News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Replacing Rubber Ring In '37 LaSalle Sombrero Hubcap

Started by carlhungness, March 19, 2020, 09:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlhungness

The rubber ring around my '37 LaSalle Hubcaps appears to have been inserted
and then run through a die that crimped the metal ring every few inches. All the rubber
is gone from my hubcaps, save the one in the photo. It's possible to bend the crimps
back straight, but it'd be a long job.
       Suggestions for replacement solicited.
       This particular hubcap has the LaS emblem made into the cap, not removable. I wonder if it is a 36 or 38, my 37's have removable emblems.

tozerco

I don't think that's a '37. More like a '36 or earlier.
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

carlhungness

tozerco

Carl,

The only reason I am going for earlier is that it appears to be a two-part hubcap like the '36 Cadillac ones. I have a set of '37 hubcaps because I have a '37 75 series Cadillac that was brought to Australia as a CKD to be "assembled" here. As part of the kit, hubcaps (and quite a number of other things) were selected from the smaller cars in the US to keep the landed cost of the chassis on which tariffs and duties were levied down to a minimum.

If I'm right and that is from an earlier car, it should go quite some way towards the cost of a corect set of '37s because it should prove to be pretty rare I would think.
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

carlhungness

The one shown is a one part, the LaS medallion is not removable, it is a stamped part of the cap. I have three great 37 caps and one with a massive crease that can be taken out by a pro. Which means I am probably going to get some advice and beat on it myself.
   If I can figure out what year the cap in the photo is I may sell it as I now have enough emblems to make the six I need, four for the caps and two for the bumper face plates. My only problem lies with the broken tabs and moving tabs to make the LaS
read correct on the bumper face plates.

tozerco

Carl,

By two-part, I meant that the "external" sombrero bit appears to be a separate pressing (complete with the La Salle badge) and the "internal" bit with the two concentric rings pressed into it appears to be another pressing. This appears to be a bit like the '36 Cadillac hubcap that has an "external" pressing with the word 'Cadillac' pressed into it and a second "internal" pressing that bonds with the "external" bit around the edges. I know the '36 hubcaps are almost impossibleto find and even more difficult to re-make. There is a guy here in Oz that had a set made up at Huuuuuge cost!
John Tozer

'37 7513
'37 7533

carlhungness

I do need to figure out precisely what year that particular cap is so I can sell it without reservation. I have considered cutting the LaS out of the center and replacing it with one of my '37 tabbed medallions but I don't think I'm going to do that.
   One of my '37 caps has one huge long crease in it, and I am going to figure out just how to tap it  out and make it perfect. I know it can be done, I just don't have the experience and afraid of stretching the metal, so will go see a master body man friend who can guide me.
   So you believe my cap is a '36? I'm not sure, or could it be a '38?

Classic

Steele Rubber sells wheel cover cushions:  See"  https://www.steelerubber.com/wheel-cover-cushion-70-0633-38 .  They are about 2" long.  5 are required per wheel cover, but you can use more if desired.  They take the place of the rubber ring.  They can be crimped in or just use rubber cement.

Gene Menne
Gene Menne
CLC #474

carlhungness

I had no idea such a product was available. Thanks so much. Am now pounding on a huge crease in one hubcap and having pretty good luck.

DaveZ

I'm going with '38. '36 were completely different hubcaps. '37 were insert and it would be logical that they figured cheaper to press the LaS and did it that way in '38. '39 and '40 were different LaS design.

Quote from: carlhungness on March 22, 2020, 02:11:10 PM
   I do need to figure out precisely what year that particular cap is so I can sell it without reservation. I have considered cutting the LaS out of the center and replacing it with one of my '37 tabbed medallions but I don't think I'm going to do that.
   One of my '37 caps has one huge long crease in it, and I am going to figure out just how to tap it  out and make it perfect. I know it can be done, I just don't have the experience and afraid of stretching the metal, so will go see a master body man friend who can guide me.
   So you believe my cap is a '36? I'm not sure, or could it be a '38?
Regards,
David Zitzmann
1932 345B

carlhungness

I agree with your thinking. Just trying to make sure if I advertise this one for sale.