News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fuel Injectors - 1978 Seville 5.7L V8 Gas

Started by Terry Boyce, August 15, 2005, 10:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Boyce

Two of the fuel injectors are leaking gasoline on my 78 Sevilles engine. One seems to be losing fuel around the top of the injector. The other is just seeping. A local garage has the car and is having a hard time finding original GM injectors. Do any members know where these can be obtained? I have noted that Echlin injectors for my cars engine are listed by NAPA. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they OK? Or, should  I just bring the car home and try installing o-rings in the injectors -- is the leak near the top, around the wiring connector, an o-ring failure? Im in a bit of a rush, as Id like to get the car running in the next couple of days for the Woodward Dream Cruise. Thanks for any suggestions.  Terry Boyce CLC #17382

Michael Stamps 19507

Andrew 10642

This is a Bosch EFI system used from 75-79 on Cadillacs.  Not sure if the 350 v-8 injectors were different from the 425/500
V-8 injectors.  Anyway, check http://www.fuelinjectioncorp.com/ TARGET=_blank>http://www.fuelinjectioncorp.com/

Junk yards always may have some, but these were scarce in comparison to carbs.

Steve Preston #16375

I replaced all 8 of mine in my 76 Eldo from Al @ MTS. Good price and they are working fine. They are 50 lbs./hr for the 500 ci & I think the 425s used 42 lbs./hr. Al will have both and know which ones you need.

George Woodford clc21025

GM OEM Green Top injectors are available.  Green Tops were used on both the 425 and 350 cid engines.  The retail value is $195 each.  You might be able to get them discounted for about $125 each.  Unless you are maintaining the car in original condition, you might consider the advice above.  GM OEM O-rings, seals, and gromments are available, too.

Steve Preston #16375

I agree with George about using OEM if youre after original parts. However, its hard to justify OEM @ $125.00 ea. against $40.00 ea. for the aftermarket which work just as well. And yes, the blue tops (50 lbs/hr) for the 500 ci & the green tops (42 lbs/hr) are for the 425 ci.

Complete seal kits are available for about $15.00 which includes all necessary rubber parts and copper sealing washers for the fuel rail. Normally replacement injectors only come with the upper o-ring.

Another good idea that I highly recommend is to replace the fuel pressure regulator. They run about $75.00 - $100.00. The seal kits and regulator can be purchased at just about any parts store, I bought mine from Checker Auto.

George Woodford clc21025

When installing the O-rings and seals, use some grease.  A fuel injector cleaning shop can help with supplying the proper grease.  Be extra careful removing the FPR to avoid bending the fuel rail.  The nut that holds the regulator is very tight.  More than likely you will damage the old regulator in the process of removing it.  If the regulator is functional, I would consider not distrubing it.  I serviced my fuel rail on my 1977 Biarritz with new O-rings, seals, and grommets.  I also had the fuel injectors tested and optimized.  A good shop will replace the screens and caps, and clear coat paint the injectors.  The clear coat is a comestic practice to prevent the injector casings from rusting that does not affect the operation.  In addition, when reinstalling the fuel rail, plug in the fuel injectors to the rail, set the injectors into the manifold holes, and install the rail brackets.  Standard Products makes Fuel Pressure Regulators for this vintage system.  I recall they cost about $80 verses GM/AC Delco $300+ for retail.  The OEM are becoming very rare new.  Finally, protect your investment with a Halotron 2.5-pound fire extinguisher.