News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1968 Cadillac DeVille engine number.

Started by Dale, August 11, 2005, 08:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale

Hi all.
Would one of you very kind people please help me with the engine number on my 1968 DeVille. I want to know if it is correct for the car. The engine number stamped on the top of the block, down the back near the gearbox bellhousing SEEMS to be 6213518. This may not be 100percent correct as it is very faint (even after wire brushing it with a drill). Is this the number I should be looking at, or should I be looking somewhere else? Can someone please tell me how the engine number is meant to tie in with the VIN number under the windscreen. Many thanks.

Lynn 10923

In 68 the engine number should be exactly the same as the VIN, and this should also be the same as the number stamped on the side of the transmission.  The full VIN is used in all 3 places.  The number actually starts with a letter which designates the body style.  The second character should be an 8, which is the last digit of the year.  If the engine and trans numbers dont match the VIN, the they have been replaced at some point.

Lynn

Dale

Thanks Lynn. Thats very nice of you help me out with your information.
One last question. If the number on the top of the block is 6213518, do you know what year etc. it relates to? It is possible that the 6 at the start is actually a G. Does that make any more sense?

JIM CLC # 15000

08-12-05
Dale, take some white paint on your finger and wipe accross the numbers, wiping off the excess paint that is not in/on the numbers and you should be able to read it just fine.
HTH
Good Luck, Jim

Lynn 10923

Last night I said the full VIN was also used on the engine and trans, but checking my shop manual here it says that only the last seven characters were used on the engine and trans, and that the body style code was left off.  Sounds strange to me; Im going to have to go out and check my engine blocks now.  But heres how a 68 Cadillac VIN breaks down.  The VIN should have eight characters.  The seven digits on the engine and trans should still match the last seven on the body VIN.  The first character is a letter which is the body style code.  The second character is the last digit of the year.  For 68 this will have to be an 8.  The last six digits are the sequence number of the car on the production line, regardless of model.  Double check that the 6 is not an 8.  From the sounds of things its not going to be a G.  Sometimes these numbers arent stamped very well and are a little unclear.  Does your engine number match your VIN?

Lynn

Dale

Hi Lynn,
Thanks again for the info. No, the engine number as I read it has no correlation to the VIN. Its not even close. I suspect that as you suggested, the engine has been swapped out at some point. Thats no big deal to me, it just would have been nice if it was the original motor. But like I said, no big deal. Thanks and kind regards, Dale.

Michael Stamps 19507

Dale would you know the head casting number?  That could help in finding out what year engine is in it at least.

Stampie

Dale

Ill have a look. Where do I look for the head casting number? Thanks.

Michael Stamps 19507

That depends on the head.  Some where under the valve covers (950 heads) and some were on the outside (552 heads).  I would suspect an early head so look under the valve covers first.

Stampie