News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

Picked up a '61 DeVille to tinker with

Started by Piening2150, October 10, 2021, 01:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piening2150

Just joined although I've had the car for a couple months and have found some useful info on this forum to help me along. I don't plan on a full restoration as I like the honest patina the car has from sitting 30 years or so. I don't know much about it's history.

I drove from Ohio to Indiana to buy what I was told was a 'driver' that just needed a gas tank, interior and some rust in the trunk fixed. It definitely was NOT driven much, if at all, since the most recent tags expired in '86 (and were from Minnesota, not Indiana). It did run and drive when I got it, but just barely. Cooling system was empty so I didn't run it more than a minute or 2. It appeared to be all original except the 'new' Edelbrock carb the seller installed. Even still has the original generator.

So far I've:
- Got the power windows working again
- Changed all the fluids and belts
- New plugs/wires, Pertronix ignition, MSD coil, cap/rotor
- Fixed throttle spring and choke that were done wrong
- New aluminum radiator, hoses, thermostat
- New exhaust manifold gaskets and temporary muffler
- Sealed original leaking gas tank since the ship date kept getting pushed back for the new one I ordered.

Now that I can finally run it up to temperature I've found a freeze plug leaking behind the starter and the trans pan looks like it's leaking too. So now I get to drain my new fluids and fix those items. Hopefully after that and reinstalling the gas tank I can at least take it out on the road to see what the next point of failure might be  ::) Interior needs a lot of love too. Door panels are pretty intact, but filthy. Hopefully I can clean them rather than replace.

I was originally hoping to get driving before car show season ended, but I guess I'll have to settle for next year. Built a new detached garage to keep it in and work on it which needs to be completed too. At least it's finished enough to get the DeVille out of my parking spot in the attached garage. This is my first classic car, so we'll see how much I'm in over my head soon I suppose!
1961 Cadillac Sedan DeVille 6 window

James Landi

Owned one like yours only it was a convertible back in the mid 60's.  They are very durable machines. but are subject to rust, especially in the rear frame.  I'd look carefully at the brakes--- new steel lines, new rubber hoses, renewed brake cyinders--- doesn't have a dual master braking system.  ALso, what amount of "blow by" is evident?  These did not have PCV set ups.  As my 61 aged, I created a simple "work around" pcv that kept the noxious smoke from under the car, especially at stop lights.  Your transmission likely needs renewed seals and "o" rings.  Keep us up to date on your progress... drive it lovingly, as if you had an uncooked egg between your foot and the accelerator.   Hope this helps, James   

Piening2150

Thanks for the tips. So far the frame looks ok. I've got holes in the trunk floor and in the driver's front and both rear seat footwells (that were patched poorly). I plan to upgrade the brakes to front disc and a dual circuit master cylinder. I'll have to check blowby/smoking once all the crud from sitting burns off. ;D First (and so far, only) time I got it up to temp the whole garage was smoked out from the gunk burning off! I will drive it gently, especially at first. Actually that was the whole point of buying this particular classic. No temptation to 'hot rod' it, just something I could fix up and make into a decent cruiser for cars & coffee and such.

wrench

Good luck, welcome to the forum...

Have fun and keep us posted.
1951 Series 62 Sedan
1969 Eldorado
1970 Eldorado (Triple Black w/power roof)
1958 Apache 3/4 ton 4x4
2005 F250
2014 FLHP
2014 SRX

Big Fins

Yes sir, you will be doing more than tinkering. Make it fun and it's never a job.

You sure did lie to that U-Haul renter. They would never give you a carrier for an old Cadillac.

I just tell them I'm pulling a Toyota or some newer American car.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Piening2150

I absolutely did! Told them I was hauling my beater '01 Acura TL

Big Fins

Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

dochawk

nice find.

Definitely get the back end well out of the garage before leaving it running longer than it takes to back out . . . I also open the door first.  Forgot to do that once, and got exhaust stains on the door (I suppose they go well with the fin tracks . . ::))

Now I'm curious.  Do you think I could tow a '72 Eldorado with their dolly, or would I need the trailer?  [either way, I'd have to slap a ball into the receiver on the van first . . .]
1972 Eldorado convertible,  1997 Eldorado ETC (now awaiting parts swap from '95 donor), 1993 Fleetwood but no 1926 (yet)

James Landi

Doc--- I tried to rent one for my 72 Eldo convertible back 12 years ago--- rental places: "NO WAY"   Bought the car after it had been in storage for many years--- and drove it 600 miles to bring it home... on major highways... ran fine. FOrtunately the former owner filled the gas tank before storing it.    James

Piening2150

You'll have to figure out the capacities of the vehicle and trailer to see if either will work for you. In my case the truck tows 8300 and the trailer + car was about 7000 (and the '61s wheelbase was just under the max trailer capacity) so I was well within my truck's capabilities. Either way, they will definitely deny your rental if you tell them you want to tow such a big old beast!