News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Old newspaper ads.

Started by D.Smith, March 23, 2019, 08:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.Smith

I collect old ads.  I know many others do too. 

I stumbled across these today.   Cadillac often ran different ads in black & white in the newspapers. 

I thought some of you might like to see them.

cadillacmike68

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

59-in-pieces

Dave,
I too love old ads - black and white or color.
However, I just focused on the 59's and tried to get my grubby little hands (don't read anything into that) on only those 59's - all styles.
I got more than a little carried away and started framing them (silver colored frames) behind glass and double mats - grey and Levis blue jeans - blue, 1" spacing.
They are hung on the walls along both side of the hall in the middle of our house.
Love the daily reminders.

I am particularly fond of a 59 Cadillac ad which was mocked by Mad Magazine at the time - and yes I read Mad Magazine and that picture just stuck with me for lets say a long long time, see pics.
I Don't know of any other Cad ad that shares that unique pairing, could be wrong.
But, it does show how influential Cadillacs were, back in the day, no matter how irreverent the comparison might have been.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

veesixteen

Quote from: D.Smith on March 23, 2019, 08:17:05 PM
I collect old ads.  I know many others do too. 

I stumbled across these today.   Cadillac often ran different ads in black & white in the newspapers. 

I thought some of you might like to see them.

I collected Cadillac-LaSalle ads for 30 years. I sold the entire collection (some 2000 of them) to a Swiss friend and collector in Hong-Kong. One day he hopes to make a book of the 100 (why not 1000?) best of them.  They make up a fantastic history and account  of Cadillac styling evolution over 11-12 decades.

I never collected the B&W newspaper ads (hard to store and delicate to manipulate). The late Z. Taylor Vinson made a point of saving these. Preserving them was a major issue. When he passed and I was asked by his family to help catalog all the Cadillac-LaSalle literature items, I photographed all the N/P ads I could find (piled loosely under the bed!).  I have *.jpg lists from 1946 to around 1970 ... if anyone is interested.

I did "process" a number of my snapshots but simply don't have time to do them all. I am attaching a few samples.   
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

veesixteen

Here is another sample B&W newspaper ad showing what an "original" ad looks like before I start any processing.
BTW, this one will be is an "easy" conversion when I get around to it.

D.Smith

Matt CLC#18621

Love your Treasure Trove Dave!

I saw my first 67 Eldorado in 1974. I collected Thunderbird ads from National Geographic and I came across the silver and red 67 Fleetwood Eldorado picture ads in NG and became hooked.

Thanks again and please keep publishing.

Best regards,
Matt

D.Smith

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I always considered Cadillac ads of the forties to be among the most beautifully illustrated.

Notice how the artist "stretched" the cars to make them appear longer and lower than they really were.

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jeff Maltby 4194

I have a bunch of vintage early 50's SF newspaper ads.

Back with more asap :<)
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

5390john

During the 7 year restoration of my '55 CDV, I went to the University of Oregon library in Eugene OR to review microfiche files of the Grants Pass OR "Daily Courier"newspaper from Fall 1954 through Fall 1956. I was looking for Cadillac ads from the local dealer, Menasco Motors, where my car was sold new. I was able to download selected pages and e-mail to myself as PDF's.

Fast forward to last year's SEMA show, I met Jim Owens, an artist displaying his art in the artist's section of the show. He has a technique of gluing newspaper to canvas and then creating an oil painting on the newspaper. I saw his work and thought it was the coolest art I had ever seen. I commissioned him to do a painting of my car on printed dealer ads from where my car was sold new, and from the same year, 1955.

Attached is a sample of the downloaded PDF from the newspaper. It's like a step back in time! It struck me that if you look closely and read a few of the articles, today's news isn't all that different.

I am expecting my commissioned painting sometime in the next 2 weeks.
John Adams
1955 CDV "Marilyn"

"Panic Accordingly"

D.Smith

One from 1952.
Full size and a smaller version easier to see on the page.

D.Smith

a few more from 49 and 59

veesixteen

Quote from: D.Smith on March 27, 2019, 08:37:54 AM
One from 1952.
Full size and a smaller version easier to see on the page.

Another great selection! You seem to get better results than me.
It all takes time !

veesixteen

Quote from: 5390john on March 26, 2019, 12:24:33 AM

I believe I have most of the B&W ads in that *.PDF, from newspapers of the time.
I will need to go through all of them to make sure.

Thanks for sharing.

D.Smith

A 1961.

Yann,   I get my scans from the Newspapers.com website.

You can download huge sized pages.  Yes, you need a subscription.   But I think they still offer a 7 day free trial. 

After I download the page, I crop the ad, then edit out any ink spots, adjust the brightness and fill in any missing ink.   
Yes it takes time but the results have been very good.

Bill Young

The difference between advertising about Cadillac's in the 40's thru 70's and the advertising today is the Cadillac ad's were eloquent and rightly so as the product was as good as was stated. The crap today is mass produced junk that is designed to fail and not be repairable.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Bill Young on March 30, 2019, 11:14:31 AM
The difference between advertising about Cadillac's in the 40's thru 70's and the advertising today is the Cadillac ad's were eloquent and rightly so as the product was as good as was stated. The crap today is mass produced junk that is designed to fail and not be repairable.

Not really.  Cars became more and more durable and longer lasting following the 1940s-70s period you mentioned with improvements in corrosion protection, transmissions and other major components.  Cars were junked/salvaged at a much faster rate in the 1970s and before than they have been in decades since.  The average age of cars on the road today is more than twice what it was in 1970 thanks in large part to these quality/durability improvements.

Bill Young

When they do get older and fail they are essentially unrestorable due to mass use of plastics that the plasticisers leach out of making them loose color and brittle and computers that will become unsupportable .

kimberlin1974

Advertisement from Guy F Johnson Dealer in Binghamton New York.