News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac - Where do these parts go??

Started by Doug41, April 10, 2020, 08:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug41

Help!!!!
Can anyone identify where these brackets go?
I am restoring a 1959 Convertible.
Removed all bumpers, exterior chrome and stainless steel for re-plating/polishing.
Also removed and am replacing rubber front splash/dust shielding.
Took lots of pictures on disassembly, but apparently missed two small brackets (picture attached).
There are 8 smaller brackets and 2 of the larger bracket.
Car is almost back together, but still don't know where the parts go.
Doug

fishnjim

The top two look like front fender shims/braces/clips to me but only my guess since there's an even amount.   Look for something with 2 x 4 or 8 bolts.
The bottom are counter sunk so have to fit flush somewhere with screws.   Like a door panel or trunk piece.   The way they're stiffened, they kind of resemble floor stiffeners but wouldn't be that short nor screw in.   Somewhere there's 2 x 4 unused holes that match the screw pattern.   Look around.   Might have filled holes in unknowingly, so missed.   Might be under dash to hold something up, etc.

Go to the part list and look in the body section and standard parts for some clues.   
I got other things to do.   
If you have a body manual it may show/describe.   

59-in-pieces

Doug,
Here are a couple of pics that will help you.
I recognized these right off.
Check out the last pic to show you the back side of the tab and screw.
Notice the small clips that go into the gaps into which the screws go in to cinch the assembly in place

The other one I will need more time to recall - but not right now - but I recognize it, but not at the front of my mind - hang tight.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

59-in-pieces

Doug,
Went to bed last night and woke up with the answer for the second part.

Have fun - "MIKE DROP",
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Doug41

Steve,

Thank very much for the identification of the the parking light brackets.
Very helpful.
I installed the lights without the brackets, so I will need remove and reinstall.

It was several months ago that I removed the bumper system, but I vaguely remember the larger brackets had something to due with the rubber dust shields.
Does that sound correct?

Doug

Doug41

Wow Steve,

Thank you again.  I sent my last message before I received you recent message.
Thanks to you the mystery is solved.
Have a great Easter weekend (as great as possible under the circumstances.

Doug