News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Barrett-Jackson Preview.

Started by 76eldo, November 28, 2012, 06:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76eldo

I received a 50 page preview booklet today in the mail from Barrett-Jackson.

Over 50 pages, only one Cadillac, a pre-war classic.

Tons of muscle cars, cars of all makes from the 30's on up, but only
one Cadillac.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Guidematic

That's something I can't spend much time watching.

Mike
1970 Fleetwood Brougham 68169
1985 Eldorado Coupe 6EL57
1988 Eldorado Biarritz 6EL57
1990 Brougham d'Elegance 6DW69
1994 Fleetwood Brougham 6DW69

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

The "early-bird" B-J catalog for January's auction features vehicles whose consignors paid an extra fee to have their vehicles displayed in the brochure. If you check B-J's website, you'll see lots of Cadillacs that will cross the block in Scottsdale.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Series75

I received last week a mailer on the RM Auction in January.  Featured is a rare limousine, the 1955 Mamie Eisenhower Hess & Eisenhardt parade car.  It has coupe C pillars and sliding rear sunroof so the rear passenger may stand and wave to the crowds.  The picture depicts a shabby looking car with white strip tires and wheel covers versus the sabres and correct wide whites.  Tom CLC#6866

Some very unimpressive Cadillacs brought what I'd consider insane money at last year's B-J Scottsdale sale.

bcroe

They are into muscle cars, because that's where the insane money is.  When
I see that kind of stuff, I just think about how many people could be a little
better off, if that wealth was better distributed.  My cars are dirt cheap, because
the insanity hasn't infected 4 doors.  And if all the numbers match, I haven't
owned it very long.  Bruce Roe

Davidinhartford

Even when they have Cadillacs they go to a commercial break when one is approaching the bidding area.  :(

Mecum auctions at least will feature our cars.

The Tassie Devil(le)

What irks me whenever I get to watch these auctions on the TV is the showmanship, without really focusing on the car, apart for a quick initial showing, and then, as you say, when an interesting vehicle, to me, comes along, they cross to an add.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

I find the commentators somewhat irritating. Not only don't they know what they're talking about half the time, they pretty much ignore Cadillacs the few times they appear on the block while slobbering all over every 'Vette and muscle car as if it was the only one ever made. I had been watching in '07 when the famous '59 Cadillac ELS "Death Car" crossed the block. Here right before them was the lowest known mileage '59 Cadillac in the world but acted as if the car were a '77 Impala, while one of them made childish ghost noises. I was completely turned off by the B-J spectacle ever since.

My present TV service provider does not include SPEED channel in the package I have so it's no great loss.

**Incidentally, were I the owner of "Death Car", B-J would've been the last auction I'd've consigned the car. Car brought no more than a typically restored '59 'Ritz.

Guidematic

Aside from the annoying glitz and showmanship, these auctions do more to hurt our hobby. The prices often are driven to ridiculous heights during the frenzy, that everyone thinks that that's what these cars are worth.

Sure they auction some pretty rarefied cars, but those with the more plebian versions think that their car is worth an insane amount. I did notice after the "71 Hemi Cuda Convertible that went for $1M a few yeas ago, folk with the more coomon examples were advertising their cars for ridiculous amounts. One example, a 318 powered hardtop was advertised at $27,000.

Sure, some sense has come to the market since, but it goes to illustrate what these auctions do.

I have been watching Speed since it was Speed Channel. In the early years it was wonderful. Now it seems it's NASCARS's outlet. I rarely watch it at all anymore.

Mike

I remember a photo ad that would periodically appear in Hemmings of an '80 FB d'E diesel, 3x black. After a few tries at $25K, the guy relists a year later for $50K. When that didn't work he advertises the car for $100K. Then came his last stand at a cool million. His justification? "Watching Barrett Jackson? This car is easily worth that."  ???  By the way, it was a repaint. 

**As good as testamony to the old adage, "A little knowledge is dangerous." 

Guidematic

Quote from: ericdev on November 29, 2012, 10:30:40 AM

**As good as testamony to the old adage, "A little knowledge is dangerous."

I use that one a lot.

Mike