News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1958 Murder trial of a Maine woman (Cadillac carbon monoxide poisoning possible)

Started by ByronWillis, March 12, 2021, 12:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ByronWillis

Hey there Cadillac aficionados,
I am researching the case of a Patricia, a 28-year-old Maine woman who died in 1958 in the back seat of an idling Cadillac.  A man (Everett) was charged with her murder, and during the trial his chief defense was carbon monoxide poisoning.

I have limited experience with classic cars, and I'm exploring/researching the possibility of this explanation.

Here are the facts that are known for certain:
Everett drove the Cadillac from Augusta, ME to Oakland, ME (20 miles), where he picked up the Patricia at 1:40PM on the afternoon of Tue, 6/3/1958
They drove together to one location (unsure where), and then another location (8 miles) away her home
They parked the car, left the engine on (idling), turned on the A/C, and moved to the back seat of the cabin.
The last thing that Everett said he remembered from that afternoon is Patricia asking him the time, to which he replied 4:00PM (they were still in the car)
Patricia died in the back seat of the car, time of death disputed (body not found until 2 days later)
Everett left the car on foot at some point that afternoon and wandered on foot, missing for two days, disoriented and foggy

(scroll down thread for the rest of the story.  The character limit cuts off what I can post in one post.)

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I suppose it's theoretically possible for exhaust to have been drawn through the rear air intakes (scoops) causing carbon monoxide poisoning if there had been no wind and the car had been idling stationary for an extended period of time with the windows closed.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Moot point I believe. Even in 1958 an ME could determine that death was from CO poisoning rather than other causes.
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

ByronWillis

Greg,
There were conflicting medical opinions.  The state's medical examiner contended that she didn't die of carbon monoxide (because of the absence of the cherry red coloring associated with carbon monoxide death).  Her body was exhumed 3 months after her death by the defense and a Harvard doc conducted tests and found a 25% saturation of her blood cells by carbon monoxide.

The crux of the trial focused on differing expert medical opinions from well-respected experts.

Byron

ByronWillis

Here's testimony during the trial quoted by the newspaper from an air conditioning tech and from an auto mechanic
Ezra Chadwick of Clinton, an installer of refrigeration units and air conditioners, testified that he examined Everett's car and air conditioner unit at the Skowhegan barracks of the state police and found an opening between the rubber tube and flange leading to an air duct. He said that the combination of a three inch duct and a four inch tube such as existing in the air conditioner in the car would tend to draw anything gathering in the trunk of the vehicle into the conditioner circulator.

Chadwick testified that the plug in the bottom of the spare tire well in the trunk was found to be missing, leaving an opening of one inch in diameter.
Oakley Philbrick, an auto mechanic from Augusta, testified that he inspected the car September 6 and found two holes in the right rear tailpipe, each about one inch long.  He said the holes were at the same level and to the right of the opening into the bottom of the trunk.

(see following post in this thread with my questions)

ByronWillis

My questions are in the attachment.  I can't seem to be able to finish my post because of some sort of character limit.  Very frustrating.

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

There is a lot of "could've should'a would'a" in this case.  Did they salt the roads in Maine back then? A two year old car on the east coast would very likely have been exposed to the effects of salt and resulting rust, including to the exhaust system.
To get a definitive answer to your question we would need one thing.  The car in the exact shape it was in at the time of the death. Anything else is a SWAG. 
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

ByronWillis

Greg,
Would you mind to weigh in on my specific questions?  I agree that there's never going to be conclusive resolution, but I'm hoping to provide some detailed analysis for our listeners, and I cannot do it without the support of experts like the folks on this forum.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

1. Just to clarify, further delving reveals the car to be a Fleetwood Sixty Special not Series 62 Sedan. Also there are air scoops on either side of the decklid, not just one.

2. Absolutely plausible for the exhaust to be drawn into the cabin with the extra openings noted, especially since the air conditioning blower fans are mounted within the trunk area in this model year.   

3. As a general rule, sitting inside an idling car for extended periods is discouraged because of CO concerns. Even today, radio announcers often warn motorists stranded in the snow to crack windows open.  Anything is theoretically possible but the extra opening in the trunk floor could certainly have accelerated CO entry into the cabin.

4. Carbureted engines generally burn richest at idle but this is a side issue, possibly resulting in an elevated smell of gas the exhaust fumes due to incomplete burning. A normal running engine should produce less CO at idle than it would at speed.

5. Even if "blow by" were present, it's unlikely to have played a significant role.

6. It's not uncommon for people to be overcome by exhaust fumes without realizing the process is taking place and by the time they do, it's often too late.  Years back there was a story in Car & Driver about a 20-something or late teen who was working on a Hearse he owned in an enclosed garage who lost consciousness quite quickly while he had been working on the car with the engine running and tragically succumbed. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Lexi

I concur with Eric. Also, one of our vintage Cadillac buddies was busy prepping his car for paint in his garage-turned into a paint booth. With the car running he failed to note that the garage door had slowly closed so the area was no longer vented & quickly filled with exhaust fumes. Investigation revealed that he made a dash to open it, but collapsed at the door and succumbed to the fumes. Clay/Lexi

tmdeturck

Quote from: ByronWillis on March 12, 2021, 12:49:28 PM... and found two holes in the right rear tailpipe, each about one inch long.
This does not say whether the holes were rust holes, or intentionally made holes.  The car was only 2 years old at this point.  Would the exhaust pipe have rusted that quickly?

If you really want to know the likelihood of this occurring, an experiment could be conducted to mimic the conditions and monitor the amount of a tracer gas introduced in a lab setting.  I would think there would be enough similar '56 models around to do it.  What is the end game for this inquiry?
1963 Series 6229
1937 Series 6019