News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

3D Computer generated parts question.

Started by billyoung, March 22, 2023, 08:34:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyoung

My 1968 Cadillac DeVille convertible is missing one of the rear armrest light plastic covers and apparently they are now made of unobtanium is there any Member that if I supplied my one remaining one would generate a copy? also I am sure that I am not the only person with this problem. If the Member would generate any more I am sure he could sell them.
Age 68, Living in Gods waiting room ( Florida ) Owned over 40 Old Cadillac's from 1955's to 1990 Brougham's. Currently own a 1968 Cadillac DeVille Convertible and a 1992 Cadillac 5.7 Brougham.

Clewisiii

3d printing still is not that great.  Especially for lenses.  Most prototype lenses are made with a master model and silicone mold. 
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

79 Eldorado

Bill,
There are some youtube videos I've come across doing exactly what Carl suggested. There was a good one where the person was making a marking light. It would be interesting for you to see.

You're lucky that you have one good one. If you did not you could try to 3D print a master, trying to get something in a perfect surface finish, and then you could use the 3D master for the mold. The 3D master can, and should, be used as a test fit part before you go through the effort of making a mold.

This was also a good video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMe9MOBjkmc

Here's the one I was thinking of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu1RTkWHA3o

Scott

TJ Hopland

What does the part look like?  Can someone post a picture?

Quote from: Clewisiii on March 22, 2023, 09:09:43 PM3d printing still is not that great.  Especially for lenses.

How close are you involved in or watching 3d printing? Its still growing and advancing practically daily.  Just a few hours ago a 120 foot tall rocket that was 84% 3d printed almost made it into space.  First stage which is the one under the most stress was 100% success as was the separation.  The failure was in the 2nd stage engine which I'm not sure if was 3d printed or not, it was a variant of the first stage engines which worked fine.  Rocket lab has been flying 3d printed engines for a few years now.

For a few years now its been to the point where someone with minimal skills and money can design a part and print it at home on a couple hundred dollar printer to test their design then send that design to a company to get it printed in pretty much any material you can afford. A decent lens probably would not require a rocket grade material or printer.

Ya printing a lens on a $200 printer at home may not be as nice as it should or could be but could be a lot better than not having one at all and if they are that hard to find a heck of a lot cheaper. I did some experimenting with what would amount to a red tail light lens and was amazed at how decent I got it to look with the most basic printer and the most basic filament for home printing. I think getting a filament made to be more translucent would have really helped but about the time I was going to start the next level we found another case of NOS parts so the rush was off.

Several years ago someone here asked about 3d printing parts and I kinda said no way not practical based on some casual research I had done like 6 months earlier.  Others chimed in that were actually having some success which got me looking at it again and the game had changed that much in the 6 months since I had looked into it. I eventually bought a printer and its been a pretty handy and fun tool to have.  I do wish I had more time to learn more about designing parts. I have made some but always wanted a little more detail or a little more complex shape which I know is possible I just don't know how to design it yet.     

StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Clewisiii

I am in Automotive engineering.  Right now consulting. Previously in development for low volume.  3 D printing can give you a strong part.  But they are normally not pretty parts.  Especially anyone you find to make you a one off.  As the filament prints/lays down the layers you are going to have witness marks between each layer.  For anything like a lense where you need a uniform material for light transfer you would see all those layers.  Plus lenses are normally molded in the correct color.  You would need to find a filament of the correct color and opacity.  I don't think that is likely.

Look up alumilite and some of their YouTube videos.

https://www.alumilite.com/

I have bought materials from them and also from Reynolds advance materials.
https://www.reynoldsam.com/product/
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

Here are some 3d printed parts from my reference shelf.  These were printed in nylon.  I don't know if you can see in the close up all of the layer lines.  These are all functional parts.  But they are not things you would want to look at. 

IMG_20230323_081449629.jpgIMG_20230323_081513677.jpg 

Clewisiii

Better images.  Here is a light saber a guy in my shop decided to print.  With this color and material you can really see all the layers.  This one was printed in a mix of ABS and PLA parts. 

IMG_20230323_082801487.jpgIMG_20230323_082810669.jpg

This is the printer we have in the corner. Most likely anyone who will work with you for a one off will use a printer of this size.  Just a home shop toy really.  Uses spools of pre colored filiment an a small print head that lays the material down one small strand at a time.

IMG_20230323_082548634.jpgIMG_20230323_082555086.jpgIMG_20230323_082601164.jpg     

jp1gt

Are they getting any closer to make a part with a sample piece? I guess I mean reasonable price/low volume.

Cadillac Jack 82

I'd like to know if someone could 3d print the rubber boots for my 55s AC system.  That would be spectacular!
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper
1957 Cadillac Series 62
1962 VW Bug
1962 Dodge 880
1966 Mercury Montclair
1967 Buick Wildcat Convertible
1968 Chevy Chevelle SS
1968 Plymouth Barracuda
1977 Lincoln MKV

Clewisiii

The last time I was at a company near me. RCO the could 3D print in a rubber material.  But they would never make anything for less then $5000

The problem is getting it in CAD. They can scan the part but someone still needs to go in and stitch the scan data into a usable model in CAD

joecaristo

I have these 3-D printed for the 71-76 Eldorado and have had no problems with the look or fitment. If anyone needs one I can give a better price if you contact me directly. https://www.ebay.com/itm/165996839608
Joe Caristo

TJ Hopland

How about resin printing for a part like a lens?  There have been inexpensive resin printers for a couple years now and I think you can do thinner layer lines that would maybe look better with a translucent part.   
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Cape Cod Fleetwood

John Abend is doing some amazing 3D with 65-70 Caddy parts, check him out on Facebook on his Cadillac Collective page.
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Michael Petti

I sent you a PM about a person who does this and may do it for you. Contact him if you want and satisfy yourself as to quality and cost.