News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1955 Crank shaft

Started by RandyK, March 22, 2023, 02:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandyK

Randyk Dallas
Any idea where I can find a Crank Shaft and Cam Shaft for 55 Eldorado Convertible?
RandyK

Lexi

While I cannot answer your question, I did have my 365 V8 engine rebuilt in late 2018 and installed in 2019. This was just prior to the pandemic, so parts availability was probably better then. My engine rebuilder said that he could obtain both a new crankshaft & camshaft if need be, (I did not ask who the supplier or manufacturer was). Regading the crankshaft, he advised against buying new as it would be a cast unit rather than forged as in the case with my original, he said. My crank was also in nice shape and he suggested that re-grinding as required would probably be far superior in comparison to buying an inferior new product. That was his opinion at that time in my situation. If your crank is shot than a replacement is your only option. Perhaps others can comment on what to look for when sourcing an original used crank or where to buy a replacement (new) unit that will work with your presumeably OEM 331. Clay/Lexi

M. Bankes

Hi,
That's interesting to me Clay, I have never heard of new crankshafts being available. New camshafts are readily available, so I would just go that way.
I did have a bunch of used original, crankshafts, but I don't believe I have another '55 crank available right now
Michael

Lexi

Hello Michael. That is what I thought at the time, but did not ask where such a part would come from. As this shop did a lot of high performance work perhaps they were aware of a replacement, even an older NOS replacement, that would work, albeit with some mods? Shop has been in business since 1964 so perhaps they had some NOS stuff, though aftermarket, lying around? If I go back I will have to ask about that. Clay/Lexi

Jim Miller

Talk with Feltz Terrill at Terrill Machine - DeLeon Texas.
Jim Miller

1941 6219
1949 6237X
1970 CDV
2021 XT6
Past:
1991 SDV
1999 DeElegence
2006 DTS
2013 XTS
2016 SRX

5390john

I've been considering rebuilding the short block on my '55 331 at some point in the next year or so. I think I'll need a new, stock, camshaft plus the usual gasket set and other misc. parts.
Would MUCH prefer top quality US made parts, any opinions on sources would be appreciated.
Look forward to replies!!
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

Lexi

I think Jim Miller's tip about Terrill Machinery is a good one. Before you do anything call them and ask to speak with Feltz as Jim noted. Ask him about what is available and what they can get for you. Clay/Lexi

Bob Kielar

I have a used 1955 crankshaft. I would suggest having it machined before installing. If interested p.m. (personal message) me.

Regards,
Bob Kielar
Keep Cruzin
1955 Cadillac Fleetwood