News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Adding oil filter to 1940 Lasalle 322 flathead

Started by Dan Paige, June 02, 2020, 07:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Paige

I am looking to add an oil filter to my 1940 Cadillac LaSalle.   The engine will be removed next week and taken to L & R engine re-builders in Santa Fe Springs.   It is my understanding this 322 flathead does not have an oil filter.  The shop manual says to change the oil every 200 miles, but should I run synthetic if I cannot make an oil filter work. 

Since the engine will be all apart if I have to drill into the block or mount something this should be a good time to have the work done.  

If anyone has any ideas or input or suggestions I would love to hear since  the engine will be all apart.

Thanks again.
Proud owner of my first Cadillac LaSalle.  1940 5219.

LaSalle5019

This was just discussed recently. Using the search function....
http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=160072.0

I still have the filter set up if interested.
Scott

z3skybolt

Dan,

I believe that is every 2,000 miles. Not 200.   Good luck with your LaSalle. I have a 1940 5227 and have driven it over 9,000 miles.  7,000 since overhaul. I do not have a filter and change the oil every 1,000 miles.

Bob R.
1940 LaSalle 5227 Coupe(purchased May 2016)
1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series. Bought New.

Tom Beaver

You could use a filter like the one shown in the attached photo.  It uses a 37 mounting bracket, it's out of the way and saves a huge mess.  This one just filters the oil for the lifters but it could be plumbed to dump the filtered oil back to the engine through a hollow timing cover bolt.

Tom Beaver

harvey b

I have a filter very similar to the one shown,its on my 37.it seems to work fine,but when i change the filter i have to remove the fuel pump,there isnt enough room for the filter to come out of the canister >:(.Not a big deal but is annoying,if you get one maybe get one that is away from the pump?.Mine was on the motor when i got it. Harveyb
Harvey Bowness

harry s

I have a filter on my '37 like the one shown in the picture. Tom, where did you get the filter with the inlet and outlet on the top? I had only been able to find that same configuration canister with in on the top and out on the bottom. It's available through early MOPAR vendors for '40s & '50s Chrysler. The filter canister I use was hollowed out and converted to a spin on type. It looks authentic and works fine but as Harvey mentioned is a super PITA to change. I can do mine without fuel pump removal but it requires much contortion and cursing. Anyway back to the subject. I agree with Bob about not having a filter and changing oil on a tight schedule. Most old car owners change oil that way filter or not. All the flathead filters are add ons with the exception of 1937 (not sure about '36).
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

suchan

Yeah, the filter on the '37 looks real tidy until you try to remove and replace it. Doesn't take much imagination to figure why it was a one-year feature. I'll stick to changing the oil every 1000 miles.
Southworth, Washington
CLC #28060
1937 LaSalle 5019 Sedan
Cars that got away:
1930 Ford Model A Roadster and AA Flatbed
(2) 1938 Buick Sedans
1942 Chev Blackout Coupe
1953 Ford F100
1955 Ford Victoria
1956 Sedan DeVille
1962 Peugeot 403
1965 Peugeot 404
1971 Eldorado Convertible

Dan Paige

WOW, you guys are the best, thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly.  I have a lot to think about now, I am leaning towards some type of filter, even if it is not a full flow, something better than nothing.  I will also stick to 2000 mile oil changes.

Thank you again.

Dan
Proud owner of my first Cadillac LaSalle.  1940 5219.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Dan,
I think I sent you an email telling you I had most of the correct AC filter. I never heard back from you.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Tom Beaver

The filter that is shown in the picture in my previous post is based on an original 37 filter with inlet and outlet on top, however it is simply a hollow shell attached to the 37 filter bracket.  It is open at the bottom and uses a regular spin-on filter.  It is accessed from underneath the car and the spin-on filter is very easy to remove and replace without having to remove anything else.

Tom Beaver

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Tom,
That's fine , but he has a 1940 car. 37 is a one year only filter.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

LaSalle5019

Here is another photo for the aftermarket style of the day. I believe AC and Fram were the two most used. You can contrast the picture to the orange Fram unit I have for sale.
Scott