News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac rear axle width

Started by Dale Nash, May 08, 2005, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Nash

I have a 1949 Cadillac Sedanette and the rear axle assembly needs replacing. Im thinking of using an early 1970s rear end. The width of the 1949 rear axle (wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface is 64 1/4. Can anyone tell me the width (wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface) of an early 70s Caddy rear axle? They both have 5 B.C. for the wheel studs as I would like to use my 49 wheels. Does anyone else have any suggestions for another replacement? Thank you. Dale Nash CLC member 18693.

Doug Houston

I have a 70 Cadillac rear axle assembly here thats about to go to a junk collector, and I could measure it for you. But beyond that, the mounting for those axles was radically different than on the 49 cars. The 49 had leaf rear springs and the later cars had all coils, and a very different rear suspension. You couldnt bolt on the later axle, even if it should be the right width. I dont know if the differential and carrier assembly (the pig) would bolt into the 49 housing, though I doubt it.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Dale, is your housing bad or the removable center section bad? As Doug said ,its a tough conversion to a later rear end. Bob

Dale Nash

I realize the rear axle mounting is different. I plan to use the 49 axle mounts and weld them onto the later model rear end. Ive put Chevy rear ends in old Fords, its not that big a deal. Im looking for a newer rear end that has the 5 BC and is about 64 1/2 wide (wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. Thats why Im asking about the early 70s Caddy rear end. My Caddy drivetrain was totally rebuilt (except for the rear axle) a couple of years ago. I put 390 heads on the 331 and an Edelbrock 4 barrel carb. What a difference. The original rear end in my 49 is really starting to growl. Thats why I want to put a later model rear end in the car. Thanks. Dale

Dale Nash

If you could measure the distance from the wheel mounting surface to the wheel mounting surface I would really appreciate it. Where abouts are you located and what condition is the rear axle you have in? Thanks for your help. Dale You can email me at dale@nashrodandcustom.com

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Dale, I measured a 70 rear end. The dimensions are about 64 1/2. A 70 & up rear end is a Spicer style( non removable carrier) with a typicle ratio of 2.93 or 2.73. Bob

Jeff Maltby 4194

Dale. Rpm Engineering in Arizona can tell you what r.end will work in your 49 coupe.

He is listed in Hemmings in bold yellow ads, offering disc brake-rack-pinion and power steering units conversions etc, for our vintage cadillacs for 1941 and up.

Jeff 49 coupe

Dale Nash

Thanks Bob. Thats the info I was looking for. It sounds like the early 70s rear axle is the right width. Thanks again. Dale