News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

The ARK arrives at the body shop

Started by Cape Cod Fleetwood, February 22, 2022, 12:40:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highwayman68

1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cape Cod Fleetwood

There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Big Fins

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on February 27, 2022, 11:32:50 PM
NICE! Us gingers are heart breakers and soul stealers.

Yep! I've been married to one for 33 1/2 years now. Not sure if it was the red head or the blue eyes.

Looking good! Must be nice to be rich!!!!!!  ;D  I'll never know, I have a redhead to keep happy.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1977 Brougham de Elegance
1976 Eldorado Convertible
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1970 de Ville Convertible
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Big Fins on March 16, 2022, 10:02:31 AM
Yep! I've been married to one for 33 1/2 years now. Not sure if it was the red head or the blue eyes.

Looking good! Must be nice to be rich!!!!!!  ;D  I'll never know, I have a redhead to keep happy.

I have a red head to keep happy too Fins, Moi.  ;)

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Big Fins

Can I be nosy and ask what the basic strip and paint ran you? I'm figuring in todays market that can touch 20 large to do a nice job. I thought about selling the FWB to facilitate painting the ElDorado. But like they say, It's only original once.

There again, the FWB is almost too solid a car to part with. Like riding on a cloud and handles just as nice.
Current:
1976 Eldorado Convertible in Crystal Blue FireMist with white interior and top. (Misty Blue)
1969 Fleetwood Brougham in Chalice Gold FireMist with matching interior and top. (The Old Man) SOLD!

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Mike Baillargeon #15848

Quote from: Big Fins on March 16, 2022, 01:45:38 PM
Can I be nosy and ask what the basic strip and paint ran you? I'm figuring in todays market that can touch 20 large to do a nice job. I thought about selling the FWB to facilitate painting the ElDorado. But like they say, It's only original once.

There again, the FWB is almost too solid a car to part with. Like riding on a cloud and handles just as nice.

John, when it comes time to part with your 1969 FWB.....come and find me....I'm in....

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

Big Fins

I promised Glenn Brown, first dibs. Should he pass on it, you are next in line.  :)

I'm sure that Glenn would have to have the floor reconfigured to move the front seat back about a foot or so. He looked awful tight in there to me and I always have the seat all the way back.
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Big Fins on March 16, 2022, 01:45:38 PM

Fins the Ark is getting much more in addition to a full strip of 3 paint jobs and repaint. There was a TON of metal work, cutting out corrosion, welding in new panels, new door, new trunk lid, lots of work on/replacement of stainless and chrome, all new weather stripping, etc. LOTS of misc work too and the shop is simply hitting it out of the park, they're doing a phenomenal job.

I'm in charge of paint, I ordered it yesterday, PPG, data plate correct code 93 Lucerne Aqua Poly, (d/b/a Mazda 305A) $1500 - just for paint. And this price will be higher next week, next month, forever until we get our oil situation back to where it was. If the car needs NO BODY work, and you can find someone to do a correct paint job for 20K on a barge this big? I'd jump on that and get it in writing ASAP. The cost of paint and other needed chemicals is going up, daily.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Poly coat going on, the car is going to be laser straight.
The PPG paint arrived locally late Friday and was test sprayed on Saturday - PERFECT!
I'll be bringing the paint to the shop next week, and NO I don't want to see the car in its current state.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Caddyholic

Laurie

Post bigger pictures. These are too small to see on a phone.
I got myself a Cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline (AC/DC Down Payment Blues)

1961 Series 62 Convertible Coupe http://bit.ly/1RCYsVZ
1962 Coupe Deville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Caddyholic on March 20, 2022, 11:44:39 AM
Laurie

Post bigger pictures. These are too small to see on a phone.

Hire a photographer. These are the pics I get from the shop.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Highwayman68

Why would you use a shop that provides such crappy pictures??? Where are your priorities, the work on the car or the pictures documenting the work??? LOL  ;D

Caddyholic the pictures being provided are undoubtedly a part of the negotiations by the shop, who most likely knows how Laurie is, to keep her away from the shop while her car is being worked on  ;D :o :)
1968 Fleetwood Purchased in 1981

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Highwayman68 on March 21, 2022, 01:43:29 PM
Why would you use a shop that provides such crappy pictures??? Where are your priorities, the work on the car or the pictures documenting the work??? LOL  ;D

Caddyholic the pictures being provided are undoubtedly a part of the negotiations by the shop, who most likely knows how Laurie is, to keep her away from the shop while her car is being worked on  ;D :o :)

Well played Mark. Actually, this shop WANTS me to show up and see what's happening. I refuse. If Michael got a smudge
on a whitewall doing mntx I lost my mind. Could you imagine my reaction seeing The Ark in pieces, the interior full of dust,
the body sanded to metal, poly coated, whatever. I have enough images that give me nightmares, the pictures I get make
me woozy some times. I'm bringing the paint up there today, they know, I *DO NOT* want to see the car. Here's more pics,
getting that hood laser level, the fender, the new trunk lid is on!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Big Fins

Quote from: Cape Cod Fleetwood on March 22, 2022, 07:47:47 AM
Well played Mark. Actually, this shop WANTS me to show up and see what's happening. I refuse. If Michael got a smudge
on a whitewall doing mntx I lost my mind. Could you imagine my reaction seeing The Ark in pieces, the interior full of dust,
the body sanded to metal, poly coated, whatever. I have enough images that give me nightmares, the pictures I get make
me woozy some times. I'm bringing the paint up there today, they know, I *DO NOT* want to see the car. Here's more pics,
getting that hood laser level, the fender, the new trunk lid is on!

LMAO!!!
Current:

Past and much missed:
1972 Fleetwood Brougham
1971 Sedan de Ville
1969 Sedan de Ville
1959 Sedan deVille

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Brought the $1566.13 for 1.5 gallons of PPG paint (w/reducer) up yesterday, and yes, I saw The Ark - copy/paste from my FB page.

I made the trip to the body shop today with the paint and 2nd payment. Everyone was briefed, I *DO NOT* want to see The Ark, the pictures make me nauseous. I know the job is being done incredibly well, I don't need to see sausage being made, got it? No problem.

I'm getting the paint out of the car, they're bringing parts to me that I'll try to replace with better ones, and guess who pulls in behind me (pre-planned)? My dear old friend Michael Fernandez, whom I've known for 30+ years, we were on the PD together, he went on to an illustrious career in law enforcement out west. We always stayed in touch, always. Email, phone, video when it became a 'thing'. But we haven't shared the same air in 30+ years, we hugged so tightly we nearly broke each other's backs. Joyous!

Now Michael's like "I'd like to see the car, c'mon, I got your back Sarge..." Just the courage, the "back up", I needed.

So this huge 20' blob of steel is The Ark? His face is gone, the car looked so 'vulnerable'. The work they are doing, is simply insane. The attention to detail, parts being made, welding in a new battery tray, support brackets, more welding and fabricating, the sculpting of the body with the new parts and making the old body straight and perfect again. Its art, there's emotion to it. There has to be, its too time consuming. And I appreciate art, especially when its The Ark. But even with Michael there, who had my back, I'd had enough, Billy handed me an air hose at the door on the way out since I was covered in dust. I'm pretty proud of myself for lasting as long as I did. I even took pics, they're attached here. I couldn't help myself, back to the front of the car, stroked his hood "its for your own good, you'll be home soon..." argh...

Off to Kane's Donuts for a coffee with my old friend and again so proud of myself for NOT getting a donut there, oh my God they looked so good. Looking forward to seeing Michael and his beautiful family down here on the Cape soon. There's much more to catch up on in person.

Where my north shore peeps at? WAZE took me from my driveway to the shop. I'm a Meffa girl, Boston girl, decades. The ride around the airport, to 1A, past Suffolk Downs where I worked for years, to the route 60 rotary (Westgate? Sozio's? Where was the Red Barn deli?) out to 107, the GE plant... THESE WERE MY STOMPING GROUNDS! I recognized - nothing, except for Blanchards and they painted that. The ride home was more exciting, with a crash in the tunnel WAZE took me downtown, D Street, Summer Street, the waterfront. I KNOW THIS AREA! At least I did, I recognized nothing. Out to Castle Island before picking up Freeport Street back onto the expressway, I recognized nothing. Jeez.

Screaming down 3 south around Deluxebury, then it hit me, what I had seen of The Ark. Not now Kraynick, 80mph in the left lane in heavy traffic, now is NOT the time, suck it up, drive the car, pay attention, fall apart when you're back in the chocks.

Stopped at Market Basket over the bridge, I had 4 (four) items on my list. $145 later I was on my way home to KKBTS.

I've had a dozen shrimp to eat today, I'll eat tomorrow, long day. Grateful and absolutely Blessed. Hope you all can say the same about your day today.

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

"So this huge 20' blob of steel is The Ark? His face is gone, ... Its art, there's emotion to it. There has to be, its too time consuming. And I appreciate art, especially when its The Ark. But even with Michael there, who had my back, I'd had enough, Billy handed me an air hose at the door on the way out since I was covered in dust.."

It's a wonderful experience when folks whom you hire passionately commit to your mission and fully engage, and you've so eloquently captured and crystalized this moment of recognition in your post.  James

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: James Landi on March 24, 2022, 07:14:16 AM
"So this huge 20' blob of steel is The Ark? His face is gone, ... Its art, there's emotion to it. There has to be, its too time consuming. And I appreciate art, especially when its The Ark. But even with Michael there, who had my back, I'd had enough, Billy handed me an air hose at the door on the way out since I was covered in dust.."

It's a wonderful experience when folks whom you hire passionately commit to your mission and fully engage, and you've so eloquently captured and crystalized this moment of recognition in your post.  James

James they've engaged far more than I thought anyone ever would. Its really personal with them.
I like to write, journalism was my 2nd favorite subject in high school, civics being the first. I want people
to see, feel what I did while using limited adjectives which become boring quickly.

Are you still on Facebook?

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

James Landi

Over my 50 years as a school man, and having headed a couple of English departements, taught many hundreds of high school kids "English," headed 4 college prep private schools, and read my share of classics,  your writing style engages and connects in every profound way.  Happy day Laurie,  James

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: James Landi on March 24, 2022, 01:18:49 PM
Over my 50 years as a school man, and having headed a couple of English departements, taught many hundreds of high school kids "English," headed 4 college prep private schools, and read my share of classics,  your writing style engages and connects in every profound way.  Happy day Laurie,  James

I have 2 friends who are very well educated engineers (mechanical) from banner schools. They can wield the English language like a weapon. I envy them for their linguistic precision.

So why aren't you still on Facebook???

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Guess who has a right side mirror now!
This is a HUGE quality of life (and safety) improvement. It physically hurt to have to twist my back/body
to the right to check for vehicles on the starboard side, especially at highway speed, forcing me to divert my
attention from the bow, port side and rear. This is a real 1970 dealer add-on mirror, procured from Charles Fares (RIP)
2 years ago. Its good to have another piece of Charles on board The Ark...

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville