News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Why do we collect vintage Cadillacs?

Started by jwwseville60, February 02, 2023, 04:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Nellis

I just returned from a family vacation with no computer and this was the first thing I read. Start to finish with everyone's comments. I couldn't agree more with the consensus. All I might add would be from a "hearse lover's" perspective: When I was a boy I attended my great-grandmother's funeral. It was my first funeral and I  got real close to that long, low, gleaming Cadillac hearse dripping with chrome. When they opened the back door and I took a long, hard, starry-eyed look in the back at all those curtains and appointments my jaw almost dropped to the ground. It did feel strange having such an exhilarating feeling on such a somber day, but I couldn't help it. From that day forward I was meant to own, drive, and care for Cadillac hearses. Not Pontiac, Buick, or Packard hearses. To me Cadillacs have always been the epitome of class, grace, and style.
    As I have stated before, I don't even need to drive my vintage Cadillacs to derive immense pleasure from them. Just going out to the garage and sitting in them on a snowy, or rainy night will completely abolish any negativity from my mind. Thanks John for your thought-provoking insights kicking-off this wonderful thread.
1957 Eureka Hearse
1965 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Miller-Meteor Hearse
1968 Fleetwood Brougham
1970 Superior Hearse

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: billyoung on February 05, 2023, 08:58:12 AMUnlike most current advertising that if you buy the product it many times is a let down, I still have many 1950's and 1960's Cadillac magazine ad's as I Love them and rather than misleading they are accurate regarding the quality and mystique the car invoked. There really is nothing produced in todays world that even approaches what a Cadillac represented worldwide then.

I couldn't agree more Bill. As William D'Arcy, head of Cadillac's advertising firm put it, "I don't sell mechanism; I sell a state of mind."
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

jaxops

Quote from: Scott Nellis on February 09, 2023, 11:41:27 PMWhen I was a boy I attended my great-grandmother's funeral. It was my first funeral and I  got real close to that long, low, gleaming Cadillac hearse dripping with chrome. When they opened the back door and I took a long, hard, starry-eyed look in the back at all those curtains and appointments my jaw almost dropped to the ground. It did feel strange having such an exhilarating feeling on such a somber day, but I couldn't help it. From that day forward I was meant to own, drive, and care for Cadillac hearses.

I can agree.  We had a 1958 Cadillac hearse with a brushed red velvet interior.  It had a unique smell from the velvet I'll never forget.  We shared it with the Ambrose Funeral Home. I loved the fins and the bumper-exhaust.  It had a throaty thrum when idling. Unfortunately the wife ("The Boss") didn't want to to get it decades later when the Ambrose's sold their funeral home.  I used to drive the hearses for funerals, and when I got more experienced, drove the family car.  Somehow I never got lost in Philadelphia with no GPS or map....just scribbled directions.  Thanks for preserving those hearses!!!
1970 Buick Electra Convertible
1956 Cadillac Series 75 Limousine
1949 Cadillac Series 75 Imperial Limousine
1979 Lincoln Continental
AACA, Cadillac-LaSalle Club #24591, ASWOA

Lexi

Quote from: jaxops on February 20, 2023, 08:23:38 AMI can agree.  We had a 1958 Cadillac hearse with a brushed red velvet interior.  It had a unique smell from the velvet I'll never forget. 

Yes, all old cars especially those in their original state, have a certain old car smell to them that is unique. Tried to explain to the wife about "that old car smell", and that I wish I could bottle it and sell at swap meets, but she doesn't get it. Her response when she first stuck her head in Lexi was, "It smells. I don't like it". LOL. Tried to explain that we as car guys want that. She thought I was nuts and did everything but back away making the sign of the cross. Yes, those wonderful aromas do trigger memories. There are contemporary products that mimic "That new car smell", why not "that old car smell"? Clay/Lexi

James Landi

"...why not an old car smell."   I think you have a great idea for a marketable item.  James

Lexi

LOL! That is what I thought. For a while I worked in the Haunted Attraction industry and a company called "Sinister Scents" made all sorts of odours that one could use in their Haunt to add to the attraction's overall experience. That company also set up at the large Haunted Expo trade shows. Off hand I do not remember old car or even salvage yard odours in their catalog but perhaps that has changed? Their burning electrical sampler was awesome. Very realistic, (speaking from experience). Imagine going for a ride in a member's pride and joy and triggering that! Clay/Lexi