hi Wayne, Good that you got it done. Dad was 99% sure they were the same:-)

Best Wishes.
Dave
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B