News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Hydramatic bushing clearance

Started by Roman_cadillac, March 11, 2023, 07:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roman_cadillac

Hi all! I rebuilding hydramatic on my 59 caddy.  This is my first automatic transmmission. Never rebuild it. i have some questions.

What is correct clearance for bell housing bushing?  Install new bell housing bushing from "ftasco". Clearance 0,008".   

What is correct clearance for other bushings?

Sorry for my english

Roger Zimmermann

As far as I know, there is no specification about the play. I'm replacing bushings only if they are scored or damaged. When the surface is smooth, I don't touch them.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Roman_cadillac

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann on March 12, 2023, 04:02:06 AMAs far as I know, there is no specification about the play. I'm replacing bushings only if they are scored or damaged. When the surface is smooth, I don't touch them.

I agree!   

oem bushing have damage

Roger Zimmermann

Yep! This one is to be replaced. You have also to evaluate why it was damaged that way. You'll have to play Sherlock Holmes!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Chopper1942

Check the hub on the converter. If badly scored it needs an new converter. If just light scoring, use some fine crocus cloth to polish the hub. Scoring was probably caused by piece of metal left in the trans when built, unless you had a major failure of the trans.