News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

1976 Door Jambs latch screws should be painted?

Started by amarzano, March 24, 2020, 06:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amarzano

I have an on-going mystery with my 76 Eldo Convert. The screws that hold the door latch hardware are painted body color. There are also a few bolts lower that are NOT painted.

There is some over spray on the latch hardware as well.  Is this how the cars came from the factory? My gut would say NO, but every photo I have seen of the VIN decal near the door latch for the 76 seems to show that the screws are in fact painted.

I knew the knowledge base here would have the answer.

Thank you.

Alex
1976 Eldorado Convertible - Labor of Love

Cadillac Fleetwood

My experience has been that the screws holding the door latch are painted, and that the screws holding the power door lock solenoids are not. And, since the door latch screws are painted, it stands to reason that the door was painted with the latch already installed, and that there could be some paint overspray on the latch.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

MaR

My drivers side door has never been taken apart on my '74 Eldorado and the latch screws are painted and the latch has overspray on it.

fishnjim

Generally were painted with the doors on, so screws would be too.

amarzano

1976 Eldorado Convertible - Labor of Love