News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Replace fuel pump on 1969 Deville Convertible

Started by sturner50502, November 04, 2020, 07:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sturner50502

Hi All,

Its been a few months since last posted. Got my carb rebuilt and was able to start the engine. But it only ran as long as fuel was poured into carb/bowl. I figured out that its likely the fuel pump that needs replacing (pulled inlet line off of carb and started engine...no fuel)

I searched for an AC Delco fuel pump; no luck. The fuel pumps at the local auto parts have a larger diameter outlet which does not allow me to connect the outlet line. Also, the new pumps do not have any internal filter.

Any ideas on this issue?

Also, are there any things I need to be worried about when I replace the pump into the engine block? How can I be sure the pump lever is lined up properly on the cam shaft?

Thanks
Steve Turner
1969 De Ville Convertible
1989 Brougham d'Elegance

Cadman-iac

Hey Steve,

It's been a while since I have changed the fuel pump on a 472, but it's pretty straight forward.
As for the fitting size, if memory serves,  the first few years of this engine used a 5/16" line, but it was changed to a 3/8" around 73 or so, (I think that's correct).
You might want to have your parts source double check their books and make sure they are looking at a 69 and not a newer year.
The filter issue can be handled with an in-line one somewhere between the pump and the carb, wherever it's easiest to get to. Some people say use a clear or plastic one so you can see if it's got any debris in it, and others recommend that you use one with a metal housing for safety reasons. I personally prefer the metal one. If I want to know if there's anything in it, I just pull it off and shake out the fuel and whatever onto a clean paper towel.

I had a 69 ragtop years ago and I really miss it.  Enjoy yours, and stay safe.
I hope I have been of some help.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

klinebau

You have a 5/16" fuel line and all of the new fuel pumps are going to have a fittings for a 3/8" line.  Sometimes you can transfer the fitting from the old pump to the new pump along with the fuel filter holder.  The other option is to switch to a 3/8" fuel line, but you would also need to change the fitting on the carburetor (these are readily available).  You can still find NOS fuel pumps on eBay, but it will have 50 year old rubber and may not hold up to ethanol.

When installing, if the cam is in a position which compresses the pump lever, it will be more difficult to install as you will be working against the spring on the fuel pump lever.  You can rotate the crank if you notice this becoming too much of a problem.
1970 Cadillac Deville Convertible
Detroit, MI

Daryl Chesterman

Steve, if you do have the 5/16" fuel line, and the fitting on the replacement fuel pump is 3/8", there is a brass adapter that will easily take care of this problem.  Log into the NAPA online catalog (https://www.napaonline.com/) and type in part number 7916 in the search window.  It will bring up a picture of the brass fitting.  If you click on the brass fitting, it will show three pictures of the fitting.  This is a generic picture, so the proportions aren't the same as the actual fitting.  You can use this adapter and keep all of your original lines.  As Rick said, you can use an inline filter in the line from the pump to the carburetorâ€"somewhere in a straight section that will be easy to get to when it needs to be changed.

Daryl Chesterman

cadillacmike68

There are 1969 fuel pumps on fleabay right now. AC and Carter which made them for GM back when the cars were new. If the pump works then just the filter might need changing. I didn't look for that, but it should be readily available.

At least you don't have a on off year like 1968 which was different for AC vs non AC cars to boot! Quite the large fuel filter on a 1968.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

sturner50502

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on November 05, 2020, 11:55:23 PM
There are 1969 fuel pumps on fleabay right now. AC and Carter which made them for GM back when the cars were new. If the pump works then just the filter might need changing. I didn't look for that, but it should be readily available.

At least you don't have a on off year like 1968 which was different for AC vs non AC cars to boot! Quite the large fuel filter on a 1968.

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the info. I purchased a NOS from ebay. We will see if it holds up.
Steve Turner
1989 Brougham d'Elegance

sturner50502

Quote from: Daryl Chesterman on November 04, 2020, 06:52:58 PM
Steve, if you do have the 5/16" fuel line, and the fitting on the replacement fuel pump is 3/8", there is a brass adapter that will easily take care of this problem.  Log into the NAPA online catalog (https://www.napaonline.com/) and type in part number 7916 in the search window.  It will bring up a picture of the brass fitting.  If you click on the brass fitting, it will show three pictures of the fitting.  This is a generic picture, so the proportions aren't the same as the actual fitting.  You can use this adapter and keep all of your original lines.  As Rick said, you can use an inline filter in the line from the pump to the carburetor—somewhere in a straight section that will be easy to get to when it needs to be changed.

Daryl Chesterman

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for the info on the adapter from NAPA. I am also able to use the fitting from my old pump as it fits into the new one. Except, The inner spring from the original pump (which holds the filter in the pump) will not go into the new pump. So, I would still need to install an inline filter. So, will be trying a NOS pump I got off ebay.

Thanks for info. 
Steve Turner
1989 Brougham d'Elegance

sturner50502

Quote from: klinebau on November 04, 2020, 12:52:05 PM
You have a 5/16" fuel line and all of the new fuel pumps are going to have a fittings for a 3/8" line.  Sometimes you can transfer the fitting from the old pump to the new pump along with the fuel filter holder.  The other option is to switch to a 3/8" fuel line, but you would also need to change the fitting on the carburetor (these are readily available).  You can still find NOS fuel pumps on eBay, but it will have 50 year old rubber and may not hold up to ethanol.

When installing, if the cam is in a position which compresses the pump lever, it will be more difficult to install as you will be working against the spring on the fuel pump lever.  You can rotate the crank if you notice this becoming too much of a problem.

Hi Kurt,

I am worried about the NOS pump with the rubber being so old. I bought one off ebay. The seller said that he sold several of them without any problems. We will see how the one I purchased works out. Everyone here has given me great advice. I was specifically concerned about getting the pump lever in the correct spot. You answered my question. Sounds like I dont need to worry about a push rod? Thanks.
Steve Turner
1989 Brougham d'Elegance

sturner50502

Quote from: cadillacmike68 on November 05, 2020, 11:55:23 PM

Hi Mike,

I grabbed a NOS from ebay. Hopefully it works even though its 50 years old! Thanks for the info
Steve Turner
1989 Brougham d'Elegance

cadillacmike68

Steve, I have a few of them and the separate GF440 fuel filter, both one offs for 1968 ONLY and the filter is specific for AC cars only too. They are sitting in my garage. The one we put in many moons ago is still running fine. I only use Shell or another toptier gas in my 68 so dirty fuel has not been an issue for me. When the one in the car dies, the replacements should be good - I hope.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike