News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

I need help with my car

Started by Caddydaddy0428, October 29, 2021, 10:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caddydaddy0428

I'm 15 lost a very close buddy of mine he was a surrogate grandfather to me when he passed away he left me with a 65 Cadillac coupe Deville I hooked up a mechanical pump and she was running and revving like it was brand new then I shut it off and when I went to start it I had no power to the starter went to jump it from the solenoid but it had no power I'm also looking for cheap parts whatever anyone has I'll probably need as she needs a lot I can't afford much right now but if shipping isn't bad and the price I'd the part isn't bad I'll buy it if anyone has any give me a text at 507-621-4621

signart

Hello Daniel, and welcome. Sorry to hear about your friend.
First thing to do is check voltage on your battery with a volt meter. If you don't have one, buy one if you can, it will come in handy while doing maintenance on your classic Cadillac. Walmart has one for about $10 that will work just fine. Check voltage directly on the posts, not the cable connections. Should read at least 12.6 volts.
Next remove both cable ends from the battery and clean the battery post until shiny with a stiff wire brush or course sandpaper. Clean the inside of the cable connections till shiny as well.
Reconnect the positive cable, then the ground cable, tighten then give it a try.
Report results back here, you will find plenty of folks familiar with your model willing to help.
Art D. Woody

TJ Hopland

Do the headlights or anything electrical work?    Did they work before?   How long ago was this car running and driving?

I agree with Art in that its most likely cable related.  Grounds is another possible problem area.   For grounds you can try using the jumper cables to add grounds between the battery and engine. 

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Cadman-iac

Daniel,

To make it unanimous, I would have to agree with Art and TJ, it sounds exactly like a bad connection at your battery.
You can have one work one minute, and quit the next.  It just depends on what load you're putting on it, the temperature, etc, etc....
Clean up your battery and cable connections and give it another try.

Also, I've had several batteries that had a bad internal connection. They would check out with a simple multimeter, but if you tested it with a load, it dropped the current flow to nothing instantly.
How old is your battery? If it's more than 5 or 6 years old, you may want to get a new one. Before you do that though, take your's to a parts store and have it tested. They'll do that for free, and if it's bad, you've already got your core there for exchange.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"

79 Eldorado

Daniel,
Be VERY careful jumping the solenoid. I had a similar issue, in description, and it turned out to be the car appeared to be in Park but it was actually in reverse (NSS Neutral safety switch was doing the job it was designed to do). As soon as the car started it moved in reverse. Had I been under the car let's just say I probably wouldn't be around to post a reply here.

As others mentioned: Good connections, including at the battery and the grounds. Battery health.

Sorry to hear about your friend.

Scott

Cadillac Fleetwood

Condolences for the loss of your pal, and congratulations on acquiring a '65 Coupe de Ville. I wholeheartedly agree with TJ, Art, Rick., and Scott.  If you have the kind of battery terminals that bolt onto the cable ends, disassemble them. They often hide extensive corrosion and build-up. Clean the wire ends thoroughly, and install either new cable clamps, or the existing ones if they will clean up properly.

There are many enthusiasts on this site that have '65 and '66 Cadillacs, with a wealth of knowledge to share, and probably parts as well.  Once you've got it going again, send me a PM - I have lots of '65 parts.

Charles Fares
Forty-Five Years of Continuous Cadillac Ownership
1970 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 DeVille Convertible
1989 Fleetwood

"The splendor of the most special occasion is rivaled only by the pleasure of journeying there in a Cadillac"

Carfreak

507 area code - guessing you are in Minnesota? 

Perhaps there are some CLC members in your area who may be able to provide some assistance? 

You could start by reaching out to the CLC Northstar Region. 

NORTHSTAR (1978, Minnesota)
Edward Gunyo
2548 Uptown Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55405-2346
612-619-3983
egunyo@msn.com
northstarcadillac.org

Right now, through December 31, the Cadillac & LaSalle Club is offering a FREE 6 month online membership.  This allows you to view issues of The Self Starter magazine with tech articles going back to 2004. 

Then if you want to join the club after the 6 months free membership, you would be eligible for the Junior (discounted) membership fee. 

Congrats on your 'new' car. 
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

stushug

Quote from: Caddydaddy0428 on October 29, 2021, 10:31:03 PM
I'm 15 lost a very close buddy of mine he was a surrogate grandfather to me when he passed away he left me with a 65 Cadillac coupe Deville I hooked up a mechanical pump and she was running and revving like it was brand new then I shut it off and when I went to start it I had no power to the starter went to jump it from the solenoid but it had no power I'm also looking for cheap parts whatever anyone has I'll probably need as she needs a lot I can't afford much right now but if shipping isn't bad and the price I'd the part isn't bad I'll buy it if anyone has any give me a text at 507-621-4621
Daniel,
First, (I'm not trying to be mean) when you post here you should type your messages with proper punctuation. I was very difficult to read your post.
The  other members are right on with their call on the bad battery connection. I just had a similar situation with my car, and it was a bad connection on the positive cable. I would also suggest you find a factory service manual for your car, they can be a real lifesaver. Good luck and keep posting!

Cadman-iac

Daniel,
I took the liberty to punctuate your post to make it easier for people (like me) to read and understand what you are saying. I hope I got your meaning correct.
  Rick

I'm 15. (I) lost a very close buddy of mine. he was a surrogate grandfather to me. when he passed away he left me with a 65 Cadillac coupe Deville. I hooked up a mechanical pump and she was running and revving like it was brand new, then I shut it off, and when I went to start it I had no power to the starter. (I) went to jump it from the solenoid, but it had no power. I'm also looking for cheap parts, whatever anyone has I'll probably need, as she needs a lot. I can't afford much right now, but if shipping isn't bad, and the price, (and) the part isn't bad I'll buy it. if anyone has any, give me a text at 507-621-4621
CLC# 32373

Big Fins

Probably using voice to text on a phone. Unless you speak the punctuation words such as, period, or comma, it just continues on with one long sentence.

EDIT: Check your capitalization, Richard.  ;D  Cleaning up the Internet one post at a time!
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Cadman-iac

Quote from: Big Fins on October 31, 2021, 11:19:06 AM
Probably using voice to text on a phone. Unless you speak the punctuation words such as, period, or comma, it just continues on with one long sentence.

EDIT: Check your capitalization, Richard.  ;D  Cleaning up the Internet one post at a time!

Lol !! John, I thought about trying to fix everything, but I figured just breaking it up into separate sentences would make it more understandable at least.  I did add a few words in parentheses though, as it didn't really make sense without them.
I'm also doing this on a phone, and I'm still trying to figure out some of the tricks, like putting an "X" over a word without erasing it or changing it.
Thanks for the input though, I'll try to fix those things next time.

Rick
CLC# 32373

Big Fins

Yes. Try saying Hello John comma good to see you again period

It will come out like it's mean to. People tell me I take too much time to make a text, yet it comes out exactly the way it would being typed by a person with command of English. You have to proofread it all before sending, but it' comes out a lot better than one continuous sentence.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

signart

Art D. Woody

Cadman-iac

Lol! We might have scared this poor kid off with all this talk about "gramma". I hope not, we need more young people interested in these old cars if we expect them to live on.
CLC# 32373

Big Fins

He registered, posted and hasn't been seen since. Forums are a PITA to navigate on a phone. The screens are too small. He posted his number in hopes of people calling/texting him.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Fleetwood Brougham
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

59-in-pieces

I agree, the grammar cum-up-ins is more than over the top - way off topic - and at his age, I'd say - I DON'T NEED THIS.

Hospitality, I give it a -7.

Have fun, but not at someone else's expense.
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Michael Petti

Sent a pm saying we can help and give us another shot. We'll see what happens. I hope he got his car started.

stushug

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on November 01, 2021, 12:15:01 PM
I agree, the grammar cum-up-ins is more than over the top - way off topic - and at his age, I'd say - I DON'T NEED THIS.

Hospitality, I give it a -7.

Have fun, but not at someone else's expense.
Steve B.
Everyone was more than gracious, telling the kid to check his punctuation certainly isn't over the top. It will help him in his everyday life when communicating with others.

Bill Balkie 24172

Just my 2 cents ?
     The man was asking  for help with his car . He was probably Embarrassed with the comment .  Non of us are perfect .   I hope he gets his car straightened out .

Bill
Bill Balkie
1970 Coupe DeVille
2009 CTS

59-in-pieces

the OP was asking for help from this Cadillac Forum about Cadillac STUFF.
You would think that he should of found it here, without the "superiority fest".

When he needs or wants help with his writing skills, this is not the place to dispense it -unsolicited.

Personal note:
So many years ago when I needed specific Cadillac guidance, I sought out this forum.
And like the OP, I was met with the attitudes of "GET LOST KID, YOU BOTHER ME" - treated much like a member of the ignorant unwashed masses, not worthy.

Good thing I was thick skinned and had a - helical spiral around a central shaft You - attitude.
So, I know how this kid likely felt with asking, and received merde for answers.

Have fun,
Steve B.

S. Butcher