News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1997 Eldorado ESC

Started by arthurpym, March 10, 2021, 08:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurpym

Found in Grand Rapids. 63,000 mile survivor; CarFax and restorer inspection shows no damage ever. Everything works, except a slightly sticky driver window. Chassis shows minimal rust. There are minor dents in the hood and driver door, and a small rust bubble lower left front fender. Engine is strong, and the car drives very well and brakes straight. I like it for the shape, and the fact that the metallic red paint and spoiler makes a 4846-lb. car look dainty.

Roger Zimmermann

Nice! No oil leak at the engine?
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

arthurpym

Oh yes, I had factored in the cost of a rebuild even before it was inspected pre-purchase. It shows a steady flow but no blowback. I have a good friend who actually builds race cars for a living, and he is a master engine builder. Both my buddy and the inspector advise driving it and having fun this year first, which I hope to do. It's a real time capsule. I have a cassette tape (no CD player) of Nirvana playing at The Blind Pig in Ann Arbor, Michigan in 1990. Quite suitable! And thank you for the compliment.

bcroe

Quote from: arthurpymI like it for the shape, and the fact that the metallic red paint and spoiler makes a 4846-lb. car look dainty.

Funny how these discussions often seem to make a car 1000 lb
heavier than it is.  Bruce Roe

arthurpym

GM (attachment) says you're wrong.

Big Apple Caddy

We're talking about two different "weights" here.  GVWR is the gross vehicle weight which would include passengers, cargo, etc.  That is 4,846 lbs. according to the sticker.  However, the car's curb weight (without passengers, cargo, etc.) would be around 3,800 lbs.

arthurpym

Ahhhhhh, my mistake. That makes me feel much better about my 8.6 mpg in town so far.

James Landi

These are lovely cars... i owned one of this vintage--- I suggest that you check to see if this has speed adjusting ride dampening shock absorbers... it's  been over 20 years, but I recall  some unabtainable shocks way back when,,,, i hope I'm  wrong.  Make certain the radiator is thoroughly cleaned, as mineral build up will create serious overheating in the summer.  Good luck with it... they are wonderful cars.. James

arthurpym

Thank you, James. The shape is bewitching to me, because it should not work. The cowl is too high, as is the deck, but the greenhouse ties it all together. And it has a pleasing wraparound effect from stem to stern. Appreciate the news about shocks, will see what I can learn. I had previously done a '63 Continental sedan, but electrical gremlins got the better of me. Really pleased so far, but I am still in my honeymoon period. (!)